Tile rendering issues on Android Tablets?

I picked up one of the Fire 7" tablets on sale and have been quite happy with it. However, most icon images for don’t display correctly on the Fire. They work fine on all the other android devices I have. E.g., here’s a dimmer on my phone and on the fire.

The Fire is running FireOS5.0.2 and is rooted but otherwise stock (not that rooting should matter).

Do other people see this on the Fire? Anything I can do to get it to refresh the icon images?

UPDATE: it looks like the app fails exactly the same way on a Samsung Galaxy 3 Tab Lite
After being told by someone in SmartThings support that they were not surprised that the Fire Tablet didn’t work properly, because:

The reason that I said it was not surprising that the Kindle Fire does
not work is due to it running an extremely customized version of the
Android operating system.

This just didn’t seem right. I headed off to a nearby Staples and installed the SmartThings App on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite 7" (running 4.2 JellyBean), logged into my account with a temporary password and pulled up the exact same dimmer switch. I was not terribly surprised to see that the Samsung tablet fails exactly the same was as the Fire tablet:

1 Like

I have a Fire Phone and the SmartThings App seems to work OK.
Be sure to uninstall and reinstall to force a refresh of the App cache.

(Alternatively, checkout the SmartTiles browser based SmartThings client app that I co-develop.)

I uninstalled and reinstalled, but it didn’t help. I also wiped data and cache and it didn’t help.

Not all images are missing. Ones I’ve set (for users) work. The icons on the SHM screen show up, as do the ones on the Routines page and the per-App ones on SmartApps page. But none of them show up on the Things page or inside individual things.

(I’ve tried SmartTiles and I like it. I think it may be what this tablet is eventually used for when I mount it to a wall.)

1 Like

At one point in time, the SmartThings App required “Google Services”, and that would effect its functionality. But my “old” Fire Phone seems to be doing OK… I just checked inside some Things.

You may have to write support@smartthings.com for a review of your individual details…

I’m seeing the same problem on my 7" Fire tablet. Rooted with FireOS5.1.1, installed the google play store, but otherwise stock.

I also installed the Play Store and so I have Google Services.

Darn… I wished we’d found an easy solution. Ironically, I believe I side-loaded SmartThings onto the Fire Phone, and I don’t have Google Services / Play Store.

I contacted support as suggest above. You should mail them also.

1 Like

I’ve contacted support before and at that time they had no interest in supporting Fire OS.

Perhaps worth trying Cyanogen or some other ROM? I’m going to look into ROM-ing my Fire Phone soon … it was nifty to play with for a while, but I miss “real” Android…

Once I rooted it and put the Play store on it, I downloaded all my standard apps and was able to make it look like every other Android device I have. I already use Nova launcher everywhere else. The only time I remember its FireOS is when I open the settings.

1 Like

After being told by someone in SmartThings support that they were not surprised that the Fire Tablet didn’t work properly, because:

The reason that I said it was not surprising that the Kindle Fire does
not work is due to it running an extremely customized version of the
Android operating system.

This just didn’t seem right. I headed off to a nearby Staples and installed the SmartThings App on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite 7" (running 4.2 JellyBean), logged into my account with a temporary password and pulled up the exact same dimmer switch. I was not terribly surprised to see that the Samsung tablet fails exactly the same was as the Fire tablet:

1 Like

Frankly, I’m surprised when the the app renders on any device… If you read the comments on the latest update (2.1.0?), fonts, icons, colors, menus, etc., change with every release and are broken to different degrees on popular Android variants.

Is the issue “Android Version 4.2” vs newer kernels?

(I’m so glad that we’re SmartTiles is designed for browser rendering only. Quite a lot less fragmentation; though, frankly, we’re also making sure to keep the App simple and conforming to HTML5 standards.)