I don’t really have a place i can install all of the dev tools for edge development - I couldn’t get it working on chromebook or raspberry pi and I cannot use my work laptop for this kind of thing so up until now I have been using a really old family windows PC that I have been powering on each time I need to debug, dev or test something. This was frustrating as it meant i could only do it at that one desk.
I decided to look into what I could do that is more modern approach - and it is working pretty sweet, so I thought i would share here. I can now dev and test edge drivers in 2 browser windows from any machine.
This isn’t intended to be a guide you can follow, more an inspiration for anybody facing similar problems.
As my code is in github I decided to use github.dev as an ide, this allows me to edit the code using a web based version of ms code, and commit the code to a feature branch directly on that webpage
- I setup a free virtual machine on oracle cloud
- installed git so i can pull the code to that machine
- Use a second browser tab and oracle cloud console to ssh into the virtual machine
- installed the smartthings cli on the virtual machine - auth it using pat token
- this allows me to publish drivers to my channels and install them to my hub
- I used the same oracle VM with the CLI installed for testing on my hub using logcat
- to do this I added the VM to my tailscale (free) network so that the VM could access my home network and 192 addresses (i already had tailscale setup - it’s great)
- this means i can run logcat in the cloud connected to me st hub
Interested to hear if anybody else has took a lightweight approach, and what you have done.