[Deprecated] Thinking Cleaner 2.x (Roomba Control)

I purchased it a few weeks ago from Costco, it’s the 805 model.

1 Like

Then you’re good with the series setting. Between 2015/16 iRobot implemented new firmware on the Roomba itself whereby it would go into a standby/sleep mode which would disconnect power to the Thinking Cleaner module, obviously taking it offline if left even for a short period of time.

The “Keep Awake” setting is required to keep the Thinking Cleaner module online which is required to have any control over the Roomba.

I have the same model, and here are my settings.

As @AdamV mentioned, make sure you only have 1 version of the Device Type as multiple versions (Mine and Sid’s) will cause issues.

I received my Thinking Cleaner today and have just set up this SmartApp. So cool to have this integrated into smartthings, thanks!

I was wondering if there was a way of using CoRE to change the cleaning setting of the smartapp. For example I thought it would be a good idea to say if Monday-Thursday do a clean but if Friday do a Max Clean.

Since this is a setting in the device type and not a command this would not be available from CoRE. I can take a look at making it available in future updates, but I’m currently working on pause and delay clean options. I will continue attempting to support and improve this Device Type and Smart App and only ask that if you appreciate my efforts please donate to my preferred local charity as a thank you:

1 Like

@Tino_Race I have added Clean and Max Clean as commands in the DTH so you can use in CoRE and testing (working for me). I am running into an issue with the Pause and Delay clean that I’m working on which is causing me to delay the release of the new version. Im currently working with Thinking Cleaner to see why the issue occuring.

I have a 630 Roomba and i attempted to connect the new device handler. I removed the older version and added the new handler and app. I set the ip address via the app and it successfully converted it to hex on its own. But on the device in my phone all it says “checking”. It never connects even though i can control it just fine via my think cleaner app or the roomba’s webui.

From the device settings be sure the port is correct and debug is on. From th device select refresh and provide the IDE live logging for more troubleshooting. this way we can see if the command is sent and if a response is received.

I am assuming it is port 80 since i connect via the roomba webui via http://http://192.168.1.117/

d45b7fef-0bc4-43da-bc19-2e2e336269f5 2:17:49 PM: debug The Refresh Status Command was sent
d45b7fef-0bc4-43da-bc19-2e2e336269f5 2:17:49 PM: debug Executing ‘refresh’
d45b7fef-0bc4-43da-bc19-2e2e336269f5 2:17:49 PM: debug The Refresh Status Command was sent
d45b7fef-0bc4-43da-bc19-2e2e336269f5 2:17:49 PM: debug Network is not connected
d45b7fef-0bc4-43da-bc19-2e2e336269f5 2:17:49 PM: debug Executing ‘poll’
d45b7fef-0bc4-43da-bc19-2e2e336269f5 2:17:49 PM: info Thinking Cleaner Version 2.0 Copyright © 2016 pmjoen
d45b7fef-0bc4-43da-bc19-2e2e336269f5 2:17:49 PM: debug Updated with settings: [ip:192.168.1.117, port:80, cleanmode:Clean, debug_pref:true]
d45b7fef-0bc4-43da-bc19-2e2e336269f5 2:16:59 PM: debug The Refresh Status Command was sent
d45b7fef-0bc4-43da-bc19-2e2e336269f5 2:16:59 PM: debug Executing ‘refresh’
d45b7fef-0bc4-43da-bc19-2e2e336269f5 2:16:59 PM: debug The Refresh Status Command was sent
d45b7fef-0bc4-43da-bc19-2e2e336269f5 2:16:59 PM: debug Network is not connected
d45b7fef-0bc4-43da-bc19-2e2e336269f5 2:16:59 PM: debug Executing ‘poll’
d45b7fef-0bc4-43da-bc19-2e2e336269f5 2:16:59 PM: info Thinking Cleaner Version 2.0 Copyright © 2016 pmjoen
d45b7fef-0bc4-43da-bc19-2e2e336269f5 2:16:59 PM: debug Updated with settings: [ip:192.168.1.117, port:80, cleanmode:Clean, debug_pref:true]

Looks like it is not getting a response from the roomba per the below in the live logging:

debug Network is not connected

Can you send a screen shot of the roomba options in the roomba remote by typing the up of the roomba in a web browser?

So i finally just got somewhere with this thing in the last few minutes. I changed the IP address of the Smartthings device and did a factory reset of the Thinking Cleaner. After 2 tries it finally connected and i can now control it via smartthings. Thanks for your help. So far so good this is the first time i have been able to control my roomba via smartthings. The old app would only beep and not actually run unless i pressed it twice or three times.

@helmet0628 I’m glad the reset finally got your Roomba working, and great to see this new version is more stable for you. I have new code to enable clean or max clean via CoRE but waiting for response from Thinking cleaner for the pause and delay clean (may release without pause and delay if I don’t hear back soon).

I will continue attempting to support and improve this Device Type and Smart App and only ask that if you appreciate my efforts please donate to my preferred local charity as a thank you:

1 Like

@Tino_Race I have added Clean and Max Clean as commands in the DTH so you can now use in CoRE and released as version 2.1. Working thinking cleaner on the pause and delay clean as they are not working when the command is sent (Said they haven’t validated that function in the API in a while).

2 Likes

Can you explain in detail what you did. I have same issues. Roomba makes the noise as if it’s about to clean but never leaves the base. Only if I hit clean several times will it begin to clean

Have you installed the DTH in this thread, not from the other one.

Make sure your remove the device handler from the old one and remove the old smart app

Thanks again

I removed the device handler, the smart app and the device (Roomba) itself and started again from scratch. Still have the same issue.
I see the exact same issue within the ThinkingCleaner App too - ONLY when I have everything linked up in SmartThings. As soon as I deleted the smart app, Device handler, and device from IDE, the ThinkingCleaner app behaves as normal.
I’m stumped.

Linking the Roomba through smartthings should have no impact on how the Thinking Cleaner app works. You should try to perform a factory reset of the thinking cleaner module and set it back up similar to @helmet0628.

http://www.thinkingcleaner.com/setup/reset_thinking_cleaner/

I have released version 2.2 with the following:

• Added pause cleaning function.
  • Modified beep status updates.
  • Fixed bug for error when undocking before cleaning.
  • Additional status error handling.

Awaiting response from Thinking Cleaner for delay clean that does not seem to be working.

1 Like