Thinking About Switching Teams (Wink to SmartThings)

I used to use Wink a long time ago. I started out home automation with Wink. It was an utterly utterly terrible experience that nearly put me off the hobby completely.

With that being said, Wink has come a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way since then and is a much better platform and with that being said, I still think SmartThings is better by a long shot. Not without its own issues but I’ll take those trade offs/negatives with ST over Wink in a heartbeat.

We’d need to know your full list of devices/models to know what will work and what won’t work/will be unstable. In general I find ZigBee the least stable on Wink and ST and personally, I have a much higher preference for Z-Wave or “LAN connected” devices (which really means any WiFi connected devices as well).

GoControl stuff (door/window, motion, siren)

Most GoControl stuff is Z-Wave and usually works out of the box, otherwise, custom DTHs can be found.

Quirky Trippers

I think these are ZigBee…

Schlage z-wave locks

These are supported out of the crate so you should be good here.

Lutron Caseta (This is a big one. All of my lights are Caseta.)

I’m assuming you’re connecting these directly to Wink which I believe it has its own Caseta radio, the ST hub doesn’t have this radio BUT you can get a Lutron SmartBridge hub and connect them through there:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000864766-How-to-connect-Lutron-Caséta-devices

Hue (I’d love to not use the Hue bridge at all anymore, honestly. All I have on Hue is the rope lights.)

Technically you can connect Hue lights directly to the ST hub but DON’T DO IT, there are some actual technical reasons why you shouldn’t, reasons that can cause big issues for your Hue devices if you do decide to pair them directly with ST but again, DON’T DO THIS. Connections through the Hue Bridge actually work very very well, stick with the Hue bridge.

Hampton Bay Wink enabled fans

Nest equipment (smoke detectors, thermostat, cameras)

Not officially supported HOWEVER, NST Manager IS THE MOST AMAZING THING IN THE WORLD, do not use anything else!:

Ring doorbell & floodlight cam

Currently only the Ring Pro is officially supported for video however, RVD2 works I believe (if you just tell it it’s a Pro) and I believe RVD1 will pair so you can use them as “motion sensor” and “button” type devices. The Floodlights and SLCs are rumoured to be supported in the future but we haven’t heard anything in a while, I’d like this as well!

Rheem Water Heater

Do you have they Hybrid one? Technically there is this:

However, might I offer an alternative, personally, I have my Rheem water heater paired directly with my Nest account, I have NST Manager installed in ST to hook my Nest account to ST. What happens is the following:

SmartThings changes mode to away → NST Manager tells my Nest account to change to away → My Rheem account sees that Nest has gone to away and changes the water heater into “eco” mode (which is actually just vacation mode.

I don’t know if it has changed with Wink but originally you could only add one device at a time, with ST you can add multiple and it’s glorious, I start the search and then go round pressing all my light and fan switches. Custom devices can be a bit of a pain adding the Device Type Handler and/or SmartApp code to your account but at least you have the option, whereas with Wink, you’re stuck with only being able to use whatever they support (with some Z-Wave exceptions).

The SmartThings app is pretty good but does have some glaring issues (font sizes anyone?), with that being said, SmartThings encourages you to do more smart home automation instead of just being a smart home controller and thus if automated properly, you’ll need to use the app very little. There is the option of IFTTT and Stringify and so on however, my advice is that you avoid these like the plague, they should only ever be used as a very last resort and you should automate things in this order first where possible:

1. Built in functionality

If not possible then

1. WebCoRE

If not possible then

1. IFTTT/Stringify etc.

I also recommend that to make the installation of some of the most popular DTH/SAs (including NST Manager and WebCoRE mentioned above) ultra ultra simple, install this first:

3 Likes