Things I like BETTER about the new app vs Classic

This is a great thread.

The “new App” is something I’m looking forward to, with a few concerns:

• Members of this Community / “the developer community” haven’t been told about all these new features and characteristics of the new app, nor the details of what is or will be deprecated from the old app. While I don’t request an exact timeline, surely there is a master plan as to what the new app will be comprised of?

• New SmartThings customers are told to go directly to the new app, without being given an explanation of the readiness (or lack thereof) of it vs. the advance features they may be able to use (in the meantime) in the Classic app.

• The exact relationship between the new App and the new API is not clear. Is the new API mandatory for SmartApps and/or DHs to run in the new App? … I think SmartApps work, but not all of them (there are no Routines to be called, for example); but DHs do not work, since the UI is different. Is the deprecation timeline for the old App and the old API the same? Or will the Classic App be deprecated (and possibly disabled) long before old SmartApps cease to be compatible?

• Why is the Community Forum so quiet these days? Are folks quietly buried in development for the new App and/or new API; or are we all waiting for those to stabilize first. Or is it just the lack of development advocacy from SmartThings? Or is there a completely different Samsung Forum for the new API?

4 Likes