.things gTLD

(Brice; SmartRulesApp.com) #1

This is very random and probably not cost effective, but I was just trying to buy a domain name for a new project and thought it would be cool if SmartThings (with Samsung’s help) bought a new gTLD , “.things”, for SmartThings. SmartThings could take “smart.things” and then open up the rest to third party developers. This could be really nice once you open up an app store and more third party developers come in.

(Ben Edwards) #2

How much is it to do that sort of thing? Ballpark?

(Brice; SmartRulesApp.com) #3

Looks like its pretty expensive: (from here)

1. How Much Will Registration Cost?
    The evaluation fee from prospective applicants is $185,000. According to the gTLD Applicant Guidebook, a $5,000 deposit is required “at the time the user requests an application slot within TAS, and a payment of the remaining $180,000 submitted with the full application.”

This is just to start the evaluation process. Additional fees may be required during the course of the application review process, and this fee doesn’t include additional infrastructure fees that a gTLD may generate.

I’ll put it on my expense report :slight_smile:

There are the initial fees, but the applicant is also signing up to be the administrator of that namespace, a whole series of ongoing costs. Including dealing with other people’s trademark disputes.

http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/customer-service/faqs/faqs-en

The application for a new gTLD is a much more complex process. An applicant for a new gTLD is, in fact, applying to create and operate a registry business supporting the Internet’s domain name system. This involves a number of significant responsibilities, as the operator of a new gTLD is running a piece of visible Internet infrastructure.

and

ICANN does not accept reservations or pre-registrations based on trademarks. But registries will be required to operate sunrise or intellectual property claims services for the protection of trademarks. See section 5.4.1 of the Applicant Guidebook for details.

and

Applicants will need to demonstrate the operational, technical and financial capability to run a registry and comply with additional specific requirements

The initial $185,000 is just tablestakes. Ongoing costs will probably be at least that much annually.

(Anoop Prasad) #6

@obycode, why wouldn’t you take this to a crowd funding site like https://www.kickstarter.com/ .
You must be aware that there are other such avenues where you can see how many are ready to bet on your idea.

PS:

I just mentioned kick starter as an example. you can check here for a list.

If you need help to refine your idea, you can always throw some open questions; just a thought. All the best.