Thermostat SmartApps that uses Virtual Switches to control Mode/Fan/SetPoints

I currently use multiple copies of the Individual change Thermostat app to change Setpoints only on a schedule. I have looked at Thermostat Mode Director and that may do what you want. It also uses a schedule, but it includes thermostat modes.

I was wondering what kind of issues was the Auto mode creating?

1 Like

@DarcRanger
Thanks!
Specifically which app or where is it…the one you referred to as, “Individual change Thermostat app”?

As for auto mode causing problems for the Centralite HA Thermostat, I have no idea. That’s all they told me.

@sgnihttrams

I posted a link six post up.

1 Like

Thanks!
So, is Rboy’s ‘Ultimate customizable thermostat’ the culmination of further fixes of the same one you linked to, or is it completely different?

Sorry, man…I’m trying to learn the ropes around here in so many ways. :slight_smile:

@sgnihttrams,

The customizable thermostat is a device type, that could replace the current one your thermostat is using. I actually use that one for my CT100 Thermostat.

@DarcRanger

Oh my…that’s a device type? I don’t know why, but I thought it was a SmartApp.
Geez…I guess I better read again…how can I be so far off on something like that?

I just went there again, and I’m sorry, but I’m pretty sure this thing is a SmartApp, not a device type…

Am I off?
On his website, it even shows up in the ‘SmartApps’ section…not in the devices section.

p.s. Note that regardless of what I eventually get going for my device type and my normal, everyday SmartApp, I am still definitely going to come back here and get this one from you, because I really want the functionality that you got going for the purpose of using it in SmartTiles.

This is perfect.

I found it impossible to change these modes using the device handles alone. Was complete garbage, modes kept cycling randomly. This works great.

AND extends the ability to modify these things - heat/cool/auto fan-auto/on via other cool engines, apps that don’t have handlers setup to touch these features of the thermos.

@sgnihttrams,

I re-looked at the link above. It seems there are two names referring the same app. The posting is under Ultimate Customizable Thermostat but the actual app is called Individual Change Thermostat. So for the confusion.

1 Like

Wow…I’m really sorry, but what I see when I go to where you linked is a SmartApp, not a Device Type.

I’m confused…

@sgnihttrams,

I did link to the smart app and it looks like we are pointing to the same app by the same person, but posted in two different locations. The title of the post you linked made me think of the device app, but the first code I see on that post is for the Individual Change Thermostat smart app.

1 Like

OK…so no Device Type suggestion then?

Since you have been to RBoy’s website, he does have a device type for the thermostat, which I have been using.

1 Like

OK. I see it, but it’s for a Z-Wave device and mine is Zigbee.

I see, that I cannot help you with, though I am sure there must be a default device type available.

1 Like

Yes…I installed that at the very beginning, but the problem is that it somehow stopped communicating (i.e. the SmartThings app would no longer reflect changes at the actual, physical thermostat).

Man, I’m sorry that I am so new at this and I can’t properly get across what I’m trying to say…

Now…I just uninstalled the device completely and removed the device type from my IDE, and am starting over again with the officially available device type (i.e. Centralite Thermostat).

I added the officially available Centralite Thermostat device type to My Device Types.
I reran the pairing process.
It paired as ‘Thing’.
I changed its name.
I went into the IDE and changed the device type to use the officially available Centralite Thermostat device type.

Now, it appears I have the same problem (unless I’m just misunderstanding how it is supposed to work)…
The display of temp/modes/etc in the SmartThings app does not seem to be reflecting what’s actually happening on the thermostat…

Example: I changed the heat setpoint on the physical device, but the heat setpoint in the SmartThings app didn’t change.

Example: I changed the mode on the physical thermostat from OFF to HEAT, but that is not reflected in the SmartThings app.

If I change a setting in the SmartThings app, it does seem to change it on the physical thermostat, but changes at the physical thermostat aren’t being reflected in the SmartThings app.

Example: If the temp in the room either drops or rises, the display on the physical thermostat changes to reflect that change, but then that change is not reflected in the SmartThings app.

The only time the SmartThings app ever correctly reflects what is actually being displayed on the physical thermostat is immediately after pressing the ‘Refresh’ button within the device in the SmartThings app (well, and now it seems that doesn’t even do it…I have to actually fully close the SmartThings app and come back into it to actually get the current details on the physical thermostat to be reflected within the SmartThings app).

So, if changes at the physical thermostat are not sent to SmartThings, how would a thermostat SmartApp ever know about the change and be able to do anything about it?

@sgnihttrams,
At this point I would recommend contacting SmartThings Support since this seems to be a device issue. You can initiate a support request through the phone app. Changing setting through the phone app for the device and changing the actual thermostat should sync, even with a short delay. My virtual switch apps can be set up to sync changes between the device in the phone app and the thermostat.

1 Like

@DarcRanger
OK, I will get a support ticket going after this last question…

Will your app ‘force’ it to sync, or will it only be able to sync if syncing is already working?
If it will force it to sync, how often can it do that?

I think syncing should be working first, but you can still try to test it. I would still contact support for help. As for my apps, only when pressing the virtual buttons to change mode or the fan or moving the virtual slider for the temperature setting will change thermostat and the device in the phone app. Also changing either the device in the phone app or actually thermostat should be reflected in the virtual switches, although there is an option to turn that sync feature off. I needed to add that option when a user would get double feedback on changes by virtual switches or the phone app.

1 Like

I just noticed something in the code for this device type…

// Leaving out for now as its killing the batteries.
//def poll() {
// log.debug “Executing ‘poll’”
// refresh()
//}

Is there any chance that is related to my non-syncing issue?

This is outside of my knowledge base, but know that polling periodically check the thermostat’s current data set using the refresh command, Another option would be to search the forums for someone with a similar issue or create a new post to see if people found solutions for similar issues…

1 Like