The Next Generation of SmartThings is Here

Rubbish :smile:

Honestly, if it weren’t for the fact that we’re under NDA the majority of those ‘big name brand’ companies restricting us from telling people who host them I could tell you one particular company and many of you would INSTANTLY know about the outages they get, all due to lack of preparation.

Could ST have prepared better for today specifically? Yes of course.
Is it a bad omen/sign of things to come/the norm? Definitely not.

With the type of coverage that ST just got, I actually expected them to down WAY harder than this like, the main website, the forum, the app, everything…

3 Likes

Definitely agree that if I was standing at my door trying to get in the house for 5 minutes (and I was determined to not take my keys out :wink: ) it would be annoying, but in this instance if you’re using ST approved apps that run locally this wouldn’t be an issue.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’d be great… if local processing is actually enabled for the presence sensor… and the lights… and the smartapp… and none of them use any custom code. And it’s Tuesday, the moon is full, and the CA drought has ended.

1 Like

Yeah I agree. Things happen. Live and Learn.

1 Like

Exactly. The benefits of an open Platform are … less beneficial … if a major function (i.e., local processing) is essentially unavailable to Developers.

Yes… there are subtle semantics involved, but I’m with you on this one, @garyd9. Bad surprise.

2 Likes

Don’t tempt fate!!!

Nice to see you be both pessimistic and optimistic in the same sentence though! Cool! :sunglasses:

1 Like

My intended plan B for an Internet service outage relied on a smartenIT 3
toggle switch, because both my dog and I can work it. However, it’s a custom device type. So I’m pretty much out of luck in an outage if custom device types can’t run locally.

1 Like

Excellent example.

More subtle example is the simple and reasonable desire and expectation I have that I can customize and improve various Device Types (and SmartApps…) even if just for my own preferences and benefit. The Aeon Minimote Button Controller, for example, can be tweaked in many ways, partly to consolidate its code with other types of controllers, and other reasonable ideas. But now that will introduce a non-trivial cost (i.e., loss of local processing, apparently).

Guess I ought to wait for more detail.

1 Like

Keep in mind that ALL elements in regards to a smartapp must be running locally, or NONE of them will. In the case of the button controller, that means the app, the minimote, and all the controlled devices. What do you think the odds are of that happening?

How is it that I haven’t earned the “thread destroyer” badge for this thread yet? :weary:

The odds are better if I can customize the Button Controller Device Type and SmartApp(s) as necessary to maximize the ability for it to run locally for as many scenarios that I would like to have in my personal environment.

1 Like

no, because as soon as you load a copy of the smartapp into the editor and use that one, the whole scenario is disqualified from running locally.

2 Likes

Where the heck is this alleged app update? Since 6:00am this morning I’ve progresed from amused to slightly annoyed, and really quite frustrated.

Major announcement of upgrades, but -

Strike 1 - I did as suggested by ST and ordered on Amazon.com. So I wait an extra week. Which means ZERO benefit to pre-ordering.

Strike 2 - Announced application is actually not released yet.

Strike 3 - ST suffers a major outage. I’d say because of the flood of new apps connecting up, but well - that can’t be it because it isn’t available yet.

Strike 4 - I’m now starting to understand that local processing may not be real for my v2 hubs. But at least I have an extra week to stew on that.

This is a fairly poorly executed major upgrade / launch folks. :frowning:

Lots of conversations going on here, but I wanted to comment on the Minimote + Button Controller.

First of all, Button Controller is going away. It’s being replaced by the “Smart _____” SmartApps, like “Smart Lighting”, “Smart Locks”, “Smart Sleep”, etc. These will be available in the “SmartThings Recommends” category in the app, and they will run locally on Hub V2 by default. Many of our standard device types will run locally as well. The list should be coming soon.

When you install a SmartApp all devices will need to be eligible to run locally for the SmartApp to execute locally. In my case, I have a Minimote and a GE ZigBee pluggable module. If I unplug power and Ethernet on my Hub V2 I can still use the Minimote as both devices and the Smart Lighting SmartApp are executing locally.

3 Likes

Local processing will be offered on Hub V2 :slight_smile: Tyler’s comment below v

1 Like

But I would be out of luck because I don’t use a Minimote most of the time, I use the smartenIT 3 toggle zigbee device. Which is a community developed device type. So it’s not going to run locally right?

And the people who use the securifi four button key fob to disarm their Alarm mode won’t have it run locally either, right? If there’s a platform problem like today, they can’t disarm the siren?

1 Like

The overwhelming part of my HA (equipment, lighting) is executed from HAM Bridge, based on a HTTP GET from SmartThings (sendHubCommand). I’m reasonably certain that means no local operation for me.

1 Like

Correct! As soon as we enable the functionality for you to self-publish locally installed apps that will allow you to do what you’re talking about.

2 Likes

Thanks! That is helpful. Is there a list of devices that will be eligible for local processing? It seems to be tied to the device?

The device handler as well as the device.

For example, many people have a doorlock which is on the official “works with smartthings” compatibility list, but they are using a community-developed device handler which offers more features than the official device handler. This is particularly true for people with vacation homes, rental property, or homecare workers, where they want to be able to set different schedules for the individual code users. The official device handler is pretty limited in this regard but there are some excellent ones in the community.

2 Likes