The Next Generation of SmartThings is Here

:smiley: That is what makes ST so great, because the passion of its users. It is very brutal compared to other communities I’ve been part of, BUT it only takes one time for an Z-wave alarm to go off at 3 am and wake up sleeping kiddos, OR the lights to turn off in the bathroom when your wife is in the shower and yelling at you to have the passion.

I don’t have any other hardware/software combinations that affect me that personally, perhaps Cable TV or Electric Company and their customer reviews are pretty brutal as well.

:smiley:

1 Like

oops. I should have put an emoticon or something near there… Damn… I’ll fix that in a minute…

Actually, I have 3 open tickets right now. One is an issue I’ve been working interactively with someone on for a few weeks (and is more of an annoyance for me but isn’t being reproduced by ST), one is a cosmetic error that I reported more as a “FYI” than a problem that has any actual impact to me.

The third is a bug that probably only impacts a small group of people at the present time, but will likely impact a much larger group in the next few weeks (but can only be reproduced twice a day given my steps.) However, being that I’ve been reporting it for a couple of weeks, and never had any non-automated response in regards to it, I’m not sure what’s going on with it.

(I have another outstanding issue pending, but via other ST channels.)

The world is changing. And simplicity is taking over flexibilty. Yes, there is a lot of work to be done and many loyal hobbyists will come out strong to get back what once we all wished for. I just said good bye to some of my favorite apps and integrations (I don’t have the time or excitement I once had to recreate the kind of automation I so badly wanted to implement in my home). I applaud ST for what they are trying to accomplish and I wish them good luck in their endeavour. In the end, if they succeed, I will have a system that is more reliable and less intricate, if they don’t…well other players in the market will get a bump in their market share. I know emotions run high, but let’s give them some time. They have a lot of work ahead!

1 Like

Fair enough, that makes sense. I’m new here, so not trying to step on any toes just was what popped into my mind when I read some of the comments.

Agreed. A developer can’t fix something they don’t know is broken.

Sometimes a frank comment in the forums bypasses official channels which may otherwise be clogged.

In my opinion, the SmartThings community is extremely civil. And when not, the frustration is understandable.

3 Likes

Hey @Tyler – I see that you say button controller is going away soon. As such, I was moving things over to Smart Lights and noticed that there is no option to access the “hold” functions on the aeon minimote with smartlights-- we just get the options of buttons 1-4. This could pose a problem for those of us who use both the short press and long press functions of the minimote…

Otherwise enjoying most of the changes to the app!

4 Likes

Interesting! Thanks for pointing that out.

Set the “Button action” to “held” instead of “pushed”

4 Likes

@ogiewon Well-- I totally missed that! Thanks!
@Tyler – guess that’s the answer then :smile:

2 Likes

Awesome! That was an easy one to solve!

Button Controller allows executing “Hello, Home” actions (now “Routines”) using Minimote or another compatible remote. I don’t see an option in the Routines to execute when pressing a button. What’s the solution for that now that Button Controller is going away?

5 Likes

We can only hope it involves something that supports the Enerwave ZWN-SC7…

2 Likes

So, in reality, Rooms is just a different rendering of Groups. Devices still have only one Group.
The net result of this change is to force a paradigm on us for that one dimension we could use freely before, but to let us have Things back by themselves where before it was Things or Groups.
Hopefully, we can get Tagging (multiple, open-definition dimensions) on the roadmap?
Rooms are nice. I also want to see my Temperatures, my Doors, the Upstairs, Kids Area, etc.
This was an incremental product change, an improvement for two areas for some, one for others and a loss in one way for some. ok. But, is Tagging or multiple dimensions for Things on the roadmap?

3 Likes

LMAO. Sorry, but I had to laugh at this. At 6’4" I have no problem with the motion detected bathroom lights not seeing me over the shower curtain and shutting off while I’m in the shower. The 5’4" wife on the other hand is getting tired of having to wave her hands in the air every 5 minutes to turn the lights back on. I have had a few instances of sitting on the throne " thinking " for too long and have them shut off on me though.

3 Likes

I’m not too inpatient . When I pre-ordered my V2, I am pretty sure it said delivery in Mid-September. I checked A-Z and they did not even have an expected delivery date at the time. So I opted to order directly from ST since at least it had an anticipated shipping window.

I just checked my order status this morning and under shipping is says back-ordered. So I guess I was not one of the lucky first batch to be shipped over the last 2 days. I’m OK with that because I wasn’t expecting it to ship for another couple weeks anyways.
I was nervous when I saw that they had started shipping on 3rd, because I had not even ordered my Harmony home hub and remote , and I figured I would just set them both up at the same time. So I ran to Fleabay and ordered the remote as fast as I could.

Now I can start getting jumpy with anticipation waiting to just tell Alexa I want to watch a movie and her her do everything but put the blu-ray in the player and hand us our 3D glasses.

If you will go read my posts, You will see that I thanked you for correcting my mistake about the app and asked a question about the email? Which was received on my iphone. As I stated in my post. Nothing snarky there.

Your suggestion that I scan for virus/malware was meaningless to me, as I am not aware of how that’s accomplished on a non jail broken iphone 6.

I really am not interested in your opinion. I would like a calm response to my concerns from an adult who is in a responsible position at SmartThings.

Will the video recording work with Dropcam integration?

I don’t think so as of now as it was mentioned in one of the threads somewhere yesterday! :frowning: I am a sad owner of couple of dropcams and nest cameras.

Only @geko has this capability!

do I understand it correctly the minimotes won’t work with the V2 hub or just that they won’t work with some smart apps