The Honeymoon is over

With due respect! If you are having distance related drop-offs, why not use some repeaters? I can understand that 15 feet is always not practical but repeaters do help. Between 90-100 devices here and zero drop-offs. Things will be ok with time. I am sure they are doing their best. I can well understand the frustration. Till few months back I was the whiner-in-chief about the hue integration and it has come long way since then… Give them some time and benefit of doubt.

2 Likes

I have hard wired devices which are supposed to be the same as dedicated repeaters. I have a hard wired device/repeater every 15 feet. At least one. And how much time should I give them? They’re on version two and there are still LOADS of complaints. I understand hiccups but it’s not like a 1, 2, fix. It’s painful fixing some of these things, they still don’t officially support foscam (probably the most popular DIY-er camera around) and they’re backup by one of the largest electronics giants on earth, Samsung.

and drop offs aren’t my main problem it’s the device being seen but not working properly. It’s not a distance problem for me unfortunately. A switch that’s been installed for over a year just disappeared from the system and I had a lot of trouble getting it back on. I eventually did but no thanks to tech support that stop lord helping me after the first “here’s the standard fix” email AFTER I told them I followed the standard fix on their website which they acknowledged.

Which specific brands and models?

Linear switches (wd500z), GE dimmers and on//off switches, and linear garage door openers. Those are the ones functioning as repeaters (meaning not on the edge of the network).

Point in case, none of my outdoor switches have come on yet and it’s past time. Both switch are about 19.5 feet away from the hub (just pulled out the tape measure) with almost a perfectly unobstructed line of sight. The hub doesn’t even report sending the command, forget about distance issues. This is unacceptable.

I don’t know, I’ve had none of the problems you have, and I have a spread out network with a mismatch of almost every device, and I have about 90 devices and don’t have the same issues at all.

It isn’t a great security system, but it works well.

Those are all repeaters, it definitely sounds like something’s wrong. I feel your pain, I just wish I had an answer for you.

Who are you talking to? Nobody has offered to replace my hub…

I appreciate it and unknown I’m not alone with my problems. I wish the company would acknowledge the system isn’t as perfect as they wish it were. I’m not complaining because it’s fun and this thread wasn’t created by happy users… The amazon and apple App Store reviews speak for themselves, App Store approval is below. 50%. You can’t use the system realistically without the app (I’m not using a user made workaround though it’s nice they exist) And you’d fail out of school for such a low grade.

I’m sure not everyone experiences these problems and good for you if you don’t, really, but it’s been nothing but trouble throughout. I have about 16 devices and none work reliably.

Hue has one and a quarter stars on Apple’s App Store, and it works flawlessly. I don’t think that’s the best measure of a product.

2 Likes

For you…

If they worked perfectly for everyone and people liked the app which is also very important, it wouldn’t have such an abismal rating.

Amazon reviews in the system average to about a a 3/5 and a lot of people have voiced their dissatisfaction all over the Internet including this forum. So sure, if you ignore all the negativity surrounding the product it really is a perfect product. But I live in reality.

But the big thing about Hue is:

1. The physical devices work very well with all kinds of aggression. So I would look at the Amazon ratings rather than The physical devices work very well with all kinds of aggression. So I would look at the Amazon ratings rather than after eating the app ratings

2. there are at least four very highly rated third-party apps to control hues available in the App Store. So it’s more a case of the app that comes with the device isn’t great, but there are great apps available, and the devices are great.

“What’s your favorite hue app?” Is a pretty common article these days.

So that’s a deficiency that it’s easy for the customer to recognize and overcome.

Sure that’s fair. The original app is bad and there are viable aftermarket replacements. BUT SmartThings does not have a single wel known aftermarket replacement app let alone multiple viable replacements and the amazon reviews complain about more than the app being bad. Which reflects upon the system as a whole.

I’d love for SmartThings to reach out and send me a replacement (somebody erroneously said they did already, I have no idea why) so I could find out if it was just my hub or not but I’m not about to spend another hundred dollars to experiment.

1 Like

Keep your eyes on SmartTiles.click (it’s actually the Number 1 community built SmartApp… by @625alex).

Spread the word and it can become “well known”. Thanks!!

2 Likes

There are some very good aftermarket replacement apps for the SmartThings mobile app. The problem is they can’t fix the backend problems like the scheduler. So there’s only so much they can do. They fill a gap but they don’t improve reliability. So this doesn’t solve your issues, but they do exist as far as the App Store rating issue goes.

1 Like

Then Home Automation isn’t for you, on any platform because none of them are there yet.

2 Likes

37 posts were split to a new topic: Virtual 3 way, no neutral, no traveler

Lol!, after reading reviews on different home automation devices, believing Smartthings is compatible with over 200 devices, and having a $2,700 Samsung Smart TV, I bought the Samsung Hub. Negative!!OUCH!, won’t work with my TV. Time to sharpen my critical thinking skills!! Had I typed what I’ve learned into a Google search engine(SmartThings Sucks), I’d be eating steaks instead of tuna sandwiches!doh! This was to be the focal part of a high-end, security, & home automation system. The iOS app just scans away, looking stupid, and impotent, as drug cartels (jking) walk off with $10,000 of my equipment, loads it inside my $30,000 suv, giving me the bird high and mighty. Shoulda bought lottery scratch cards instead!

I have returned my Smarthings before 30 days to Amazon. It is a great device too bad reliability is a big issue.