The End of Groovy Has Arrived

Stock DTH worked perfectly in garage mode on these 1st-gen MP sensors up until about 3 days ago before it was migrated. Oh well…

Does anyone happen to know if devices reported as “offline” by the app should get auto-migrated? I have several Leviton Z-wave dimmers/switches that typically show offline in the app, but do work correctly otherwise (I’ve always chalked this up to some issue with the health monitoring, its been ongoing for years but no real problems otherwise).

I’ve been waiting for these to auto-migrate to avoid redoing my routines that use them, but it occurred to me that perhaps the offline state might interfere with migration so I might as well bite the bullet and manually migrate. (I haven’t confirmed fingerprinted edge drivers exist for them, but fairly sure they will be covered.)

They should.

Don’t know about the offline aspect, but I manually migrated 16 Leviton z-wave (DZ15S) a couple of months ago without any issue. It uses the stock SmartThings Edge driver.

Your Levitons probably need a firmware update. If they are at lower than 1.20, then contact Leviton support for the update and instructions.

I’ve had a couple of ZigBee devices auto-migrate despite being offline.

I just got through reading all 1,767 comments on this thread and my mind is gone.

I highly suggest we put specific topic in their own threads and get away from this thread for specific things, like Keen. I will probably be adding a few more topics in other areas for things I need help with rather than contribute to this huge thread. That way, hopefully, I do not add to the fluff in this one.

Interesting discussion, though.

6 Likes

I emailed their support and was told there are no updates for my models (VRF01-02A, VRI06-1L, VRS-15-1L, VRMX1-1L), and they implied I might want to move to the DZ series instead. Given these were not inexpensive switches I’m reluctant to give up on them since they are working (just reported as offline). Guess I’ll wait to see what the migration does to them.

If you have info on the FW upgradability of any of these models I’d appreciate that. I gather from my cursory Google research that one might need special Zwave widgets from Leviton to do that?

I don’t even know how to find out their current FW level via the ST infrastructure. I do have the Leviton VPG controller but haven’t touch that in years.

My Levitons are all from the DZ series, around 3 to 4 years old. Got no experience with the older ones. The firmware level is visible in the data in the IDE for as long as we’ve all got access to that. http://ide.smartthings.com After you login, click on the menu, then Locations and select your location. After that you can access your devices.

I’ve done firmware updates on Levitons to cure an issue with them dropping offline for no reason, and on Zooz devices to fix some issues.

It requires a Z-Wave Controller USB stick but, at least for the ones I’ve done, nothing brand-specific.It’s not a trivial process and usually but not always requires that you remove the device to be upgraded from SmartThings, add to a separate Z-wave mesh controlled by the USB controller, do the update, remove device from the USB controller’s mesh, and finally add it back to SmartThings. That, of course, means redoing any automations the device was part of.

1 Like

I don’t know about the levitons, but I was able to add a USB Zwave stick as a secondary controller and update without removing anything from smartthings. I used the Homeseer Smartstick+ stick and ZFlash software. The instructions are on their site.

1 Like

Is the device’s FW level reported somewhere in the raw description info, perhaps the “ver” number? Not seeing any more obvious reporting in my device’s IDE. Example from one of my switches below.

zw:L type:1003 mfr:001D prod:0301 model:0209 ver:0.04 zwv:2.09 lib:03 cc:25,27,2B,2C,85,72,86,91,77,73 ccOut:82

That works with some devices and some situations. It’s a huge timesaver if it works.

• When I was updating my Levitons, they would not stay online to the hub for more than a few minutes.
  • When I was updating my Zooz ZEN27 and ZEN26, the devices required a reset after new firmware was installed so were not recognized as the same device by the ST hub.

Because of the hassle involved in updating, most of my Zooz devices are running old firmware.

Yes. That’s it.

I removed and re-paired four Ikea colour-temperature GU10 bulbs today.
I was able to pair them in their celing fittings; all four at the same time; in about a minute.
Now I have one (local) groovy device that I only ever expect to be a Z-Wave Thing.
I hope everybody elses transition is going as well.

1 Like

My transition was almost perfect, I installed Aeotec edge drivers and Smartthings did the rest. Only issue I had is a routine using an Aeotec multisensor 6 which turns on some lamps in the living room when it detects low light, something decided to change the active time period from 09:30-22:00 to 09:30 to 03:32 which was freaking me out somewhat until I checked the routine.

1 Like

I have an aeotec 6 as well, last few days its been inconsistant at best, sometimes it is razor sharp at detecting movement other times it just refuses to detect anything…

See the following links:

ThirdReality Blind Thread

Peanut Plug Edge Driver (Available on CStup Edge Drivers)

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve since looked again.
I don’t see any mention of candeo at all in there.
Is there a way to see if it’s on a plan to be included, or will this just stop working when migration finishes?

If a device doesn’t have an exact fingerprint match, then, under the new architecture, the system will attempt to make a match based on the device’s generic capabilities. (For example, under the old architecture, some candeo models paired using the stock Zigbee generic dimmer DTH – – they would likely pair to the stock Zigbee generic dimmer edge driver.)

And if the system can’t figure out the generic capabilities, it would just add it As a “thing“ based on its protocol which will allow you to switch it to another driver later if you find one.

So no hub-connected device gets left out all together.

this is detailed in the official transition FAQ:

1 Like

I have 2 IKEA TRADFRI Button remotes. One I manually updated to the Edge driver, the other I left with the DTH.

The one with the DTH just changed to Placeholder but the rest of the old “Show Device” table is still there. Zigbee Id, Device Network Id, Route, Metrics, Data etc are all still there. This is different to the one I manually added to get the Edge driver which does not show any of these old DTH settings.

The IDE is part of the old architecture. Once you change a device to an edge driver (part of the new architecture) and it says “placeholder,” the rest of the information about it in the IDE can be old or inaccurate. Just ignore it. The IDE itself will be going away once the transition to the new architecture is complete.

For where to get the information you used to get from the IDE, see:

Life after the IDE: Questions and Answers