The End of Groovy Has Arrived

The virtual switch and dimmer are stock DTHs and a virtual-switch Edge driver has been created. So I would presume they will be treated the same as other stock devices and migrated.

UPDATE: That comment foolishly overlooked the possibility that a) you don’t want your virtual devices to run locally, and b) that you don’t have a hub.

When it comes to the ‘Simulated …’ devices in the ‘testing’ folder that many users exploited as production devices I guess there might be another outcome. I don’t know though.

1 Like

Hubitat supports Halo smoke detectors

4 Likes

Yup, very aware of that and I’ve reviewed their code a while ago. I have no desire to move to Hubitat at this time.

7 Likes

What will happen when ST tries to convert SmartLighting but a user is already at the max 200 Routines?

What will happen when ST tries to convert SmartLighting that does mirroring? Routines doesn’t handle mirroring.

What will happen when ST tries to convert SmartLighting that contains a mix of sunset/sunrise and a fixed time? Routines doesn’t handle that. Create multiple Routines maybe? Again, what if that breaks a user’s max?

7 Likes

Is SmartLighting turning into Routines, or is it still going to be on its own? Good questions though. Don’t forget, if anyone has a button controller each button is a routine, and I have lots of Aeon minimotes, ST buttons, and a few others:

2 Likes

But no Halos ;(

1 Like

Yea one 5 button ikea button becomes 14 routines. Press, double press and hold for each of the buttond. (Center button does not allow hold I think, so only 14 not 15 routines)

Can you see people reaching 200 max very quickly.

4 Likes

Yeah, and very disappointing!

I’m actually down to 1 DTH and 1 Smartapp that are Groovy, both are RBoy’s. I was very fortunate to find a developer in the ST community that helped convert my FortrezZ water meter to Edge. I have some clean up work to do, but I’ll post that driver soon, but I have it working right now.

Still po’d about the Halo decision.

I was told it will be its own endpoint app that uses Rules API.

4 Likes

I hope it includes mirroring

3 Likes

Well, maybe I misunderstood something but wasn’t there notice at some point that SmartLighting would go away so we needed to move to Routines or something else? I will admit the latest notice is not that clear with regards to SmartLighting. I spent the good part of two days converting what I could from SL to Routines. Frustrated.

FFS. Seriously. So I used up my Routines ‘allowance’ for nothing?!

I’m waiting cause if SL is it’s own endpoint app as @Automated_House stated above, I’ll be able to move over many of my routines.

So does that mean we’ll be able to continue creating new SmartLighting routines? That doesn’t make sense.

does moving from webcore to sharptools.io will work after the migration ?
some of my automation are just way too complicate for those routine in the app

I see that I can wait for a magic migration to come, but is there a way to see in the IDE is some device will be in trouble? I have a lot of custom device handler, how they will manage it ?

Edge Drivers are “structured” very differently than Groovy DTHs. What used to be several DTH are now one Edge Driver. In the case of the zigbee swtich edge driver, in encompasses simple on/off switch devices, dimmers, energy reporting zigbee swtiches, multi swtiches, RGBW bulbs, color temperature adjustable bulbs, and more. To get the full picture, you need to look at the profiles and fingerprints for each driver.

One additional point on fingerprints: many devices used to pair with Groovy DTH based on the basic clusters the device reported, not the fingerprint. The same will happen with Edge Drivers, but those basic clusters are currently commented out for all drivers in production. Here’s an example for z-wave garage opener:

I would expect when the SmartLighting migration occurs, the Groovy version will be removed and there will be a new endpoint smartapp version…somewhere in the. Maybe still listed under smartapps on the automations tab? Remember, smartapps still exist in the new dev environment. They just aren’t Groovy or hosted by SmartThings.

1 Like

They exist, but their scope is limited in such a way that it makes me think they don’t really want you to use them

Where are they commented out? That looks like valid yaml, no? Yaml comments are prefixed by #.

How do I know if a device is supported by a stock driver or if I need to download a custom edge driver? The list linked in the initial post is extremely unclear.

Is there some sort of scanner tool?

Can I download custom edge drivers if I am not part of the beta program in advance of the 9/30 shutdown?

2 Likes