The End of Groovy Has Arrived

I have 45 of 73 devices that are migrated, most of which I did myself. Some of these are virtual devices. Like another community member the devices migrated are ST Motion and Leak sensors. I also had a few smart plugs migrate and a First Alert Smoke & CO Alarm. What has not migrated are ST Plugs my ST Multipurpose sensors using the SmartSense DTH, EnerWave relay and child devices, a Ultraloq Zwave Deadbolt, several Sylvania Smart Plugs, Sengled Smart Plugs, Bhyve B-Byve Sprinkler controller and a GoControl Dry Contact switch that I am using as a momentary switch to activate my garage door opener. I am enrolled in the ST Beta Channel and I have accepted several other channel invites as well to enroll many of my 45 devices.

2 Likes

AFAICT theyā€™re on new Edge drivers.

1 Like

I got the full message on a New hub with 15 items and a hand full of edge drivers. I am now thinking that message is just random.

I am running HA in Oracle Virtual Box on a PC that is on 24/7. I will be getting Nabu Casa (NC) to handle the outside access needed for SmartThings since ST wonā€™t communicate inside my network :confused: . I could roll my own but itā€™s not much and NC supports the project. Maybe I will jump through the hoops to do the Nabu Casa stuff at some point. I am keeping ST for now because I do like some simple stuff but using it for complex tasks (websites/IFā€¦Then) is not what Samsung cares about now.

Yeah Iā€™m gonna give St another go for a while maybe even look at giving my own drivers a go.

I think Nabu is expensive tbf but itā€™s a simple solution that also resolves the Google voice integration out. HA is more of a project. Iā€™ll be very interested in what smartapps can be made in the new system.

I also have a Konnected system which gave me the added completion of tunneling that communication inside the network whilst being able to secure the outside.

Hubitat is the unknown for me but Ā£140 for that isnā€™t on the cards right now!

1 Like

Hi, @Marcin_K! This is normal as it is a work in progress, have you verified your devices are using a stock DTH?
On this page, thereā€™s info about what happens for devices depending on their current handler:

@abcd, please, also check the link above. As I understand, ā€œthird-party equipmentā€ means devices that arenā€™t certified as Works With SmartThings, right?
You can find a replacement, there are some Community members that have created drivers for Zigbee, Z-Wave devices and help people to add their deviceā€™s fingerprints. You can find some in this category:
https://community.smartthings.com/tag/edge-device

And, you can also download the ones from SmartThings and modify them to support your devices. For this, you can take a look at the Developerā€™s documentation: Get Started with SmartThings Edge | Developer Documentation | SmartThings

When this happens, you can reach out to us so we can collect information about this issue and see what caused it and help you solve it. When you delete the device, we cannot get its ID of when it was migrated to look at the logs.
Also, if you already deleted a device from the app but cannot add it again, you can check the ST API and delete it from there.
The ST CLI is a tool to help you interact with it but you can also make direct REST requests to it. There are some mobile apps that can help you or PC software like Postman.

@nayelyz do you have any information on when custom DTHs will be migrated to edge drivers. I believe those are my only devices that have not been migrated yet. Thanks!

Hi, @Terri_Baker!
I think this is the date set for option 4 mentioned on the Platform transition page (Replacement with custom Lua Edge Driver from ST Community) but let me double-check.

2 Likes

@nayelyz
Just read through the FAQ you linked to above.

I noticed that there was a note that the smartsense multi-sensor will no longer work for a garage door.

Is that for all smart sense multi or just 1 specific model?

1 Like

I just asked the team to get more info about this, @professordave. Thank you for reaching out

@professordave, the team mentioned this only notes that you no longer have to assign a specific DTH (or Driver in this case) to use that device as a Garage door sensor; instead, the driver that handles these devices has a preference (setting) that helps you enable/disable this ā€œmodeā€ for them.

1 Like

@nayelyz

Thanks for the quick reply!

2 Likes

I havenā€™t seen any information on the future for cloud to cloud integrations like Ring cameras, Life 360, Rinnai water heaters, etc. What is going to happen with those? Also, wi-fi integrations like Ecobee havenā€™t been mentioned AFAIK.

Thanks!

Itā€™s up to each manufacturer, but many of those are already using the new architecture and there wonā€™t be any change in any way. They donā€™t use edge drivers anyway.

A few existing cloud to cloud integrations will need to be rewritten, and again, then itā€™s up to the manufacturer. For example, Ifttt is working on a new smartthings integration to use the new architecture. OTOH, It doesnā€™t sound like Life360 is going to create a new integration. :disappointed_relieved:

If a WiFi device ends up supporting matter, itā€™s quite likely that it will switch over to using an edge driver and we will get local integration with it. For example, devices like Meross WiFi smart plugs and Ecobee that already work locally with homekit are quite likely to end up working locally with Matter. But we will just have to wait and see what actually gets delivered.

Ringā€™s integration uses the new architecture.

One way to check is go to the obsolete IDE and if the devices imported from that integration are listed as ā€œplaceholderā€ they are using the new integration and are good to go.

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™m hoping that my Ecobee Thermostat will be upgraded to support Matter. The current stock Ecobee support is not full featured enough and the Ecobee Suite author is not going to migrate to the new platform as he moved on to Hubitat. My fear is that only the newest thermostats will get an upgrade, but Iā€™m keeping my hopes up since mine is only one generation behind the current.

It will be a bummer if Life360 goes away since the stock presence is not particularly accurate and doesnā€™t offer nearly as tight a geofence.

2 Likes

My ring cameras all say Placeholder, but my doorbell says ā€œRing Doorbell Proā€. Ideas?

Try to integrate it using the current integration (go to, add device > brand > ring). I see video doorbell pro listed twice.

If that doesnā€™t work check with Ring customer service.

Just trying to add a new Ring device didnā€™t change anything. Ended up deleting it and then adding a new device which re-learned it from my already associated Ring account. Now shows as a placeholder in IDE.

1 Like