The End of Groovy Has Arrived

My main concern is how rboy/yves will respond as their integrations are paid.

7 Likes

I still have color temperature bulbs on the old platform. And I have a Philips led strip on the official Zigbee driver on the old platform.

Will these be converted to Zigbee Edge driver automatically or do I have to do it manually?

I have a few devices currently running on the SmartThings Edge Beta drivers. It was previously advised that to get the device on the SmartThings Edge Main production driver, that I would have to delete and re-onboard the device to change it from the SmartThings Edge Beta driver to the SmartThings Edge Main production driver.

Is this still the case?

Or (hopefully) will any Edge devices currently using the SmartThings Edge Beta drivers be migrated to the SmartThings Edge Main production drivers during this migration effort?

Or, can I simply change the devices Edge driver from the SmartThings Edge Beta driver to the SmartThings Edge Main production driver in the SmartThings app?

2 Likes

When and how will smartthings be communicating to the average user who does not follow the blogs or visit this site of the up coming changes? And is the help desk/support teams going to be staffed up for all the "it is not working calls/emails?

9 Likes

Hi @andresg

I have a doubt.

Iā€™m not a programmer. Will the devices that are connected to the Hub and that are working without Device Handler automatically switch over?

I have, for example, Blinds Controllers (Philio Pan08) that are currently like Z-Wave Window Shade working in the cloud!

At the moment I can edit the device type in groovy.

In the future if I need to remove the device, will I have problems adding it again?

Or is the problem only those who use Device Handler?

Thanks

1 Like

@alissa.dornbos , can you help answer my question above?

2 Likes

The device handler seems to have used an old style fingerprint so unless Iā€™ve missed another handler it isnā€™t clear where the model numbers came from. Have you asked Keen?

hi i have no idea if it is posible but could we not use something like a raspberry pi to run a local groovy thingy ?
@nayelyz
@TAustin
@Mariano_Colmenarejo

No, itā€™s not that simple. The architecture would be completely different (would need to rewrite any groovy apps to make API requests to the new ST API)

@RBoy - what does this mean for your apps and device handlers?

-Signed a very grateful RBoy user

2 Likes

We were given to understand that this would be a staggered, orderly transition with about 6 months of notice before the final date. Starting with a migration of stock DTHā€™s, then removing the button to add new DTHā€™s, followed by removing the button to add new SmartApps and finally moving towards retiring running custom devices and apps. That was the basis of planning for the migration priorities. There were promises of APIs such as managing subscribers and bridging the gap between the current SmartApp capabilities and the EndpointApp capabilities to make the transition manageable. This is disconcerting, frustrating and conflicting with messages provided to us in the past.

25 Likes

Hi John, We could not integrate these to Lua. Those devices will be eventually migrated to a Thing Lua Driver. We cannot release that code to the public.

We know this means that it will affect your set up and the devices wonā€™t function in ways previous. We apologize for any inconvenience.

I donā€™t know for you, but I feel I donā€™t know what I need to do

-How can I know what devices can be migrate to edge?
-How can we migrate those (doesnā€™t seem to have a lot of driver available)
-Is there a way to migrate without having to start over with all our device ? (70+)
-Is there any plan for webcore, all my automation are there, cause itā€™s simple and a lot canā€™t be done with routine

ā€¦ I donā€™t know where to startā€¦this deadline is too close, people doesnā€™t seem to be ready or we doesnā€™t have something to migrate toā€¦

5 Likes

Theyā€™re also pushing a notification through the mobile app. I believe towards the end of August.

After looking at my device, seem like 95% doesnā€™t seem to be ā€˜edgeā€™ ready with the ā€˜driversā€™ option . STILL DONā€™T KNOW WHAT I SHOULD DO.

Does ST look at the most use custom device handler and provide alternative? Is it based only on developers of those device handler to migrate fast and provide an alternative solution ?

The deadline seem way too close to be able to migrate correctly. Could it be in the plan to keep the old architecture in parallel during a correct migration. Otherwise I feel a lot will feel lonely and will have to start again, or leave ST for another hubā€¦

1 Like

Wait a bit and you should get more answers. There is no need for you to start over with all your devices. Let ST migrate them and see what happens. As for webcoreā€¦ you will need to handle that on your own. If Routines are not adequate, you can check out the SharpTool Rules Engine to see if it gives additional features

3 Likes

Most z-wave and zigbee devices are already supported in Edge, though possibly not with all of the features that could be found in community DTHs. The stock drivers written by ST can be found here and the list of community drivers can be found here. While each list may look small, each driver can cover a pretty wide range of devices.

You can either migrate manually now (which requires removing and adding each device) or wait for the automatic migration to kick in as described here:

1 Like

Wow this is a sad day for SmartThings power usersā€¦ Thank you for validating my decision to migrate to Hubitat years ago!

10 Likes

SmartThings without Core/WebCore is like an engine without pistons!

6 Likes

While the article has a short list of what will be and what will not be supported, is there a comprehensive list of what will not be supported (for instance is green tech one power mode a legacy device that Iā€™ll need to chuck?). Also, for the ā€œat riskā€ devices, when they are moved to being a ā€œthingā€, will the logic developed in routines be lost (meaning I need to write it down manually now)?