The End of Groovy Has Arrived

My sengled lamp is working on edge driver

From @Mariano_Colmenarejo

Thank you - when I wrote this post there wasnā€™t an Edge Driver for the Nano Duo, in fact I wrote to Aeotec support to tell them - because I find it strange that a company selling Aeotec-branded Smartthings hubs but then not ensure compatibility with all their Zwave/Zigbee devices. I like to think that my little complaint helped push them into coming up with an Edge Driver, which I see now is added at the very bottom of the list :sunglasses:

I will test it, and thank you.

2 Likes

Honestly, given the direction that Samsung seems to be going in and kicking us in the teeth on their way, why not just shift to a friendlier platform like HA or Hubitat? They at least seem to care about their user base more than ST. With Hubitat at least groovy is supported and easily ported to.

1 Like

Well, Iā€™ve been checking my DTH devices every so often to see if they have been migrated to Edge drivers, but I can stop checking my DTH devices now since they changed the wording in the original announcement to ā€˜afterā€™ 30 September is when the DTH drivers will be automatically migrated.

And theyā€™ve added another one of their Groovy SmartApp besides Smart Lighting to the migration. I hope they add the logic of a few more of their SmartThings SmartApps like the Notification capabilities of their Notify Me When SmartApp (currently need to create an individual Automation notification for each device), and their Left It Open SmartApp (currently need advanced skills using two Automations per device with Virtual Switches as timers running in loops).

9 Likes

I see these Notify Me and Smart Lighting and Left it Open apps, and wonder why on earth Smartthings still have not resolved this after so many years for us in Europe - I have never seen any of these apps working because of some geographic restrictions they have in place.

And I wonder if any of those apps were to be ported over to the new Edge environment whether they will make them accessible to us on this side of the pond.

I have just installed and tested this new driver released by Aeotec for the Nano Duo. The device installed correctly as a dual-component device, so it is slightly better than the DTH which used to occupy 2 slots (of my 200-device limit). So far it seems to be working well albeit with significant delays, but I still need to rebuild the Zwave mesh as I have just excluded and re-included 5 Zwave devices on the same floor and relatively close to each other.

The only problem this driver has is that it shows in the UI as a single tile with one switch, which controls both switches together - but if you go into the detail page you can control each one individually. I personally prefer to see the individual components on the dashboard (though 2-component devices like this one end up using more real estate) - and @philh30 has recently been writing such a driver with such a UI for one different device that I also have, and in my opinion, it looks great and shows the individual detail of the components without having to go into the detail page.

Anyhow - at least it seems to work. so for now, it will do. and of course - thank you!

3 Likes

They mentioned there would be a new Smart lighting plugin to replace the current version. They are going to migrate the current SL rules over to the new version automatically. As far as region blocking goes ā€¦ unknown :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yesā€¦ thought as much :slightly_smiling_face: guess I will have to wait as they donā€™t reply to my queries here.

So started to check out IFTTT for Ecobee control today and had forgotten I already had my Blink cameras running through it. Also forgot I have to create applets for both on and off on the virtual switch, so definitely going to be tight in the free account. As suggested I know I could work around with multiple accounts.

The other thing Iā€™m running into is away mode. Currently I use Webcore to set both thermostats to indefinite away when all phones leave the house, but in IFTTT I am finding you canā€™t set a comfort profile indefinite. Did you find a way around that? I thought I could just set an actual temperature set point instead, and change it as the seasons change, but for several months I have it set to auto so need actually a cooling and warming set point which I donā€™t think IFTTT can do. Have you run into this?

Iā€™m doing the same thing, but replacing Ecobee Suite helpers instead of WebCoRE pistons, and moving to the SharpTools.io rules engine. Sharptools is between WebCoRE and IFTTT in terms of abilities, but much closer to WebCoRE. I donā€™t think thereā€™s any limit on number of rules you can create on a free account; a paid account gets you more features, including variables, which I havenā€™t found that I need so far.

Iā€™m still running the Ecobee Suite handler for the thermostat while I rebuild my automations; I think when I re-add it as a stock device, Iā€™m going to lose a lot of the capabilities that are available to my SharpTools rules.

With the helpers I had the comfort modes set to hold indefinitely; now I suspect theyā€™ll only hold until the next scheduled change, but itā€™s so long since Iā€™ve used the built-in scheduler that I have no idea what that looks like. My hope is that even if the modes are out of whack, between school runs and at least one person working from home most days weā€™ll be coming and going often enough that we bump it back into the desired mode pretty quickly anyway.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know how it handles indefinite holds, but I use Alexaā€™s custom commands to trigger different comfort modes. In the examples given for the Ecobee skills it indicates a stop hold command and a return to schedule command.

2 Likes

Since I am really getting into a specific device/integration discussion I figured I should start a separate
thread. Anyone who wants to talk Ecobee feel free to come join and we can see what we can cook up.

2 Likes

If you have a raspberry pi (or similar) running Iā€™d advise to look into NodeRed which has an excellent integration with SmarThings, and allows the creation of very complex automations, as well as interfacing SmartThings with all the products, devices and services that have a NodeRed Palette.

Itā€™s how Iā€™m going to integrate Nuki, Tado, Honeywell, Ecovacsā€¦

2 Likes

A somewhat strange situation that I do not know if it can be linked with the changes taking place towards migration to EDGE. I made a separate post being too off topic here. If anyone wants to read my misadventure, I leave you the link ā€¦ Osram motion sensor deleted which returns with its old name

So, do I understand correctly that the Groovy EOL was last night? And DHā€™s were to be converted to Edge Drivers?

Iā€™m a little confused, bc my WebCoRE automation pistons are working today,

Iā€™ve started a transition to SharpTools (Rule Engine), but before i get too far along, I want to make sure any of my current devices are in their final state - that is I donā€™t want to create new SharpTools Rules if my devices are going to changed/removed&re-added/whatever and disappear from SharpTools.

ā€¦Or is it safe to create new SharpTools Rules now?

I think you may be off by a monthā€¦ See the updated first post in this thread.

2 Likes

Not sure where you got the EOL of groovy was last night. The new end date starts on October 15, 2022ā€¦the details are in the first post of this thread. Originally, ST had set Sept. 30 as the end date. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the correction on the date!

Is it safe to create new Rules in SharpTools re: my concerns?

1 Like

yes, you can create SharpTools rules. It works with both Groovy and Edge devices.

2 Likes

SmartThings device migrations are expected to start at the end of September.

The FAQ is one of the better resources at the moment, but hereā€™s a gross simplification of things:

ā€“

If you are mostly using standard Z-Wave and zigbee devices, that migration is supposed to be mostly seamless.

If you are using custom DTHs for standard zigbee or Z-Wave devices, the system should migrate you to a standard driver. At that point you may need to install a custom driver if there are custom capabilities that you need. If itā€™s a more bespoke device that doesnā€™t have a matching built-in driver, youā€™ll have to find a custom driver that meets your needs.

For LAN devices, I expect itā€™s going to be more hit or miss (mostly miss) and you will probably need to manually take care of many of those devices.

ā€“

So the LAN devices are probably the ones that will require re-onboarding to your SmartThings hub and thus would get new device IDs and would need to be updated in your rules at that point.

2 Likes