The End of Groovy Has Arrived

The ‘Simulated Switch’ type is one of the DTHs that was designed to simulate the behaviour of real hardware in testing. So it included things like online and offline status. It got widely adopted as a quick replacement for the Virtual Switch where the latter’s handling of state changes caused particular issues. I’d be surprised if that is on the table for migration but you never know.

1 Like

I had a bunch of stock device handler GE/Jasco switches (non dimmers or fans) migrate yesterday. Was hoping for another round today. No luck. I’m just getting close to 50% of the way of my device on edge from my count although a few were added after edge became the primary. What’s really weird is that ZERO of my Samsung SmartThings brand contact sensors have migrated. Same for motion detectors. And they are all using stock/built in handlers.

Again, would be great for some communication about what to expect in last 2 weeks of this migration timeline and why it’s taking so long. Also, if Groovy does indeed get shut down on Dec 31st and we have devices that haven’t migrated over (even to a “thing”) then do those devices STOP working? Even if they were on stock/built in handler?

Please please please Samsung, provide some added information and details about what to expect. You all have completely botched this process from the very beginning (Sept 30th), but you have a chance to end on a good note. Let us know what to expect and why it’s been taking so long! Please!

1 Like

I don’t think the IDE is 100% reliable in reporting devices that have been migrated to Edge drivers. I have two Sylvania Gardenspots that have been migrated and show drivers in the app. However, in the IDE they are listed as ZigBee RGB bulbs and not as Placeholders.

3 Likes

I’ve heard the same thing. To me it is looking at things from the wrong end. Going forwards it is what the API can see that matters so I find it more valuable to see what devices of type DTH it thinks still exist.

I’ve got three. Two are the same Sonos (you get one per hub) and the other is a Sonoff outlet that briefly appeared in a PR several months ago but wasn’t merged as the port wasn’t actually complete.

2 Likes

Me too. I had a z-wave device migrated and in the IDE it showed as Placeholder. I changed the driver in the app and looked in the IDE again and it moved back to the name of the DTH.

New API/CLI does seem to be the only reliable way.

2 Likes

I would also recommend the API Browser created by @TAustin. Gives detailed views on all devices on your hub and can filter by device type to show you devices that are still using DTH drivers.

2 Likes

I get that I am screaming into the Void that is Samsung as well a preaching to the choir, but I am quickly reaching my limit. I started with Smartthings way back when they were small and not owned by Samsung. I stayed with them though outages, back end redesigns, and every bump along the way, and told others “it will get better”. My point being is, I have loved this platform and this community.

With all of that said, this migration might be the end of the road for this relationship. I have sat by patiently, not really complaining about it, as I get migrations can be hard. We are 15 days away from the end of Groovy, and I have no idea as to what is going on. How many of my remaining devices will migrate (currently 54 of 160 have migrated or I moved). How many are just going to break? I have called out “supported devices” that are missing fingerprints so are not being picked up. The API is not even whole yet. Another set of devices that is multifunctional, are supported but ,more at a single device and not the multi function device that I paid for and need. The lack of communication I think shows the contempt Samsung has for this community. We are not hapless consumers that see technology as a magic box. We are technologist and engineers from multiple disciplines, that have helped make this platform what it is today. We have lost some great community members that added a lot. I don’t know, it is sad when a company thinks it can treat it’s customers and evangelist like this and expect us to still want to be a part of the ecosystem.

16 Likes

I have a Cree bulb that has migrated but in the IDE it shows as Cree Bulb still.

The IDE is not reliable. Check it via the ST App, the CLI or the API Browser.

1 Like

Would be nice to have some feedback from ST about Smartthings branded devices, yes, there are Beta versions but due to the amount of automations i have connected i really would like a proper ST auto transition for these

3 Likes

Please wait until 12/31. We are all in the same boat!

1 Like

Wait? Wait till Groovy is shut off and then figure out what works and does not work and scramble to fix what does not work? It cost them nothing to have @nayelyz pop in here and give us some updates. I still have 91 devises in limbo. That includes 3 Zooz Zen20s that Zooz is not waning to fix the driver for because the API is not done yet. This includes Keen Vents that Smartthings said they wrote a driver for, but missed every single fingerprint of all of mine. And again, we are not asking to to wave a magic wand and make everything perfect, we are just asking for communication.

3 Likes

Just to be clear, the ZEN20 driver is fully functional and doesn’t have any known bugs so there wasn’t anything that actually needed to be fixed.

The ability to create standalone child devices was added to the platform after their drivers were written and Zooz was holding off on adding that enhancement because ST advised against implementing drivers that way until they officially announce that it’s supported.

That being said, it looks like the built-in drivers that were converted to parent/child have been stable for about a month and Zooz’s final driver should be published tonight so adding that feature to some of their multichannel devices is now at the top of their priority list.

A new version of the ZEN30 that has a setting you can enable to create a standalone child device should be published this week and if that doesn’t cause any problems then it will be added to some of the others, including the ZEN20.

2 Likes

That was not meant to be a dig at you or Zooz. yes there is a driver, but if I can’t expose each channel like I could in the DTH, it is a bug to me. I get the deal because of the API, and my post was about how poorly this migration is being handled and starting a migration while the API is still being4 developed is like trying to paint the walls while the house is still being framed.

It isn’t her job to provide updates on the migration. She’s a developer advocate, not customer service or pr.

11 Likes

Advocate is a PR position if I was to be pedantic. Back to the point I was trying to make, Samsung is mishandling this migration on so many levels, they can’t even manage the easiest which is the communications.

3 Likes

Agreed. Clearly lots of efforts going on by their customers (us) so I think in return just a weekly update post providing

• some migration stats,
  • issues being worked through
  • latest timeline

would seem more than reasonable.

3 Likes

Agreed! Just not by developer advocates, who are already busy enough helping developers get their stuff migrated.

8 Likes

Yes, a GE/Jasco dual outlet (my only Z-Wave device at present) was migrated recently

T minus 11 days. 73 devices on edge with 50+ to go. We’ve had almost 90 days and we’re down to the last 10. Unbelievable. If devices don’t get migrated and they simply stop working after Dec 31, I’m done with SmartThings.

1 Like