Temporarily disabling pistons

Hello, I’m new to this, but getting a grasp on making pistons. I have 2 running that are working as intended. BUT, how do you deal with those times when you don’t want the automation? Smarter pistons? Temporarily disabling? Not having that piston? I’ll give a few examples…

Thanks to SmartThings, my garage door closes automatically if it is open, the garage temperature is below 32 degrees and 15 minutes of inactivity in my garage has been sensed. All is good, but what if I am shoveling snow and want the garage door to remain open despite the temperature. Or maybe I have it set to auto-close after dusk, but want to have a bonfire with the door open?

Another thought is to automatically turn off my gas fireplace if (for instance) sensed temperature is above a certain range and no motion has been sensed for a period of time. What if the baby sitter is sleeping on the couch (who doesn’t know about the automation) and wants to keep the fireplace on? I suppose it just gets restarted by the baby sitter?

Or maybe my living room lights turn on to 15% if it is after 2AM and motion is sensed in the hallway (maybe to illuminate a path to the kitchen). What if someone is sleeping in the living room and you just want to (for example) use the light of your phone to illuminate the way? Take the time to pause the piston?

What do you do when you don’t want the automation?

-Jim