Tell me your IDE issues

Feature Request, show how many devices are currently using a custom device type so we know if it is in use or not.

6 Likes

With the risk of being too generic, may I suggest as an overall feature request that the Code Editor be something at least as richly functional as the Cloud9 online environment or similar? ie, multi-window, code completion, auto indent, search/replace, infinite undo, debugger, …

I believe that their underlying IDE is Open Source, actually.

https://c9.io

3 Likes

patrick, you’re on fire.

3 Likes

When syntax or run time error is detected, the message should tell the actual line number. Often times it’s off.

3 Likes

When saving code changes while IDE error expired, it’s not obvious that the changes are lost.

6 Likes

Clean way of installing SmartApp via the IDE.

9 Likes

When viewing list of installed SmartApps, open app details in a new window rather than a popup.

3 Likes

Make code samples searchable.

9 Likes

Are you talking about SmartApps intended for permanent use?

1 Like

Any sensible way to manage devices and apps in the IDE would be amazing!

2 Likes

We’re basically moving towards this. I’m just trying to get a feel for which features are the most desired so we can focus on those first.

1 Like

Haven’t we done this recently?

I think it was a little bit ago. I wanted to get the latest issues since I’m working on this now.

Well… I guess I’ll come back with individual features (currently I cut / paste from Cloud9 to the ST editor, so I take all the Cloud9 features for granted.

So… For votes / Likes:

• Infinite undo (i.e., timeline rollback).

WordPress has this, but only at save points.

Current ST has some sort of “Edited but not published” flag, but it is a little unclear of how it works, and is surely only one version.

1 Like

Heads up, I’m updating the first post with an issue list and the status of a few of them.

2 Likes

Have properties of installed app show correct app state and settings.

3 Likes

“Save As” function.

Generally, an entire online filesystem should be available to the developer to save works in progress, templates / code fragments, rename, folders, and run “git” within.

2 Likes
  • #include

For personal or public source code fragments not in compiled library form.

This would give us some clean code reuse / modularity ability. IDE editor and debugger, though, now has to be able to jump to referenced included files.

(Of course, the ability to create / use own classes and jars is a bigger wish, not in IDE scope.).

5 Likes

Ability to embed (virtual) device handlers within SmartApps.

2 Likes

Explain? Example? Is this an IDE feature or an architectural change?