SmartThings Community

TED5000 Energy Monitor

Right now it is by IP address only.

If you know of another device handler that works via LAN and host name, let me know and I can look at copying how they do it.

Here is a new sample Image to reflect the current GitHub code:

Hi. New to the community here so please bear with me.

I just installed your device monitor and configured it to point at my TED. At first, it was unable to read any data from the TED, and was unsure why. For reasons I won’t get into here, the TED was on a different subnet on my home network than the SmartThings hub. I reconfigured my network so that both devices are now on the same subnet and changed the device configuration and now everything works just fine. Communication between those subnets is allowed on my network.

Any thoughts on why this connection wouldn’t work correctly? Is this a security feature?

Playing with TED 6000. I’ll put my progress up on github: https://github.com/bowood/TED6000

Awesome! Thanks so much. Installed painlessly and works like a champ! Now if I can only get my SolarEdge to communicate effectively…

Can somebody let me know how to get swap-files TED5000 code working. I just want to get the basic information from my TED5000 into smart things. I have the code published as a custom device handler, but can’t see any device. I’ve done custom device handlers before, but normally just following detailed instructions.

I know this is an old thread, but wondering if anyone is interested in the Ted 6000 with Spyder code I hacked together back in 2015. If so I can put on GitHub, and maybe spend some time cleaning up the code. The 5000 and 6000 use different API XML’s, so to combine them into one smartapp/device handler pair would take work. I just have the 6000 (TED Pro Home) at home to test with.

The basic design is a smart app to poll the data locally from hub to TED. Enter in the local IP, then Auto create child devices for each MTU and Spyder discovered, poll the settings api to get the names of the spyders. Poll every 5 minutes, or on demand. The on demand poll just populates all other child devices, since it’s a single XML file from the API to save bandwidth.

1. My code is messy, and the MTU auto create could use a couple hours of tweaking.
  2. the spyders don’t auto update the names when changed in the TED gui. Probably another hour of tinkering.
  3. only works on Smartthings classic
  4. The device handler uses google charts, which work well on the iPhone and iPad Smartthings classic app via HTML tile. I have not tested on android, but figure google charts had the best chance of cross platform success, and it’s fast. Only 2-3 seconds to draw a 48 hour chart.
  5. some historical data disappears from smartthings, so half the day disappears off the chart. I could use help there.

The smart app config screen:

The MTU device handler:

The Spyder device handler:

If I had the time, I’d like to pull metric data directly from the TED for the charting. And pie in the sky, send the metrics to a pattern matching service, to report when things are out of the ordinary. I’ve already noticed on the Air conditioner Spyder charts, a slow increase over 15-20 minutes from 3.5kw to 4.6kw and then 0, indicates a capacitor failure, causing the motor to overheat, use more power and eventually trip the overheat threshold. once it cools, the compressor comes back on. a $10 capacitor on amazon fixed why my AC unit was costing so much to run, and not cooling very well. Three HVAC companies told me it was just old age, couldn’t be saved and would cost $5,000 minimum to replace.

Hey Joe,

Still using the old TED5000 with 4 MTU. Do you mind sharing device handler code? Having issues with “swap-file” code. Thanks!

-gim

Is the swap file code not working for your 5000?

I have the 6000 only. Support documents show they are different XML api’s. My smart app has the MTU hard coded on lines 176 - 185. If you have a 6000, you’ll want to modify that. At least until I get around to making it auto discover.

the smart app for the 6000

the 2 device handlers, 1 for the MTU and 1 for the Spyders.

Hey Joe,

Thanks for your reply.

No. The funny things is that jwsf code works. I managed to customize it a little. But I think I have more code than I need.

your app doesn’t work. I was trying to look for some ideas to put in modified jwsf code.

I got the handler working…just didn’t put colors on it.