Synology Diskstation & Cameras

Swanny’s code no longer works… it’s a shame.

Two other developers took on the code but they each have their own bag of issues.

1 Like

But on a similar note, when I try to display video through chrome I get

{"error":{"code":105},"success":false}

which means (per the API) insufficient access.

So is there any other options for adding synology surveillance station now?

I don’t think so… I do know that @Needlerp @swanny and @asmuts knocked it out of the park with their effort.

I personally think something on my side prevents me from streaming video using @Needlerp DTH and I believe motion detection does not work properly using @Needlerp code.

Sorry all I’m afraid I’m definitely more of a hobbyist than a programmer. My DTH has been working ver stably for me for about 3 weeks now with no issues on motion control, live streaming or the image carousel. I guess individual issues may be related to camera type, surveillance station version or something g else that I haven’t yet thought of.

I’m happy to try and help others bug fix if they want me to.

You need to make sure that the login details you are providing in the app has sufficient t user rights in surveillance station. Try creating a new user with full access and testing that, you can easily delete it again afterwards without having to change your standard login settings.

This version is for static images only, not streaming. Look in the posts above for the link to my fork of the original code and see if that works for you.

Top right corner of the video window, does the text ever change from ‘Active’ to ‘Connecting’?

Yes, it changes from active to connecting.

I liked your thought about SS so I went investigating and I (admin) only had Read permissions for SS. So I changed the permission to R/W with no effect.

But your thought about cameras and setups got me thinking.

I have Foscams and I have SS set to ‘live view from SS’. I am curious about your setup to determine where my setup may differ.

Justin,

Mine are HIKVision, H.264 stream playing live view via SS.

Go to your logs, when you try and play the live stream it will give you a local and a remote url. Paste the local URL into chrome – do you get a video stream, a black page with a small white box or an error message? If we can get that part working, the rest should be fairly straightforward to resolve.

This is what I get

Ok that looks as though it’s working the same as mine. What happens when you click to refresh the I’ve stream in the app. Are you on wifi, and what colour is the ‘connecting’ text top right? If you get an error message, try and refresh the stream a couple of times to see if it works.

Also, does your Take Snapshot button work?

1. Yes, I am on wifi.
  2. When I hit refresh within the app the log.trace states ‘refresh starting’ nothing more. The refresh light turns blue on the screen and nothing else happens.
  3. When trying to view live the ‘Connecting’ in the upper right of the screen is white and I wait until I receive a message within the app that states ‘Cannot find camera’. Interestingly, the log reports “Streaming”.
  4. I never thought to try it, but the snapshot button does work :slight_smile:

New question.

What causes the SID on my disk station to change? I ask because when it changes I have to change the AT media. It’s not the end of the world, it’s more of a be prepared to fix my Action Tiles if I do x just don’t know what x is.

As far as I can work out, it only changes when your diskstation reboots, so usually just after a DSM update.

Regards,

Paul Needler

Why don’t you get snapshots directly from your cameras for AT. I don’t have ST setup to talk to my diskstation. That’s way too complicated if your cameras support snapshots, which nearly all of them do.

If you go via SS there’s no need to expose your cameras to the internet or do port forwarding, only your diskstation is open to your firewall.

Regards,

Paul Needler

I didn’t realize that people were using AT much outside the home.

So i am curious. The code that you posted should it automatically take a pic when it sees motion? I used your branch that you put up and finally able to get it to work if i press the take button it will then give me a snapshot but wondered if i was maybe overlooking something that would make it take it on its own. Im running Hikvision cameras and have them set for motion.