SwitchMania [UPDATED] - create 4 different kinds of virtual switches

smartapp_misc
childsmartapp
childdevice
virtualdevice

(Tony - SmartThings Unpublished Contributor ) #1

SwitchMania - get here
Create, Control, and Use virtual switches from a single Parent App. No need to use IDE. Allows you to replace dozens of SmartApps with just 1! And if you decide that you no longer need a virtual switch (and/or the link to a Routine), then SwitchMania App deletes it.

SwitchMania - is the parent app.
It controls 2 types of child apps:
(1) My Virtual Switch Creator - which creates virtual (on/off or momentary) switches and
(2) My Switch Calls Routines App - which links a switch with a Routine (Hello Home) when a switch is turned on or off.

You need to install all 3 apps in the IDE.

To have SwitchMania be able to create Virtual Momentary Button Device, you also need to install SmartThings’ “Momentary Button Tile” in the IDE.

Instructions:
The first page of the parent SwitchMania App is the “Create and/or Edit Virtual Switches” page:

Clicking on the “Create a new virtual switch” section will open the “Create New Virtual Switch” (child) page:

When fill out the info, click “done”, it will return to page 1 of SwitchMania. Here’s an example of that page with a few virtual switches:

Clicking “Next” will take you to the 2nd page of SwitchMania app - the “Link Switches with Routines” page:

Clicking the “Create new link…” section will open the “Create New Link to Routine” (child) page:

When you fill out the info, click “done”, it will return to page 2 of SwitchMania. Here’s an example of that page with a few links between switches and Routines:

Clicking “Next” will take you to the 3rd page of SwitchMania app - the “Options” page - which just allows you to change the name of the SwitchMania app:

Enjoy! And, if you feel like making a donation for these community efforts, it would be greatly appreciated: https://www.paypal.me/anthonypastor . Thanks!

-Tony

Virtual Device Manager - Create Virtual Devices Without the IDE
Virtual Switch help please
How to create a Child Device: Momentary on/off tile
Rule Machine Virtual Switch Help
Setting up BR30 bulbs
Handling Devices (Finding by name and adding new)
Idea for a physical switch to control smart bulbs like LIFX or Hue
Smart Lighting Pause Button
Using Smart Plug as Button?
Switch to turn on Alexa Group
[WITHDRAWN] Denon Network AV Receivers
FAQ: Creating a virtual Device
How to Trigger Piston From Virtual Button
Alexa Routines - Live at last (two years in the making)
Rules and how they are displayed on the dashboard
(Ash (www.smart-dots.com) / Ashutosh Jaiswal) #2

Does this create a virtual switch without the need to log into the IDE and then choose “Add New Device”??
I see that you have included the option of creating a momentary switch . Can we modify it to create a regular toggle switch?

(Tony - SmartThings Unpublished Contributor ) #3

Yes. No need to use IDE.

It will create as many virtual switches as you want. You have the option to create a regular “On / Off Button” or – if you install SmartThings “Momentary Button” device type – a “Momentary Button”.

Great minds think alike, apparently. :sunglasses:

(Dean Smith) #5

I’m getting the following error when trying to install the 3rd app:

Validation Error(s) occurred during save(): - Field error in object ‘physicalgraph.app.SmartApp’ on field ‘author’: rejected value [null]; codes [physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author.nullable.error.physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author,physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author.nullable.error.author,physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author.nullable.error.java.lang.String,physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author.nullable.error,smartApp.author.nullable.error.physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author,smartApp.author.nullable.error.author,smartApp.author.nullable.error.java.lang.String,smartApp.author.nullable.error,physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author.nullable.physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author,physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author.nullable.author,physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author.nullable.java.lang.String,physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author.nullable,smartApp.author.nullable.physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author,smartApp.author.nullable.author,smartApp.author.nullable.java.lang.String,smartApp.author.nullable,nullable.physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author,nullable.author,nullable.java.lang.String,nullable]; arguments [author,class physicalgraph.app.SmartApp]; default message [{0} cannot be null]

(Tony - SmartThings Unpublished Contributor ) #6

@deano12 - Thanks. There was a line missing in the definition section. I’ve updated the app in Github. You can grab it from link above, or you can just add

author: “Anthony Pastor”,

to the definition section (after the namespace line).

(Dean Smith) #7

I’m now having trouble deleting one of the virtual switches I created? error message:

deleted object would be re-saved by cascade (remove deleted object from associations): [physicalgraph.app.InstalledSmartApp#6674932d-c19e-45b9-885b-a5783dbc6653]; nested exception is org.hibernate.ObjectDeletedException: deleted object would be re-saved by cascade (remove deleted object from associations): [physicalgraph.app.InstalledSmartApp#6674932d-c19e-45b9-885b-a5783dbc6653]

Plus I’ve now updated the 3rd app, cant see any additional options however?

(Tony - SmartThings Unpublished Contributor ) #8

Hmmm. I’ve not had any problems deleting any child device / child apps.

Have you used the child virtual switch in any other smartapp / routine? If so, delete the association between the child virtual switch and that smartapp / routine first, then try deleting the child virtual switch. If that doesn’t work / apply, then delete from IDE - go to bottom of “My Locations” tab, click “List SmartApps”. Then on the “Installed Smart Apps” page that opens, click “Edit” and uninstall the problematic virtual switch.

The “3rd app” - “My Switch Calls Routines App” provides the option to call a Routine when a switch (virtual or otherwise) is turned on or off. Look on the 2nd page of the SwitchMania app (the title of page reads “Link Switches with Routines (HH Phrases)”.

(Justin) #9

I am receiving an “An unexpected error occurred” message when I try to create a momentary switch. I entered the switch label, select momentary button type as type, and assign a name. When I hit next is when I receive the error. I have all 3 apps installed and installed the momentary button tile from the IDE. The momentary button is just a generic set-up in the IDE. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

I am trying to create a momentary switch to open/close my garage doors. I am pretty new to this and assume that a momentary switch is the correct route to take in trying to achieve this action.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

(Mike) #10

FYI - the “my switch calls routines” app on github is still missing this line.

(Mike) #11

@jmhoke23 Install the momentary tile device type and it should fix this. I didn’t do this at first either since I assumed it would use the built-in momentary device type but apparently that’s not the case. Errors went away as soon as I did this.

And for those not familiar, it’s nice to add the github integration into your IDE. First, create a github account and link it in the IDE.

Click on settings in either My Device Types or My SmartApps:

Then add infofiend’s (and anyone else’s) repository:

After that you can easily update the device types and apps using the “Update from Repo” button.

(Justin) #12

@zj4x4…apologies but I am new to this. I changed the device type in IDE to momentary capability, momentary button, and also tried momentary button tile all with no luck. I am assuming that I should be selecting something else under the device type, is that correct? If so could I trouble you for a quick screen of the exact device type?

THANKS

(Mike) #13

Open the IDE and go to device types. Click new device type. Click the ‘From Code’ tab.

In another browser tab open infofiend’s device type from: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/infofiend/SwitchMania/master/devicetypes/smartthings/momentary-button-tile.src/momentary-button-tile.groovy (this is the raw code view)

Select all (ctrl+A), copy (ctrl+C) and paste it into the IDE tab where you are creating the new device type. It will take you to the code editing screen. Click Publish > For Me.

Now close the ST app on your phone completely and open it up again. When you run SwitchMania you should no longer receive errors.

(Nick S) #14

I just tried to install this because im having trouble with setting a dimmer that steps the level up or down over a certain amount of time. This seems to allow me to try this again with a few workarounds.

Im having an issue installing the app though. This is the error i get when pasting the code to my IDE.

No signature of method: script14528649924281569178833.metadata() is applicable for argument types: (script14528649924281569178833$_run_closure1) values: [script14528649924281569178833$_run_closure1@e4195da] Possible solutions: getMetadata(), getState(), setState(java.lang.Object), metaClass(groovy.lang.Closure)

(The fish is still dead.) #15

There are two different places to paste based on whether you’re adding a device type or a SmartApp. I think you’re in the wrong one. :smile:

(Nick S) #16

DOH!!! :flushed: Thank you for the help. I worked, funny how that happens. :relieved:

(Johnny) #17

Unable to install the “My Switch Calls Routines App”. Go to install smart app, copy code from RAW and get the following error.

Validation Error(s) occurred during save(): - Field error in object 'physicalgraph.app.SmartApp' on field 'author': rejected value [null]; codes [physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author.nullable.error.physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author,physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author.nullable.error.author,physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author.nullable.error.java.lang.String,physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author.nullable.error,smartApp.author.nullable.error.physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author,smartApp.author.nullable.error.author,smartApp.author.nullable.error.java.lang.String,smartApp.author.nullable.error,physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author.nullable.physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author,physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author.nullable.author,physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author.nullable.java.lang.String,physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author.nullable,smartApp.author.nullable.physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author,smartApp.author.nullable.author,smartApp.author.nullable.java.lang.String,smartApp.author.nullable,nullable.physicalgraph.app.SmartApp.author,nullable.author,nullable.java.lang.String,nullable]; arguments [author,class physicalgraph.app.SmartApp]; default message [{0} cannot be null]

Just curious if anyone else is having this issue. Would love to try this app and trust the work of @infofiend (pretty much most of the apps I use are by you) :wink:

(Tony - SmartThings Unpublished Contributor ) #18

Have you installed the device types as well?

I was getting the same error, then I added this piece of code author: “Anthony Pastor”, under the namspace line and I stopped getting the error.

I am currently having an issue where the switches are not being created and once I define the switch name and button caption, the screen does nothing. The green heading saying that the app is successful and now automating comes up, but nothing else happens.

(Tony - SmartThings Unpublished Contributor ) #20

Fixed that error in the GitHub Repo. Sorry everyone.