Switching from ST Classic to ST New App, Questions before I try

I want to test the new App with out bricking my entire system so got some questions before I try:

1. Can I keep the old app up and available at the same time I configure new app?
  2. Will all my hubs automatically show up?
  3. Is there anything I need to do to get all devices loaded or is it automatic?
  4. Is the custom Device Handler issue resolved? Or do I need to modify all of them to work?
  5. Any other Gotcha’s I should know about?

Thanks…

Yes. You can use both apps.

Yes

Should be automatic. Some find they need to contact ST support to sync data between the two apps.

Depends on what you have. Login to the new app and see what happens :slight_smile:

You may not want to run SHM in the Classic and STHM in the new app at the same time. Can get confusing.

Another gotcha is that you can’t see your presence as a thing in the new app.

2 Likes

OK, loaded it. I hate it. I like the classic app favorites screen with the variable colored tiles big font showing all my temperature, humidity, voltages and various other sensors.
Most of my custom devices lost there name and showing wrong units or nothing at all.
Gonna stick with Classic till its retired then try again or look elsewhere.

2 Likes

If you are lucky, it will just work. But many people (myself included) had devices missing in the new app after I started using it. If you don’t see anything, then you’ll need to open a support ticket to get it resolved.

Wait until you discover that the history of a device in the new app isn’t real time like in the Classic app – some back-end service fills it in, and the history can lag reality. Try dealing with that when you diagnosing some real sensor problem.

But it is worthwhile getting the new app up and running sooner than later.

1 Like

If I login to the new mobile app to look around and get used to what is eventually coming :nerd_face:, and then decide to move back to the classic mobile client for 99% of my home automations (e.g… IDE, use of custom DTH, WebCore, presence, device history, etc), will I loose anything going back to the classic app which is working as expected in my home?

Other words, can I take a peek at new mobile ST client and NOT migrate anything to avoid losing any of the classic functions?

As long as you don’t delete your routines in classic, you’ll be fine.

Will I loose the ability to create new routines in the legacy ST mobile client?

Yeah, the routines tab will vanish and you’ll have to go through support to get it added back. When I migrated myself over to the new app, I created all my Automations/scenes in the new app first before deleting routines.

1 Like

The Rountine tab only disappears if you remove all the routines in it.

That’s what I was trying to say.

The question is why would you want to create new routines at this point? The end is near! The end is near! Start using automations and save the hassle of a last minute switchover that will only lead to frustration. Jump in… everything will be fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha… “The end is near, the end is near…” I guess I have a form of “Prudent Paranoia”, which is defined as, ‘Constructive suspicion regarding the intentions and actions of people and organizations’. I have always been a moderate risk taker when I know and understand the knowns, it’s my unknown knowns that I am still getting a information on from the community leaders that have been on the new platform (like you @jkp) , so thanks for all helping me make a informed decision on this jump before I am shoved. (As an example, I still prefer to code Python 2.x but now easing into using 3.x as my default so I am capable of change :grin:)"

One never knows when/if I will need a new routine that is not doable in the new client I still have legacy routines that change hub location based on multi sensor events, but I suppose my peaked interest in the new client is a little of FOMO on what many have already done… Also, many of my public SmartApps are not performing as expected in the new client and I get weekly communications asking for help…

OK, so I guess the ONLY issue that will be affected is creating new routines and as you say, “99% can be accomplished in using ‘Automations’”

1 Like

Sigh. Jumped. It’s not fine. What a mess.

3 Likes

1 Like