Switch Living App: Use HomeKit and SmartThings Together

There is another option available that does not require HomeBridge, at all. You can download the Switch app (www.switch-living.com). The app is able to connect to SmartThings as well as HomeKit devices and some other technologies - and it can be controlled through Siri and with Siri Shortcuts. Switch also provides some nice routine support and a sophisticated alarm logic out of the box. I think that’s better and avoids the whole homebridge thing.

1 Like

So we give you access to our Smartthings and Homekit devices and you do some fancy easy user interface automations in the cloud… how do you guys make money to support the infrastructure, app development ect…

1 Like

So far we don’t make money. We just provide a product and service that we love. We are however considering to help people retrofit their homes with smart devices and that may help earn some money - and eventually we also want to offer a monitoring service that makes Switch a full alternative to ADT or Verisure etc. That monitoring service won’t be free - but optional, maybe pay-per-use and a lot cheaper than any of the incumbents.

Unless you can make it run locally with cellular notification to a monitoring center, it will not be an alternative to ADT, and cannot be UL listed as a security system.

It could certainly be an alternative to SmartThings, which is also cloud dependent for all notifications.

I already listed the shortcuts option in my post in the other thread, there are some community members doing that.

I understand that you have pre-built an app intended to make the process easier, but underneath it’s the same idea.

And of course once iOS 13 is released, Shortcuts functionality is going to expand significantly

I am confused about one thing, though. Typically using Shortcuts just gives you voice control of a device, it doesn’t let you add it, for example, To a SmartThings Automation. So the Homeseer bridge method gives you much more granular control of devices through Homekit, not just Siri.

Are you saying that with the switch app in the middle you could fully expose smartthings-controlled non-HomeKit devices to HomeKit automations? Or HomeKit devices to smartthings automations?

I’m just confused about the degree of integration being offered.

Hi JDRoberts, thanks for your thoghtful comment. The legal requirements for the classification as a security system differ by country and luckily evolve over time - albeit slowly. We’re not focused on the legal classification yet, but on building something that is fit for the purpose. We’ve seen traditional alarm system controllers destroyed on the phone before they were able to send an alarm through the cell connection - therefore we prefer a cloud based system. We however recommend a WAN connection with a 3G failover router - that eliminates the risk of an internet disconnection at least as good as a system with local logic and cell dependency for alerts.

Hi JDRoberts,
Switch does not depend on Shortcuts in order to interact with SmartThings or HomeKit devices - it uses Apple’s HomeKit API and a SmartThings API that we’ve written in Groovy. That gives full access to the devices functionality. Switch does not use HomeKit or SmartThings automations but has its own automations - and that’s where it’s irrelevant if a device is a HomeKit or a SmarThings device. Switch also offers Siri Shortcuts - so you can use Siri Shortcuts to control Switch (devices, routines, alarm modes), which in turn controls devices through their respective APIs.

I’m sorry, I’m confused.

A cloud-based system also requires a physical device in the home to make the cloud connection, and that is just as vulnerable to destruction.

Moreover, these days almost all security systems in the US at least use cellular communications direct to the monitoring center.

But most Internet connections use either DSL or cable Internet, and both of these have a cable outside of the house which is easy to locate and damage.

So if the family is a specific target, a cloud-based system is much easier for an attacker to disable. They just cut the street cable. No more Internet, no more cloud access. :disappointed_relieved:

If the home’s system is using a cellular module to reach the Internet, then that’s exactly equal again to the potential physical vulnerability of the Non-cloud system. But you still have the added weak point that the cloud itself has to be available and operational.

Submitted with respect.

It’s not working actually it doesn’t give any token
Can you help please

Hi Sunil,
I assume that you followed the instructions on our website about how to install the Switch SmartThings API and after the last step don’t see the required information. It should show in the bottom right corner of the website (you may have to scroll down a bit to see it). It’s below all the devices and the „Uninstall“ button. If you see the Uninstall button and nothing below it, then it will be because you did not enable „OAuth“ for the new SmartApp. Can you please check and retry? In case you followed the instructions and installed the app on the simulator successfully but still don’t see the API endpoint and token, we suggest you contact the SmartThings support. If after obtaining the endpoint and token you run into further problems, please don’t hesitate to check in with us, again.

Thanks for help I got the token and the endpoint but when I enter it on the app it does nothing I pressed save and nothing happen.

Hi Sunil,

glad you obtained the endpoint and the token. I see that your SmartThings hub was correctly connected and your devices do show. Not sure what prevented the devices from displaying on your screen, but if you touch the blue home on the home screen or restart the app, you should see your devices.

Best regards,

Andreas

Is switch-living still active? I can’t get it to work (connect button does nothing after entering api and endpoint). I tried to reach out via the contact form on the website and it just says “Server error. Form not sent.”

Hi Michael,

yes, Switch is live and working well for many users. We’ll have a look into the website contact form, but we will reach out to you by email and see how we can make it work for you.

Best regards,

Your Switch Team

Having the same problem when trying to add my smartthings hub. Entered the API Token and API Endpoint and pressed Connect. Nothing happens.

1 Like

Looks like an interesting solution. I see however several recent reviews on the iOS App store reporting it not working along with similar recent comments here.

Where do I find the api endpoint? I have looked all over for it. I can generate an api token here https://account.smartthings.com/tokens but I do not know where to find the api endpoint.

I know where to find the api token at accounts smartthings tokens. But Where would I find the api endpoint?

I followed the smartthings setup from your website. But when I click connect nothing happens.

Hi Albert,

the problem, that some users cannot connect their SmartThings hubs with Switch occurred with version 1.0.13 of the app. We have resolved the issue and submitted a new releasee (1.0.14) which is currently under review by Apple. We expect it to be published today. If you reach out to us through either the Switch website or the app, we can also help you connecting your SmartThings hub before the new app release is published - but again: it should be fixed, today.

Andreas

1 Like

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.