SwannOne Sensors

Let us know how you get on. Thread seems to have lost impetus after some strange unpairing occuring.

Bought some today - currently on special offer at Currys.

Will try to have a play over the w/e, if I can kick this man-flu.

I keep seeing them at £33 for a pair of door sensors and being tempted, but scared off by the reports of unpairing on swannnone stuff. Just resisted buying these again today after thinking through how the returns conversation would go.

I’d be very interested to know how you get on with these, as they seem to be the best value in the UK by a long way currently, and I need some more sensors.

Any luck with these Paul?

I’m interested to hear too. I have some Swann One sensors here that I have been trying to get working, but no matter what device type I use they just will not work. Or they connect but they are stuck on either Open or Closed, but do not function.
Same with the motion sensors, they are just stuck on motion detected. Would love to get these going, save me a fair few $$ on buying new sensors.

That’s not sounding positive for the moment then. Hopefully this could change in the future and it’s not to do with key/ channel swapping. I understand these are supposed to be ZigBee HA 1.2.

I wonder how many years ahead we’d be without all these (possibly intentional?) incompatibility issues.

In the future I will have time to experiment with this stuff, but not currently.

I have 5 of these things all doing the same. Connect and work for a while then just stop sending. Got some door sensors that don’t talk at all. Also got a Swannone POS hub that won’t talk to Hue and will not take the FW upgrade over the web. Hence I now own a ST hub yay.

Got Fibaro 3.2 and Aeon Motion working,
TKB zwave sockets OK.
Swannone Smart Plugs OK.

Finally got over the flu and got round to testing these things. They connect as ‘unknown’, and no obvious reaction when the sensor is open or closed.

Ok, changed the thing type to open/closed sensor and now it’s working.

So I guess I just need to see whether it vanishes after a while… I’ll report back.

OK, I can confirm what others have reported - after a while it just stops working.

The sensor was closed, but when I looked in the app it said Open, and from that point on it wouldn’t respond.

Bum…

Man that sucks!! Thanks for looking into it anyway

Just read this: Disable ZigBee Insecure Rejoin

Wonder whether that will help? I’ll try when I get home and report back.

Not overly optimistic, though.

Made no difference. Sigh!

That’s really disappointing and I hope you are able to return and get your money back. Now with nearly 30 ST sensors around the house I’m a little concerned myself that I’ve bought into zigbee/zwave thinking it is a safe standard that I might be able to move away from Samsung if need be. Seems that zwave is the more flexible but does anyone know if ST zigbee motion and contact sensors work on other systems? Or do we have similar issues?

I’ll hang on to them just in case either a future tweak to the hub firmware or the open/close device handler sorts the problem.

If these devices can talk to the SwannOne hub, they MUST be able to talk to the ST Hub too. And I’m sure I’ve read that other devices have the same issue.

I’m having the same behaviour with the open/close sensor.
I also have a SwannOne Outdoor Siren I could test but that’s not much use to me without the open/close sensors.
It works really well until it disconnects.

It’s difficult to troubleshoot right now because of multiple platform issues, including a known issue with the new scheduler where it treats milliseconds as seconds which can then cause things to timeout. But there are other problems as well.

If the Swann really are ZHA certified, once the platform is stabilised we can start looking at likely causes.

I should also add that I have had more than one company’s customer service department respond to the question “is this device certified for the zigbee home automation profile (ZHA1.2)?” saying yes, when in fact it was only certified for Zigbee. Because they don’t know the difference.

So I now ask for a copy of their certification. You are looking for the
Home logo, not just the Zigbee logo

Updated to add

According to the technical details on their own US site, the pocket socket is ZHA 1.2 certified, but the sensors are not.

That’s not that uncommon–many security systems intentionally add proprietary encoding to their sensors as an added security measure. But it also means the sensors don’t necessarily work with a vanilla ZHA coordinator.

http://www.swannone.com/usa/swannone-advanced-smart-home-control-kit

A Zigbee coordinator can sometimes work with multiple profiles, particularly in proprietary situations, so the swannone Gateway might well be able to work with both the ZHA certified devices and their own proprietary devices.

Obviously, I don’t know for sure. Especially given the current platform instability. But most commonly a zigbee sensor within one hop of the hub that drops off the network repeatedly is using a different profile.

OK, this is strange.

Customer reviews say the SwannOne sensors and fob disconnect from their own gateway frequently and have to be re-paired.

I wonder whether Thursday’s hub update will fix these? I’m not holding my breath, but it would be nice if it did.