[DEPRECATED] Blink Camera Device Handler with Motion Sensor, Live Video Streaming, Integration with SmartThings/SHM, Temperature, Signals and Push Notifications

@lmosenko Not true. All my cameras have it. It’s no longer beta, it’s just taking a while to be completely deployed. Blink said up to a week.

1 Like

Takes time for all your cameras to get the firmware updates all mine including xt have the new features

Seems to work pretty good so far and cuts down on false alarms

So I read online the PIR sensor still triggers, but then the video checks the active vs inactive areas. Probably will hurt battery a bit, but not as much as uploading it to the web as a false motion would do.

Seems like car headlights are still an issue with the new activity zones. My street is marked off but still flagging cars going by. Bummer, was hoping it would solve this.

Might be back to the electrical tape method!

I masked off my street and not 1hour later I received a notification. I had missed a sliver and that seems to be the culprit. I can’t speak for headlights but it has allowed me to better position 2 of my 4 cameras. So far so good.

It became operational on my XT’s yesterday

As others have pointed out, it’s available for all cameras now, just that it takes a little time for the firmware update to propagate to all of them.

From what they told me, the processing of a motion event occurs on the camera after the PIR sensor detects motion, so that should help cut down on battery drain in addition to nuisance notifications.

It’s definitely not 100% effective, as headlights and shadows still seem to cause some issues, even in the zones that are shaded out in the app.

But it’s still a big improvement.

1 Like

It would be nice if they could make the masking zones smaller to allow more precise masking, but this is a big step forward.

My only Blink XT doesn’t have it yet.

That’s always going to be an issue for any ‘zone/line’ crossing camera, without using something like computer vision/AI, it’s always going to trigger on something like that since it’s just looking for change within the zone.

In future I can see cameras powered by something like this (ignore all the peripherals, the important bit is the Pi, the PiCam and the Vision board):

1 Like

Hey guys, sorry to ask this but probably the answer is way back on the thread.
I guess Im so slacker to search.
The point is I’ve just got this Blink 2 cam and I wonder if I can connect it to ST app.
If you can orient me I will appreciate, thanks.

Baritech

Yes / No. This entire thread lays out the story of a terrific integration that was suspended when blink was purchased by Amazon about this time last year.
Now, you can use virtual switches and IFTTT to arm and disarm a camera system ( sync module ). I have two systems. One for inside cameras and one for outside. Again, it’s per sync module not per camera. It is very responsive however.

1 Like

For arming and disarming, IFTTT is ok however for motion alerts, it might takes an hour or so before you get the motion events via IFTTT…

3 Likes

Motion alerts should be coming through the app. IFTTT is just used to arm disarm. I have it set Inside and outside with virtual switches based on presence and works just as it should

1 Like

I’d rather have motion alerts come through based on the conditions that I specify.

For example:
If the door hasn’t been opened for an hour then send motion alerts.

Or

If I am not home

Or

If the garage door is closed

With the Blink App, it’s very limited.

Either way, Blink has an IFTTT Motion Applet that just doesn’t work as it should considering it’s a security device…

Thanks so much for the answer Pt.
So at the end, ST do nothing with Blink. I’ve found the IFTTT thing like an extra app and a little bit noisy.
In that case Alexa works better with blink.
Bottom line, along the time ST is loosing capabilities everyday, that is sad since it was such a nice interface before.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this… I had app stuck too. This worked perfectly for me.

2 Likes

Technically, this (suspended) integration still works (in private). However it was Amazons (Blinks new owner) decision to block the ST servers. Once they decide to get on the ST bandwagon and remove the IP block it’ll work just fine.
In fact it’ll work better IMHO because they invested time and effort to make accommodations for the ST platform to allow to real time push notifications instead of polling (which was killing their resources). In the meanwhile the IFTTT solution seems to be working as a workaround for ST, albeit not in “pure” real time, but better something than nothing. We have whipped up a little app to help automate the IFTTT installation in ST. Will get around to releasing it one of these days.

5 Likes

Just wanted to see if you ever released this app to assist with the setup?