[DEPRECATED] Blink Camera Device Handler with Motion Sensor, Live Video Streaming, Integration with SmartThings/SHM, Temperature, Signals and Push Notifications

The WyzeCam is really well done and works with IFTTT now so I can sort of integrate it into Smartthings.

Very happy with my $25 purchase for the interior of my home where I have power. Still using 3 blinks for outside monitoring where power isn’t an option.

Had I had power available, I would definitely swap the blinks for Wyze Cam + SD card.

I’m thinking of getting a few of these cameras. What are the different controls you have over IFTTT with WyzeCam?

I’m curious if sells have dropped “any” since Blink/Amazon pulled the plug on ST integration…Would be interesting to know. Anyway, Amazon is too big for it to even matter.

Wonder if amazon will sell the new cameras too? Wouldnt be a smart choice but they sell other cameras so maybe.

I see Amazon sells this to weatherproof the WyzeCam indoor camera:

If anyone is interested I have a huge savings on these #blink cameras. I posted here Smart Devices For Sale - Filtrete Thermostat and Blink Cameras but didn’t get anyone who was truly interested. They are just sitting in a box now and aren’t being used.

Willing to separate?

Outdoor use? Now were talking! Whos going to be the guinea pig here and test one for us? :grin:

Sure what you thinking?

Really i could use only 1XT but maybe two if the price is right.

Let me know your price if you do decide to part.

4 Likes

@Imosenko looks like your using usb power? Can you tell what you use and how long of a run can you have? Thanks

USB cables I believe are generally on a 12" rule. The signal will get weaker the longer the cable gets.
I use these for the power.

I don’t know about that, but I do know that Blink has had several good sales including one insane one a couple months ago. I ended up buying more simply because they’re cheap and as the old saying goes: “Quantity has a quality all its own.” I have to think they’re not selling well so these sales are trying to push more cameras out the door.

Do I miss RBoy’s integration? Yes. Does Blink’s IFTTT implementation meet my needs? Barely. There were many things I had planned to implement using RBoy’s software that aren’t possible with Blink’s poor IFTTT implementation.

The more interesting question in my mind is how long Blink is going to survive. When Amazon bought Blink, most of us assumed the cost for Ring was too much and Amazon intended to build Blink up to compete with Ring and Nest. However, when Amazon then purchased Ring weeks later, it really cast doubt on Blink’s future IMO and you can see that so far, Amazon’s deeper pockets haven’t seemed to help Blink that much:

1. The Blink doorbell is months beyond its targeted release date but Blink continues to insist that it will be released “soon.”
  2. The Blink security system is MIA.
  3. Blink still has not given us many capabilities which were promised on release - local video storage being the big one.
  4. If you look at the Blink community, all the Blink employees seem to do is continually take surveys and ask what we want to see. I was so mad at the last one that I asked them point blank: “You’ve had our suggestions for months and in some cases years and haven’t done anything with them. Why do you keep wasting our time with more of these fluff questions and surveys?”

The only new thing that I’m aware of is integration with Echo Spot and Show so you can see video on them. While an OK feature, who really cares?

2 Likes

I believe Blink was sold for in the range of $100M where as Ring went for in the range of $1B
Sounds like a good negotiation tactic or maybe leveraging Blink’s low power/long range technology.

1 Like

Any word if the API might be reopened or a new API for 3rd party integration is coming anytime soon ??

How long can you hold your breath?.. :slight_smile: If it did happen I doubt it would be anytime soon or even this year. I have no information that it will or will not happen in the future.

4 Likes

Soon? Doubt it. Sometime in the future? Anything is possible.

1 Like

2 Likes

@lmosenko Just curious… how do you have the usb wired into the power source?

Also I see you have one those solar-powered lights on your wall… I’ve seen those on Amazon, how is it?

1 Like