[SURVEY] Vote for Your Favorite Z-Wave/Zigbee Motion Detectors / Sensors

No it’s doing it on Chrome on desktop as well. :-/

I am not seeing that with ecolink. I luv them because I have only had 1 false alarm and that was when batteries were low below 40%.
I have 9 of them installed and only have had to change the batteries in that one in 4.5 months.

in comparisions I also have the aeon ver 5 and ver 6
the ver 5 eats batteries a set every 1-1.5 months
the ver 6 is crappy with uv and light sensitivity and the api settings for how often to wake up don’t seem to work well. The settings to wake on temp changes etc do.

I have quick response to motion, ,within 3-5 secs… but I leave the jumper in the default non test mode setting. otherwise you will go through batteries much faster and the reset time after sensing motion is 3-4 minutes before resetting.
This is by design so once there is motion it doesn’t have to keep polling constantly.

(it would be nice if that is seteable but it is not)

The biggest thing I like is that I have not had false alarms due to my pets…

1 Like

Yup, 3 to 5 seconds is an eternity if you want your hallway lights to come on with motion, you walked away already before the lights ever come on. I’ve had mine on test for a year and haven’t changed batteries in any of them yet. False alarms increase if left on test, based on my experience (I had them come on when HVAC vent blows air)…

Yes, the test mode is 5 seconds the other modes are 4 or 5 minutes. And if I remember correctly, I’ve also had problems canceling the 4 min if motion started again. That may have been a platform issue, on both Wink and ST, so things may have improved in the past year or so…

I,m not convinced that is the sensor versus the normal smartthings lag time… are seeing really faster response with your other sensors… I don’t see any faster with the aeon sensors if anything the same or slower with the ver 6.
Also I think the range of them may be the limiting factor it seems only to go out about 30 feet.

I had to put ST motion sensors in any high traffic areas like hallways. Those are super fast. I don’t know if it’s a zigbee vs. z-wave thing. My fibaro are not really any faster than my aeons gen5 but again, I don’t have them in places where you expect lights to come on as you walk in.

speaking of lights going on when you walk in… I had a strange failure yesterday… everything with lamps coming on at sunset -30 and turning off and sunrise (like my nightlight) worked fine.
But only one of my doors set to turn on hall and outside lights when we open it to let the dogs at and sunset - sunrise
was turning on the lights in the middle of the day. The other slider door was not.

The hub knew the correct sunrise and sunset times as I can see the notice in the logs.
I am not at all sure what the hell was going on… As this is the first time it happened… Working fine today.
You have any ideas? I did file a bug report but I don’t hold high hopes they will do anyting… I think all but one of my by now 30 bug reports has been resolved myself by removing and re-adding smartlighting rules or routines.

Thanks… will try an st one in the upstairs hallway (on the way to the bathroom), as that is the only one I really need fast time. Walking in the family room or the dining room the 3-5 secs is fine, as you are not just walking by but doing something.
The only issue is the pets, if they go upstairs while we are out we would get false alarms, but I guess I can exclude this sensor from the alarm monitoring as they would have to climb up 2-3 stories and go in a window to get in the upstairs without going through the downstairs and triggering one of the other sensors. Not likely.

yup, basically all of my z-wave sensors are behind doors, all of my zigbee are for open spaces and excluded from security purposes because my cat is tripping them.

I see two different smartthings motion sensors on amazon, which are the ones you use?

I am using the older version (the eye is in the middle). But wouldn’t expect any less efficiency from the new model (eye on the upper corner).

1 Like

I have a mix of old and new SmartThings zigbee ones, PIR Pet Immune zwavers, and one Aeon multi-5. I click the PIR since I have the most of them, but they all mostly work. Mostly.

1 Like

how is your multi 5 on batteries ? Is it killing them quickly like mine is… I may hook up the usb. I have mine in the basement because it is a nice multi purpose device with the temp and the lux option as well, so I can tell if the lights are left on etc, or it is too cold in the basement all with the one device… At least it is aaa batteries which are not too expensive…

[quote=“Lgkahn, post:35, topic:37883”]
how is your multi 5 on batteries ? Is it killing them quickly like mine is… I may hook up the usb.
[/quote]Mine’s on USB power, sitting on my desk, so they’re infinite. Need to figure out how to power it when I put it outside for motion/light control. It’s going on a garage wall, so I expect I will keep it powered off USB and just drag an extension cord or some other hideous hack :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes

Hey @joshuairl , this is an awesome idea for comparing brands. Since you started it. You should make this voting for different devices as well. Very useful idea for ST.

2 Likes

Should we consider the PEQ’s the same as Smartthings?

1 Like

My 4 or 5 1st Gen ST sensors generate about 1 or 2 false positives a month, which is very tedious from a security perspective.

I had an Aeotec sensor which generated so many false positives that I pulled it down. It’s now sitting on my workbench.

I just recently installed an Ecolink. They are of of the most affordable out there. No false positives for a week but it is only switches back to “no motion” after 4 minutes, which may be too long for a high-traffic area.

I also have one Fibaro. It’s never ever once given me a false positive, has a fast reaction time, and a cool form factor. It’s got a shorter range of vision, however, and it costs twice as much as the Ecolink.

Not sure why we get so many false positives. Either there are a lot of quality issues in this market, or we’re haunted by infrared-reactive ghosts.

1 Like

Depending where you have them isntalled, the sensor could be triggered by the HVAC. I’ve had this problem with Ecolimk and Smartsense. Not so much with fibaro.

Sun and clouds also caused false positives.

So it definitely so far seems fairly inconclusive…
However, there seems to be a popularity with Fibaro sensors but unsure I’m liking the price tag or their appearance for that matter.

Ideally I’d love a 360 degree sensor but not really sure that is necessary.

My main goal I think is to detect occupancy (or more or less the lack of occupancy) to know when it is okay to turn the lights off. Will any of these work for those purposes? Are there any edge cases where someone would be suddenly in the dark and trip and hurt themselves?

In my head, I can’t think of a time, even with the 4 minute thing that it would happen if I give a delay of say 10 minutes of inactivity…?

I have 3 (Aeon, ST and Fibaro) and Fibaro is by far the best. Haven’t had ONE issue in 8 months. Small form factor, easy to mount and remove, worth the extra $20 IMO.

1 Like