[Support WITHDRAWN] GCal-Search: Google Calendar Event contact sensor/switch

Connect a Raspberry Pi and a bit of programming and we can use that as our timer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, that is one idea I had. I have a mostly idle linux system I was thinking of setting a cron job on to call an oauth method in a smartapp every 5-10 minutes to keep things going. Why should I have to do this though? This is something built into the system.

I’d be happy to give the repo over to you if you wanted. I just don’t want to spend my time on something I won’t be using.

I just harvested the icons and posted them within Bruce’s withdrawal message. I am not really interested in getting into the support business for yet another app (I do enough with the two I do support), but will continue to try to improve this app as I really believe it has considerable merit.

Let me know if the Cron works well for you
I may actually take Mike up on his offer and continue development of this app as I like it.

1 Like

@MichaelS Since you were on there as a maintainer you should have the latest set of changes I did. I did a little cleanup in addition to changing it to runEvery
() so it’d probably be a better point for changing to cron if you wanted to try that

Actually to make it easier for everyone I just opened the project back up for everyone

3 Likes

4/11 was your last update?

I pushed stuff into git today

1 Like

So far the hybrid unschedule and re-schedule cron thing is still ticking. (that’s the only code I had at the time) Are one of you guys running the 15minute non-looped thing? If so is it staying stable?

–Keith

I used Mike’s new code and didn’t try the cron yet
maybe this every15Min thing will work
I will check it in the morning as it hasn’t run for more than 24 hours to date.

1 Like

Still ticking this morning. :wink:

The redesign Mike did also seems to be working as well

1 Like

That’s totally awesome! Since he put the code back and its working
perhaps the withdrawn should change to “NOT withdrawn” in the title :wink:

Only if he wants to continue supporting it
:slight_smile:

Either way, I enjoy this app
it replaces an IFTTT routine that I previously had, so that is good

Yea
I understand. Thing is a lot of folks are associating “withdrawn” as code withdrawn, not just support withdrawn. :wink:

How about:
[Support WITHDRAWN] GCAL-Search: Google Calendar Event Contact Sensor/switch - Use at your Own Risk

?

Ok, made that change.

1 Like

Just to be clear, are you still going to be updating the code or publishing branches submitted to you? I think you and @N8XD are on the right track with the polling now, but now think giving the user the option to determine the polling method would be best. In my use case I only need this to repoll once at day at most, which others may need a shorter poll
I was thinking of integrating that back in and was curious if you will still be open to ‘owning’ this code going forward.

I’d prefer not too but until someone wants to take over I will.

The idea of polling multiple times a day is to avoid the token expiring. By continually using it the system is able to keep it refreshed and avoid an issue that it might expire. It is built to automatically refresh the token so that shouldn’t happen but the extra calls really shouldn’t be an issue since it’s on the ST cloud and you get hundreds of thousands of API calls from Google before they complain.

Honestly I’m not sure where I’m going, I’m having a bit of frustration with determining which other project to move to since I did get the approval of the ‘boss’ last night to buy new gear. But I’ll have to re-invent a lot of things I’ve been using ST for. Possibly I’ll just setup an external cronjob to fire off poll/refresh on various SmartApps to kind of bandaid the issues I have. Really annoyed my morning routine refuses to work even after hitting a button though. Not sure how to fix that. It’s like my Z-Wave network just decides to not forward things, or the ST hub isn’t sending them out like it says it is. Rebooting the hub fixes it sometimes. Ugh!

Since @N8XD has been actively working on this, perhaps he would be willing to take you up on your offer?