Suggest a Device

How about more universally available things and cameras? Especially for Canadians, go into any Best Buy or similar and next to nothing on the shelf works with Smartthings, unless you include Nest (which is still a damn hack)

1 Like

Any chance that we will get Smartthings device and smart app support for the Lennox iComfort WiFi thermostat? I know others have mentioned it before but donā€™t recall seeing any updates.

Thanks

I would love to have a zwave device that sends my garage door a open / close signal, much like my garage door remote openers do, rather than having to wire it to the existing garage door.

Perhaps something that sends the open close signal to the receiver on the garage door motor, that would be identical to the one that is sent by the little remote I keep in my car.

A plug into the wall style of zwave open/close sensor would be great for the garage doors, as batteries die quickly in the freezing vermont winter conditions.

1 Like

Power Loss Sensor

I have a GFCI outlet that Iā€™d like to have monitored. When it trips off Iā€™d like to know it. I found a suggestion in here to use the smartthings motion sensor powered by usb and when it changes power state to battery backup that is your triggerā€¦ But, unfortunately, that was only the old/original model of motion sensor. The new ones donā€™t seem to have a USB port. I thought that the Aeon MultiSensor would do it - it has a USB port but you canā€™t plug in a cable to power it AND have the batteries in place - so that option is out. It seems Aeon Siren has a built-in battery backup but I donā€™t see any events notifying you of a power source change - it seems it is a pretty locked down device.

I guess I never imagined that this would be so hard to find. Any ideas?
Thanks!

1 Like

mount a door close sensor by the outlet. they have an actuator that is sensitive when the GFI trips it is a hard trip that will set off the motion sensor in the door closer.

So just the sensor part, not the magnet (other half)? It would normally be open but when the circuit pops it would send out a pulse and momentarily close the door? Or are you thinking some sort of vibration detection (I think Iā€™ve seen something like that with the door knocker smartapp)?

I never would have thought of this style of approach - thanks a lot!

Isnā€™t it ā€œGFCIā€? ā€œGFIā€ is, perhaps, a regional term? Or maybe ā€œGFCIā€ is? Just curious.

jsut the sensor it as an accelerometer in it. If you have a SmartSense one on a door look in its Device handler screen and you will notice some numbers to the right. move the door and it will change very sensitive. Mine changes with a slight breeze from the HVAC when it kicks in. You can use that change when the GFI trips to send you a message

I must have a different one. When it installed it used the SmartSense Open/Close sensor device type. I tried changing the device type to the other choices (to see if it was the wrong handler) but that didnā€™t add any extra data, unfortunately. I think it must be a different/older model.
Data
endpointId: 01
manufacturer: CentraLite
model: 3300-S
Raw Description 01 0104 0402 00 07 0000 0001 0003 0402 0500 0020 0B05 01 0019
Current States
temperature: 67
battery: 66

This is solved with a linear garage door control unit + a linear auxiliary switch.

model: 3321-S is the one called the Multipurpose Sensor and it seems to have the extra abilities you were referring to - went on a Best Buy run. However, it doesnā€™t seem very sensitive to me. If I have it sitting on a surface (glass coffee table or laptop area by keyboard I can pound on the surface fairly hard without having it notice anything. Also, it seems extremely slow/unreliable to report the magnet moving in and out of position.

I swear it wasnā€™t showing up on live logging even though I could see the status changing in the app, tooā€¦ Perhaps there is some system level issues delaying response - Iā€™ll try again later.

This is one of those ā€œtheory and practiceā€ situations.

In theory, a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) is like a circuit breaker for the entire circuit, and tripping it would protect other devices along the same circuit. While again, in theory, the GFI (ground fault interrupter) would only cut the power to the one device that was plugged into that receptacle.

In practice, though, most electricians will tell you the two terms mean the same thing, and you can find a device which is clearly a GFCI device labeled GFI by the manufacturer. (Although not usually the other way around.)

I believe current NEC code just uses GFCI. But you do see a lot of state laws and local housing codes written ā€œGFCI/GFI.ā€ Which is probably why so many electricianā€™s references say theyā€™re the same thing.

Theyā€™re not, quite, but both serve the same purpose ā€“ ā€“ to keep a person from being electrocuted. :sunglasses:

Thanks!! It did seem odd. I could only find GFCI outlets at places like Home Depot, etc.

Thanks for the background!

I am one of many people who own an Emerson Sensi smart Thermostat. Could you please get smartthings integration going on this?

1 Like

Any experience with ikettle 2.0.
Looks quite neat.

A

Iā€™d like to see support for some more heating items:

Z-Wave Eurotronic Comet Heating Thermostat http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-eurotronic-comet-heating-thermostat
Z-Wave Eurotronic StellaZ Radiator Thermostat http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-stellaz-radiator-thermostat
Z-Wave Heatit Thermostat http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-heatit-thermostat-white
Z-Wave Secure SRT323 Room Thermostat http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-secure-srt323-room-thermostat-with-lcd-display

I realise that some of these work with community device handlers, but support seems mostly incomplete or hacky.

Cheers,
Chris.

they may work just fine with the standard ZWave thermostat device handler

I would like to see LG Music Flow speakers added - they work like sonos and HH Greg had them on sale for $50-$120 per speakerā€¦ cleaned out the local stores who only had 1-2 of each model.

Chamberlin Garage door opener would be a nice to have as well, though Iā€™ve read some of the work around thingsā€¦

Ring doorbell

And Schlage connect locks

we have those already.

The locks can only locked and unlocked. A
Why canā€™t I set up codes and alarm settings. Set temp codes or schedules. Thatā€™s what I would like to see.

I can not find the Ring doorbell as a device to add