Suggest a Device

I would love to see the Smarter Kettle - the iKettle.
After seeing the kitchen demo where he opens the cupboard for a mug, and the sensor switches the kettle on.
The device pairs on my local wifi network so is this a possibility??

Thanks!

Itā€™s likely possible if thereā€™s an open API, but Iā€™m not sure itā€™s practical.

If just opening the cupboard turns on the kettle, how do you put dishes away after you wash them without turning on the kettle?

But ā€œyour use case is not my use case,ā€ if you like the way it works, you can probably do it if you can get cloud to cloud integration.

Has anyone seen this? Lower your ac cost and tax deeuctible so gov pays for part of the cost http://www.mistbox.com

thanks for your input friend.
I agree with your issues, but would still like it. I could set a delay for 30 minutes on the door, or maybe switch the ā€˜homeā€™ to ā€˜brewingā€™, so if the door opens again, it resets to home. In other words, if I want another mug after ā€˜brewingā€™ , I simply have to open the door, close, then open againā€¦

any thoughts?

cheers,
kev.

hue is great, but not for main lightsā€¦ its too damn expensive. I have two blooms on either side of the tv, to add music or movie ambience. The main lights I havenā€™t done yet, but I hear GE bulbs are cheap and cheerful.

1 Like

The thing is, the brewing step likely takes about 10 minutes. I could more see myself using it the way one reviewer does: Iā€™m watching television or at my desk, tell the kettle to start brewing, it notifies me when the waterā€™s hot, then I go in the kitchen. But everybodyā€™s different.

The I kettle is one of those devices where I really like the features and the engineering, I just personally canā€™t justify the $300 cost. But I can certainly see people who would love it. (Iā€™m also pretty sure it would be too heavy for me, but
Iā€™m an edge case.)

Anyway, yeah, write them and see if they have an open API, this would be a cool ST integration. :sunglasses:

weā€™re loving it already. in the uk its 99 pounds, but to be able to wake up with it activated, then set an optional 20mins keep warm. its nice to get downstairs to a ready boiled kettle.

$300 does seem excessive stateside, but it notifies both/ either morning alarm or entry into the house (via wifi).

control over the ittw and audio is the icing on the cake.

What does this have to do with SmartThings? Or are you simply marketing this item?

1 Like

I would like to suggest a few integrations. For Video Surveillance, I would like to integrate my Dahua IP Cameras and NVR. They support HTTP, RTSP, and have an API and SDK.

For Audio, I would suggest DENON AVRs. I have an AVR-3808CI and AVR-4306CI. Both have ethernet and RS232C.

Thanks. I LOVE my ST.

Any news on this front @Ben ? My Arlo cameras rocks and some integration with ST would basically make my home automation/security complete.

1 Like

Iā€™d also be interested in Arlo. At the very least changing modes. I donā€™t need to interact with the saved videos. I think interfering with their paid services is wrong on some level in the very back of my mind.

A better tie in with the nest thermostat as a presence sensor and ability to set home/away. A custom app exists, but you canā€™t interact with it programmaticly. It also has to be manually refreshed for ST to notice you are in away mode. I think this is less of a short in the custom app in Nest, and more so in the polling of ST with cloud services.

Iā€™ve been wrong before thoughā€¦

A 220v outlet I can use for my dryer. In-wall or as a plug like the smart outlet now.

2 Likes

Now Wink has offical support, http://blog.wink.com/wink-blog/2015/7/7/winkamazon-echo-just-ask-to-control-smart-products-around-your-home come on Smartthings.

I would like to see support for AirPatrol, which is a wifi/wireless controller for most air conditioners or air-to-air heat pumps.

It would make it a very attractive solution for me. :smile:

Frigidaire has a new 8,000 BTU window air conditioner with WiFi control, retails for under $300, supposed to be much quieter than Quirky Aros. Called CoolConnect. Excellent EnergyStar rating. NYC has added it to its CoolNYC program. I didnā€™t see an open API. Iā€™d really like to see ST integration for this, it has a good cost/benefit ratio for a room a/c.

4 Likes

Lutron caseta devices and switches.

I have a dozen or so caseta dimmers and switches they work great and the only thing keeping me from jumping ship from the staples connect hub to Smartthings is the lutron support on smartthingsā€¦ please add lutron to your supported devices list and I will buy it on day 1.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to see a security keypad. Something like the IRIS Smart Keypad:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_388562-41166-KDP901_0__

It looks like this particular device is Zigbee based.

Thanks!

3 Likes

I love LIFX lights, they donā€™t have a hub. The ones that can change 16 million colors are $99 each and the ones that can change many shades of white are $39 each.

JDR - This seems to be exactly what Iā€™m looking for in the way of a stupid-simple to wire in sensor accessory for existing low voltage AC doorbells. Too bad I canā€™t find it actually available to buy yet:

1 Like