Starting Over? Need alarm integration

Hello, all.

For security purposes, I am using a throwaway account.

I am looking to possibly re-do my system and am looking for guidance. My ultimate goal is to streamline as many things as possible and not have to have apps for various things.

I am also looking to integrate my home alarm system into the system so that I can lock/unlock doors when arming/disarming the alarm. I am open to changing the alarm system as well.

I currently have a Honeywell Vista 15P with dumb keypads. I know I will need to change the keypad regardless and am leaning towards the GC3.

I currenlty have the following smart devices in my house:

• SmartThings Hub v2
• Amazon Echo
• Chamberlain MyQ Garage Door
• GE Link Bulbs
• Z-WAVE UNIVERSAL DIMMER, DZMX1-1LZ
• Z-WAVE SCENE CAPABLE SWITCH, DZS15-1BZ
• Multiple Sonos Play 1 (adding Play Bar this weekend)
• Harmony Hub
• Schlage BE-469
• Philips Hue Strips
• GoControl Z-WAVE contact sensors
• GoControl Z-WAVE motion sensors
• GoControl Z-WAVE siren

Ideally, what I envision is pulling up to my driveway and my garage opening automatically because it detected my phone. I’d like the Sonos to announce that the garage door is open and that I am home. I’d like the Sonos to announce when ANY door that is equipped with a sensor opens.

Misc
• I’d like to be able to tell Alexa to play music on my Sonos (this can be from my Sonos favorites).
• I’d like to be able to tell Alexa to change the channel to ESPN, Root Sports, etc.
• When I leave, and arm the alarm, I’d like to have all my doors locked and have music start playing on the Sonos (pre-set Pandora station is fine).
• I will be adding thermostats at some point too so I would also like to be able to set the temperature when I leave/arm the alarm, if nobody else is home.
• I’d like to have tablet control stations throughout the house to rely less on a phone

I think that pretty much sums it up. For brainstorming purposes, consider yourself to have a, within reason, blank check. I am open to changing any components that I need to in order to accomplish the most usability and automation that is possible.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!

Ambitious! :sunglasses:

First question:

Is it just you in the House, or are there other people who live there, too?

Do you have regular or frequent visitors? If so, how much do they need interact with the house automation system? Do they stay overnight? Do they need to be Able to let themselves in? Should they be able to pick the music they want to hear? Are any of them under 12 years old?

Also, if you’re not in the US, we’ll need to know what country you’re in.

Next question, and I’m serious with this one, if you have a blank check why don’t you just get a control 4 system? Typical cost for these is 10% of the cost of the house, but you get absolutely everything you want. Security is integrated with audiovisual which is integrated with HVAC etc.

So I’m assuming maybe that blank check isn’t quite so blank. :wink: In which case, it would help if you come up with a budget per room. Just as an example, for my own planning my budget is about $400 per room. Now that is not a high budget in any sense. That’s basic lighting, change the channels on the television, a thermostat if I wanted one, smart lock on the door… It’s not do everything in every room. Note that that $400 is only the cost of new devices needed for automation. So I wouldn’t have to include the cost of Sonos speakers if I already owned those, but I don’t have a tablet control center in every room, either, because I might want to spend that money on something else. (Instead I have one tablet control center on each side of the house for a total of two.)

And another question: how serious do you have to be about security. Because if you have SmartThings now you probably know it’s a very versatile system, but it’s not super reliable. As I’ve said another thread, since last November I have yet to go 10 days without an impactful smart things failure. So I run a completely separate security system which gives me professional monitoring that can call the fire department.

(I myself am quadriparetic and use a wheelchair, so fire safety is a big deal for me. )

You can get a decent monitored security system for around $50 a month. And a nice one for regular suburban neighborhood around $70. Like everybody else, I feel that I pay a little too much to the security system company relative to the value I receive, but on the other hand it has been incredibly reliable, only two false alarms in the last 10 years or so, and now that I’ve spent the last two years working with inexpensive home automation systems, I’m starting to feel maybe you do get what you pay for. When smart things works well it’s absolutely my favorite home automation system. I love the way they handle sensors and notifications. But I’d never risk my life on it working 24/7. I do use it for things like getting a notification when the guest bedroom window was left open and rain is expected.

So just throwing that out there as well.

That should be enough to start with. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Oh, hey, good news regarding Sonos: just today they announced an official integration project with Alexa where they expect to have a native integration out in 2017. So that’s going to handle some of what you asked for with Sonos. :sunglasses:

As far as tablet control, you can’t beat the very popular smarttiles. This is a customizable third-party dashboard app that will run in just about any browser.

www.smarttiles.click

There’s a thread in the forum where people discuss various hardware in mounting options they’ve used with it.

2 Likes

I find it comical that you felt the need to create a throwaway account and then yet notify everyone that this is in fact a throwaway account. If you have a blank check, then get something that is integrated with all the same stuff. Although for the most part, ST works pretty well, it’s still only slightly better than beta sometimes. Other more established systems are going to be expensive, will probably work better and you won’t have to create a throwaway account. Although you will probably have to create your real account with the other company and forum and then another throwaway account.

1 Like

For alarm integration check out the alarmdecoder https://www.alarmdecoder.com

1 Like

throwaway reply here

3 Likes

If you’re serious about security than get a professionally installed system, ST is not it.

But if you want the versatility of ST, integrate the system into ST yourself. There are several skilled developers here that have done just that.

Just FYI, the alarmdecoder does not interfere or prevent having your alarm monitored… it is just a way to interface with your existing alarm, and in this sense to tie to automation - like alarm gets armed, turn on some light type scenario

Thanks for taking the time to write out such a detailed post. Sorry for the delay in getting back to the thread.

[quote=“JDRoberts, post:2, topic:56130, full:true”]
Ambitious! :sunglasses:

First question:

Is it just you in the House, or are there other people who live there, too?[/quote] My wife, myself, and our dog.

[quote] Do you have regular or frequent visitors? If so, how much do they need interact with the house automation system? Do they stay overnight? Do they need to be Able to let themselves in? Should they be able to pick the music they want to hear? Are any of them under 12 years old? [/quote]Maybe once a quarter my mother-in-law or my mom will come visit, but neither of which will be inclined to do anything with my system. I have a Chromecast in the guest-room in case either of them wants to use that, but they never have.

[quote]Also, if you’re not in the US, we’ll need to know what country you’re in.[/quote]. Best country in the world: Texas :-p

[quote]Next question, and I’m serious with this one, if you have a blank check why don’t you just get a control 4 system? Typical cost for these is 10% of the cost of the house, but you get absolutely everything you want. Security is integrated with audiovisual which is integrated with HVAC etc.[/quote]The blank check comment was more of a way to indicate that I don’t want to be limited by the options people would have suggested. I want to hear all possibilities and then I can look at the ROI for me and decide what to get. :slight_smile:

[quote]So I’m assuming maybe that blank check isn’t quite so blank. :wink: In which case, it would help if you come up with a budget per room. Just as an example, for my own planning my budget is about $400 per room. Now that is not a high budget in any sense. That’s basic lighting, change the channels on the television, a thermostat if I wanted one, smart lock on the door… It’s not do everything in every room. Note that that $400 is only the cost of new devices needed for automation. So I wouldn’t have to include the cost of Sonos speakers if I already owned those, but I don’t have a tablet control center in every room, either, because I might want to spend that money on something else. (Instead I have one tablet control center on each side of the house for a total of two.)[/quote]See comment above :slight_smile: I have plenty of tablets and phones that can be re-purposed for the control centers. Otherwise, this would get expensive really quick! The only thing I may have to add is Sonos in the guest room and thermostats.

[quote]And another question: how serious do you have to be about security. Because if you have SmartThings now you probably know it’s a very versatile system, but it’s not super reliable. As I’ve said another thread, since last November I have yet to go 10 days without an impactful smart things failure. So I run a completely separate security system which gives me professional monitoring that can call the fire department.[/quote]I plan on having the alarm monitored by a third-party company, I’d just like to be able to arm/disarm it via SmartThings and have ST run various tasks based on arming/disarming of the system.

1 Like

I read about this the other day. Now the question is, do I just wait or try to and build something out myself. :smirk:

1 Like

I’ve played with this in the past, thanks for suggesting it though!

1 Like

When talking about my home security system, I’d rather not post using the same username I use on everything else and possibly create a link back to myself. I guess I’m just a bit paranoid like that.

1 Like

Thanks, ordering today!

I plan on having the system monitored by a third-party. I just want to be able to integrate into it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think your tinfoil hat might be on a little too tight.