SmartThings Community

Starting from zero - SmartThings and Fibaro RGBW

You mean like this?

Gif removed on account of safety precautions.

(Robin) #62

More like this:

Do not click if you suffer from seizures - https://gph.is/2iJKfuJ

It’s a party for another success story!

(Robin) #64

Though yours is actually really dangerous (much faster than mine), you should take that down really.

(I’m a safety manager in the real world)

(Migt moggy) #65

Best thing I’ve seen all day

I did. Makes it tough to go back and forth through posts anyway pineapple guy.

(Robin) #67

No more pineapple discussions!!!

I thought the power coming on with your own lights would have been the best thing. Hehe

They are still going through that thread and saying wtf?!?!

Probably still trying to figure out the other topic we hijacked with Billy Bass and the Wicked witch as well.

And yet you still allowed for the police strobes in your own home, now tenants. You’re fired! :joy:

Just FYI, don’t leave them switched on for long while still coiled up on the spool. They heat up fast that way and that can shorten the life of the LEDs.

Congrats on getting to this point.

Now you can play with this custom handler if you wish …

(Migt moggy) #72

Thanks

bodged the box to get the adapter inside. Much neater now

(Migt moggy) #73

Hi @RobinWinbourne quick question- would it be possible to connect a standard, mains powered lamp (which uses a b22 bulb) to the same fibaro too?

(Robin) #74

Not directly… the RGBW module runs on 12/24v so it wouldn’t be able to power a mains bulb.

You could however use a dumb relay, with the relay coil wired across one the 4 Fibaro output terminals and the 12v terminal. You would then wire mains power through the switched side of the dumb relay and connect your mains lamp.

Connect mains power directly to the Fibaro and it will go BANG!

(Migt moggy) #75

Thank Robin, I suspected it might be. Your first and last paras make total sense to me.

The middle one, less so…

Would you be able to explain in laymans terms what i need to do (and what kind of ‘dumb relay’ would do the trick)

(Robin) #76

Relay would be something like this:

http://r.ebay.com/otcrg5

Wired like this:

Relay separates the Fibaro from the mains voltage.

Example shows the use of just the ‘red’ output terminal, but you could have 4 relays and 4 lamps controlled independently from each other, when using R, G, B & W terminals separately.

(Migt moggy) #77

Ok cool. So, i would be using the same fibaro that i connected up to the rgbw strip the other day. So , if i get that terminal, I’d cut the mains plug off the lamp, strip the end, connect one core wire (not sure which colour? green?) to … nope I dont know. I guess these diagrams will mean more to me the more i do.

(Alwas) #78

You need an electrician is my guess.

(Robin) #79

For a table lamp you’d be better using one of these:

If you’re planning to switch multiple bulbs independently then an RGBW is good as per my diagram above.

But you really don’t want to try and run and RGBW strip on the same module as a lamp via a relay… you’d only be able to turn on the lamp at the same time as the strip and the dumb relay won’t like the different dimming levels.

Otherwise there is the Fibaro Dimmer, switch and relay modules which are intended for mains voltage.

(Migt moggy) #80

Thanks so much Robin.

I was really just trying to see if i could get my moneys worth out of my fibaro rgbw module (which you helped me connect up to my LED strip) by getting it to also control my dumb, mains powered lamp which sits in the same part of the room.

I thought that the Fibaro would enable me to turn the lamp on and off independantly of the LED strip but it sounds like that isnt viable as the relay would only allow me to power one or other appropriately at any given time.