Starting from zero - SmartThings and Fibaro RGBW

Thanks

bodged the box to get the adapter inside. Much neater now

2 Likes

Hi @anon36505037 quick question- would it be possible to connect a standard, mains powered lamp (which uses a b22 bulb) to the same fibaro too?

Thank Robin, I suspected it might be. Your first and last paras make total sense to me.

The middle one, less so

Would you be able to explain in laymans terms what i need to do (and what kind of ‘dumb relay’ would do the trick)

Ok cool. So, i would be using the same fibaro that i connected up to the rgbw strip the other day. So , if i get that terminal, I’d cut the mains plug off the lamp, strip the end, connect one core wire (not sure which colour? green?) to 
 nope I dont know. I guess these diagrams will mean more to me the more i do.

Thanks so much Robin.

I was really just trying to see if i could get my moneys worth out of my fibaro rgbw module (which you helped me connect up to my LED strip) by getting it to also control my dumb, mains powered lamp which sits in the same part of the room.

I thought that the Fibaro would enable me to turn the lamp on and off independantly of the LED strip but it sounds like that isnt viable as the relay would only allow me to power one or other appropriately at any given time.

Hey guys,
Im hoping someone can help me here:

Ive tried wiring up some LED’s to use in a cupboard, but im getting no joy getting these things to turn on

Ive taken a 12v adapter and cut the end of to expose the wire:
Put the red to the 12v on the Fibaro RBGW
Put the black to the GND on the Fibaro RBGW

At this point I paired the Fibaro RGBW to Smartthings. Paired first time no problem. I left the handler as the default. Unplugged the unit and started wiring the RGBW LED to the unit.

Ive then take the LED and stripped the connectors off to expose the wire
Red from LED to R on Fibaro RGBW
Green from LED to G on Fibaro RGBW
Blue from LED to B on Fibaro RGBW
White from LED to W on Fibaro RGBW

Plugged the unit in, but no lights come on. Ive looked in Live logging and it shows that smartthings is sending the commands, but nothing happens. Ive tried changing the handler to Codersaurs and still nothing. Using Codersaurs I cant even get it to register as going on
 it just says “Turning on” and it never actually goes to “ON”

Ive tried plugging either end of the RGBW strip in and both give the same result.

Heres a pic of the wiring:
RGBW%20Wiring

Any ideas?
@anon36505037 @zcapr17

How many cores do you have on your strip if it is only 4 you only have RGB so the white needs too go to ground

1 Like

@borristhecat thanks, Ive tried moving white to gnd (bridged with the black from the 12v adapter.

No luck im afraid

Power reporting is constantly saying 0w. Should it be that? I have a horrible feeling the Fibaro unit is dead.
I manged to pair it, but when I try exclude it, it cant be found

@anon36505037 as always you are a scholar, worked perfectly!

Yes your right it’s the - that’s switched rather than the positive (which is just odd).

Hi Robin,

I just picked up the Fibaro and have got it all wired and working. The ‘official’ DH published by Fibaro doesn’t work for me for some reason, so I’m using the beta version from twack.

Curious if you’re still using the Fibaro and have any thoughts on which DH is “best” to use. I have all my automations running through webcore but it doesn’t seem to support things like ‘fade to level’; merely changing levels and colors.

Hijacking this thread a little as I’m also trying to use the RGBW with a wall switch to control on / off.

My sparky has wired it as attached with the GND of the RGBW wired into the GND of the transformer AND all four R G B W outputs.

The switch works to turn it on but it’s just white. When I add the codesaur DTH it pairs with the device just fine, it just won’t let me control anything via the ST app.

Am I right in thinking I need to take the GND out of the RGBW outputs and run a single one to the IN1 (as well as GND)? This will offer just on / off at the wall and white only?

Thanks,

Ben

I think you have a wiring issue. It appears for some reason you have Ground going into each of R,G,B,W inputs???

Yeah not sure he followed the instructions
!

So I think I am right in that the GND needs to be removed from the RGBW inputs and one into IN1?