ST not finding WiFi bulbs (Dogain)

So new to ST. Yes I searched. If these are stupid questions, (they probably are) be nice :slight_smile: I’m new. Unless something has changed I already think I not going to be able to do this but here goes.

Currently I only have WIFI bulbs and a couple Wifi plugs, I have some “supported” sensors on the way though. My bulbs are KASA TP-Link (No issues).

But I have 4 bulbs in a fixture that can be white and change color. Supposed to be controlled with the Smart Life app, I am using the Brilliant app however- Same app just re-skinned like the Tuya app- That is my understanding. These bulbs are from a Chinese Co. called Dogain. If it helps here is a link to the bulbs- Dogain

I am using the newest ST hub, the new ST app and voice control using Google Hubs/ minis, etc.
GH see’s the Dogain bulbs and I can control them there also.

ST does not see them. Is there a SA or DH or some other way that I could get these to be seen in ST?

As stated I can control them currently but would really like to have them in ST for better control/ more options.

Thanks.

The most common way to control them is through IFTTT and Virtual switches. I am not really an expert of it, but @JDRoberts might have in his sleeves a link where the guides can be found.
But try to search for IFTTT and Smart Life. You will definitely find the topic where people talking about the end of IFTTT integration and the temporary solution with Brilliant’s IFTTT channel.

1 Like

Smartthings will never see them.

Instead, you can create a “virtual“ switch to act as a proxy for the real switch.

Then you use Ifttt with four “applets“:

1. when WiFi device turns on, turn on proxy switch
  2. when WiFi device turns off, turn off proxy switch
  3. when proxy switch turns on, turn on wifi device
  4. when proxy switch turns off, turn off WiFi device

(Dimmable devices which don’t actually have an on/off, but use 0% on to 100% on will probably not work with this method.)

OK, that gives you a way to look at your smartthings device list and see whether the Wi-Fi device is on or off. It also lets you turn it on or off from smartthings, because when smartthings turns the proxy switch on, Ifttt Will turn the Wi-Fi device on.

This is the basic method for use with any Wi-Fi on/off device that has an ifttt channel.

And, yes, it’s a lot of work to set up because you need to create those four applets for every individual Wi-Fi device you want to control.

And it really only works well for on/off. It’s not very good for dimmers or for color changing. There may be some ways to make that work as well with a similar method, but it depends on the exact details of the device and it can be a lot of work.

If the Wi-Fi device has scenes that show up in its Ifttt channel, you might also be able to use those. But again, that varies a lot from model to model.

So that’s the basic approach. Create a simple on/off virtual switch to stand in as a proxy for the Wi-Fi device. Then create four different Ifttt applets to keep your proxy device and the real Wi-Fi device in sync. :blush:

1 Like

Thanks @JDRoberts I have created a VS, I am assuming when you talk about the IFTTT steps you mean the VS since these are bulbs. I have tried to do this with IFTTT but had no luck, Maybe I am doing it wrong, Not sure if this negates your steps but IFTTT integration with Smart Life and every other ( That I have tried) App that basically is Smart Life just with a different name, ie. Tuya, Brilliant has been cut so if the bulbs need to have that , it won’t work. Lets say I am wrong, pretty sure I am :open_mouth: What would I use in IFTTT to make these applets? The actual IFTTT Service or the something else.

“Applet“ is just what Ifttt calls their rules. So whatever your Wi-Fi device is, it has to have an IFTTT service/channel where you can see the device show up, or the Ifttt method won’t work.

Yeah, That is what I thought you meant so that route will not work :frowning:

1 Like

Did I give you this FAQ yet:

FAQ: WIFI Devices in ST? How can I integrate a WiFi or Bluetooth device that isn’t on the official compatibility list?

1 Like

Yes I had read that one the other day, I did not see anything that would work unfortunately. The issue is no support outside the native app which is everyone’s problem when they are a…Thrifty. Its not like they do not work, just not the way I want, in ST. Really limits what you can do with them. Plus big pet peeve of mine is I do not want to have to open 47 different apps to make something work… Any experience with webCoRE? Would I run into the same issue you think?

Webcore is the same issue. If the controls are not exposed to smartthings, they are not exposed to Webcore.

Do you have an android phone? And do they work with Alexa?

Yes I do have/ use Android. No clue if they work with Alexa though, I assume they do.

In a Home Automation, it’s best not to make any assumptions. But if you can verify that they do work with Alexa, then you might get some limited integration through that method. (You don’t have to own an echo device, you can just use the free Alexa app.)

Otherwise, if you have android phone, you may be able to get some integration by using two paid third party apps. Tasker and sharptools. With Tasker, you can automate the operation of the bulb’s own app, and sharptools then gives you the integration to smartthings.

Neither of these methods is elegant, but they may work.

3 Likes

OK! Still quarantined from the work site so I have the time to try it! Thanks! At this point it is just a matter of being stubborn and cheap. The obvious answer is just fork out the money for bulbs that integrate with ST, it’s 4 stinking bulbs, and call it a day or just open the (bulb) app and make the changes on the fly- Hell’s NO! LOL.

1 Like