ST IR Blaster...Are ST Device Vendors Asleep at the Wheel?

Bond makes an IR blaster hub that is fully integrated with Smartthings and is popular. Perhaps a little research next time😉
Also if note, all 2021 Samsung TVs… QLED or better have built in IR blaster control in their ST apps and can ctrol almost any IR device using the the TV remote control

2 Likes

As @troy_owens noted, here is a device for IR

Here is an edge driver that supports a bunch of different Bond devices (fans, blinds, etc.)

2 Likes

We should probably also note that any device using an edge driver requires that you have a SmartThings/Aeotec hub. So that includes the bond via edge driver and one or two other options.

IR blasters that use cloud to cloud integration, including the Switchbot mini, Cielo Breeze, and the Bond Home integration available through the smartthings app, do not require that you have a hub.

Choice is good. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’ve done LOTS of research. I just did the other day find that switch-bot seems like a possible solution. I have 2 sitting on my desk to try.

I also 3 ESP8266 boards sitting on my desk while I research Arduino/ST integration to roll my own. But that sucks also.

So, research isn’t the issue, other than maybe the bait I used in the search, it isn’t an obvious device that’s available or communicated well for ST usage.

Never came up in my searches - Cielo Breeze, and the Bond

Im old, 63, and rich (lol) - I’ll bite. headed for a purchase.

Im expecting u personally to put the stamp on the package! LOL

Thank you. Your order has been received.

• ORDER NUMBER:35245
  • DATE:September 26, 2022
  • TOTAL:$99.00

The community-created wiki has an article on IR controllers. It does include all of the devices we’ve mentioned so far plus a few more.

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Use_SmartThings_with_a_Device_with_an_IR_Remote

So next time if you just start your research in this forum you can probably save yourself a lot of time. :sunglasses:

I don’t work for Bond. I just made a driver to support Bond devices locally on the Aeotec hub. You can use that driver or you can use the one directly available from Bond. The Bond version requires internet access for the cloud.

3 Likes

If you prefer local LAN control, but it requires flashing with 3rd-party Tasmota firmware, there are many IR & RF blasters to choose here.

And I have an Edge driver for Tasmota supported devices.

1 Like

Cool. :sunglasses: I have added this option to the wiki article on using IR devices with smartthings.

1 Like

Where’s your driver? I’m really new at this so I’m asking newbie questions. Thanks!

I’m assuming you mean the Bond driver for IR devices. It is compatible with the Bond Bridge and the Bond Bridge Pro.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Is there a trick to using Switchbot as an IR blaster?

Adding to this conversation, as a warning: I’ve tried to integrate my Frigidaire Gallery smart air conditioner into my ST network by using the Cielo Breeze but had to return it because it didn’t support all of the control features of the air conditioner. If I remember correctly, it didn’t support fan speed and some other important controls, despite the a/c being on Cielo’s compatibility list. When I asked Cielo technical support about when the missing control features would be added, they gave me no definite solution for the foreseeable future.
I see there are other reviews on Amazon who mention similar problems, lacking support for features that Cielo claimed are functional.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Is there a trick to using Switchbot as an IR blaster?

So does this Bond Device specifically control IR? I don’t see it calling out IR. Only RF.

https://www.amazon.com/Automation-Ceiling-Fireplace-through-Control/dp/B071GVGVVH/ref=asc_df_B071GVGVVH/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=222189693293&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9399624690384830359&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003349&hvtargid=pla-383275495166&psc=1&mcid=28bf90d9fcda3b3abace74739e7a83fe&gclid=CjwKCAiA6KWvBhAREiwAFPZM7odbeJy7_5FIjMRsF7-n5uNBeiBLY7AMYal55P_F5gbrb7CcKhvowRoCCwAQAvD_BwE

From the product description at the link you posted:

The BOND can record and transmit RF (radio frequency) as well as IR (infrared) signals,

That said, be aware that the bond devices were designed for control of ceiling fans and window air conditioners, both devices which are vertically up off the floor. Community members both here and at bond have reported issues when trying to get them to control tower fans or floor standing humidifiers, or even some televisions, because the Bond’s IR signals are angled pointing upwards, unlike the IR blasters which were primarily designed for televisions.

IR is a line-of-sight protocol, unlike some of the others used in Home Automation which are Omni-directional. So relative placement matters a lot. :satellite:

So, as always, the details matter.

The Bond Bridge (black hockey puck) does support IR. The Bond Bridge PRO (white with an ethernet port) does not.

1 Like

So is the one I posted above the one that DOES support IR? I can manage mounting and line of site, etc.

I have a camera that is pointed at a TV device that I want to be able to control remotely.