[ST EDGE] Zooz Edge Driver Channel

Hi All,

Any update on getting the Z15 added to the Edge Driver?
It is the last DTH I currently have running .

2 Likes

Not sure if this will help but you could try excluding and re-including the device. Sometimes the drivers don’t add/configure properly.

Will zen34 support association to a dimmer like I see the old handler supports?

Just adding to the questions, any chance there will be Edge drivers for Zen 21 Ver 4.0 and
Zen 22 Ver 4.0?

Looking for a Zen31 driver. Zooz RGBW Dimmer. Any plans on creating this?

Any plans for the Zooz XS Tilt | Shock Sensor ZSE43?

2 Likes

To make sure I understand, some conflicting comments…

I have the official Zooz groovy DTH for my Zen 77 & Zen 30….

I don’t want to lose settings, so all I need to do is install the edge drivers to hub now & on 9/30 ST will automatically convert it for me?

1 Like

Sorry everyone for being MIA for a while. I had some life related stuff I had to deal with, but that’s over now so I’ll be able to dedicate my time to working on drivers for the remaining Zooz devices.

4 Likes

If the physical button on the device stops working and you haven’t disabled them through the settings then that sounds like a hardware problem because I don’t see how a driver could cause that to happen.

That being, @Terri_Baker suggestion of removing the device and joining it again is worth trying, but if that doesn’t work then you should contact Zooz support.

1 Like

I don’t have an ETA, but it’s on the list.

I originally wasn’t including that in my drivers because without the IDE there’s no way for the end user to get the device’s Device Network ID.

All my recent drivers that can be controlled through associations are display it on the device details screen using a custom capability so once I’ve finished creating drivers for their devices I plan on adding support for associations to the ZEN32, ZEN34, and probably some of the other drivers.

At some point they probably will be supported, but they’re at the bottom of the list because they’re already officially supported by the built-in drivers and as long as you let SmartThings migrate those devices instead of doing it yourself ahead of time you won’t lose any of the setting changes you made while using the custom DTH.

Zooz hasn’t mentioned that device so I’m not sure if it will be getting a driver, but I think someone created a custom driver for the Fibaro RGBW controller so try searching the forum for that.

I think there might be a few differences with the settings, but that device is close enough to the ZEN32 where it should be functional with that driver.

If someone knows of the driver I’m referring to then feel free to post the creator’s handle which will make it easier to find, but please DON’T POST THE LINK.

Yes, those are near the top of the list.

1 Like

Are they any faster now? When I used the custom DTH it would delay lights turning on and off by almost a few seconds. Using them as a generic z-wave switch immediately sped things up.

If a custom driver is installed with a matching fingerprint then ST is supposed to assign it during the migration and if there isn’t one then it will assign it a built-in driver with a matching fingerprint, but if it doesn’t find a driver with a matching fingerprint then it will assign a driver based on the supported command classes.

That’s how it’s supposed to work, but if SmartThings screws up and it assigns a built-in driver with an exact fingerprint match instead of a custom driver then you can easily change it to the custom driver after the migration.

Unfortunately if you’re using the custom features/capabilities of a custom Groovy DTH in Routines/Automations and the migration assigns it the wrong driver then there’s a chance those will break/disappear, but hopefully ST won’t botch the migration.

This is where things get messy with the automatic migration for devices using custom DTHs…

All Devices without a Driver (ZEN21, ZEN22, etc.):

• WON’T LOSE custom settings, but you won’t be able to change them going forward.

• Routines/Automations using custom capabilities or capabilities not supported by the built-in driver it gets assigned WILL BREAK

Simple Devices with custom Drivers (ZEN76, ZEN77, ZSE41, etc) that get installed before the device is automatically migrated:

• WILL LOSE custom settings, but you can easily go into the settings and change them.

• Routines/Automations using custom feature WON’T BREAK

Multichannel Devices and other devices that use child devices (ZEN30, ZEN32, etc.) and have a custom driver that gets installed before the device is automatically migrated:

• WILL LOSE custom settings, but you can easily go into the settings and change them.

• Routines/Automations that use the child devices created by the custom handler WILL BREAK.

• It might be a lot easier (less frustrating) to manually remove and add these devices ahead of time instead of letting them get migrated automatically.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the z-wave switch Groovy DTH supported local execution and that wasn’t possible for custom DTHs which might explain the slowness you were seeing.

Most, if not all, of my switch/dimmer drivers use the built-in handlers for the on/off/setLevel commands so the behavior and performance should be identical to the built-in drivers.

Routines/Automations that execute locally are almost always faster with drivers than with DTH, but they sometimes respond slower than DTHs when controlling them from the mobile app. At least that’s the behavior I’ve been seeing…

So I want to be clear I understand, I see using this driver I can see my Zen77 dimmer device id, and I see it has custom capabilities to do Basic Set Assoc. and Multilevel Set Assoc.

So can I pair a Zen34 and grab the zen34 device ID and put it on the Zen77 and the Zen34 will control the Zen77 dimmer? Or you’re saying thats not working yet?

In order to setup direct associations you need to add the device ID of the device you want to control (ZEN77) to the association group setting(s) of the device you want to control it with (ZEN34), but the ZEN34 doesn’t have those settings yet.

The ZEN77 driver has association settings so that you can use a ZEN77 to control other devices.

Oh I see.

So right now the zen34 could work to control a zen77 but it would have to be using automations and we’d only get on/off with no dimming support.

I primarily use home assistant and zwavejs myself in my house and this was done somewhat easily on my end, but set up samsung smarthings at my dads place to be a little more simpler for him.

I dont mean to poke, since I am a developer myself and know how long things can take, but do you have plans to copy the association feature to the zen34 so that it can directly control other devices?

You could setup multiple automations to change the dimmer level like:

• zen34 pushed up 1x > turn zen77 on
  • zen34 pushed up 2x > set zen77 brightness to 25%
  • zen34 pushed up 3x > set zen77 brightness to 50%
  • zen34 pushed up 4x > set zen77 brightness to 75%
  • zen34 pushed up 5x > set zen77 brightness to 100%

or

• zen34 pushed up 1x > turn zen77 on
  • zen34 pushed down 1x > turn zen77 off
  • zen34 held up > set zen77 brightness to 100%
  • zen34 held down > set zen77 brightness to 25%

While using routines is possible it eats up a lot of the 200 automation/scene limit, especially if you have more then 1 set of devices to associate.

1 Like

Is the 200 limit still in place even after edge drivers and stuff are added? Smart things only does basic home automation stuff is what im learning, home assistant is much more feature rich but a lot more maintenance. No perfect product yet it seems like.

As of now the 200 routine/scene limit is still in place.

1 Like