[ST Edge] Web Requestor: a driver to issue local POST and GET HTTP requests

Question about a particular use case and how to use smartthings now to monitor devices. Note my intention is to do this all locally not using an external device/service
I set up the webrequestor device so I can check whether a server is up or not and trigger some notifications if not. As far as I know Web Requestor does not run in real time or in a cycle. Only runs when trigger.
I want them to make it run every 5 minutes. So I figure I need a cycle to trigger Web Requestor device every 5 minutes.
So I wanted to create a “cycle” routine … a bit surprised there is no way to do this easily. What I did them is

1. Created a virtual switch
  2. Set up a routine to turn it off if it has been on for 5 minutes
  3. Set up a routine to turn it on if it has been off for 5 minutes (steps 2 and 3 create the cycle)
  4. Set up a routine that every time the switch turn on or off, trigger the webrequestor device 1 by selecting the Req number nbr 1, then the webrequestor device 2 by selecting the Req number nbr 1, then the webrequestor device 3 by selecting the Req number nbr 1, etc
  5. Set up routines monitoring the status Webrequestor 1, Webquestor 2, etc
    My questions is whether this makes sense:
  • Is this a good way to use webrequestor and creating one device per request
  • Is this the best way to run a cycle in smartthings locally
  • Is this the proper way to activate webquestor to update the status (action to execute pre configured web request)
    Thanks and appreciated

UPDATE
Sounds from this post that truly you need to do something like I did to run a cycle.