[ST Edge] Virtual Things Edge Driver

when he calls me, I’ll ask for the ticket #. I had an issue last year that escalated to a manager and they did follow through then. Hopefully, they will this time as well

1 Like

That would be great thanks. Trying to open my own ticket now but it seems to be an uphill battle. They won’t open a ticket unless it’s a known issue. How can it become a known issue if no tickets are permitted to be opened? Lol

I’m having issues as above now too. Well only noticing them now. I use broadlink to control thermostats. Cold snap and the automations didn’t work.

Suggest opening tickets with Smartthings and Amazon.

Hello this is amazing a huge savor

Is there a wiki on the different switch types and whay they would be used for like robot and refrigerator

Seems other are having similar trouble with the alexa routines and virtual devices. My issue with alexa not picking up the change in state of the virtual switch only seems to be when turning the switch off. If I turn the switch on alexa picks it up and runs the routine. When I turn it off, alexa doesn’t pick up the change to run the routine. This has been going on for just over a week.

1 Like

This is a know issue. There is another virtual driver by @TAustin that has created a couple workaround options.

2 Likes

I’d not come across this notice before, thank you very much! It did the trick after a little trial and error, 1 routine down another 5 to go. Most of my home is now zigbee/zwave or supported by smartthings except for my somfy rts blinds. I think in the us there’s better connectivity for somfy and smartthings, but mot in the uk/eu.

Sorry for the dumb question, but how does one associate devices to a virtual switch created with the vDev controller? I created a virtual curtain with the goal of controlling two curtains with a single button, but I am not sure how to tie those two curtains to the virtual curtain.

This is the only thing preventing me from ditching the IKEA hub, the inability to control groups of blinds/curtains in smart things.

Use a routine(s). The IF trigger is the action of the virtual, the THEN actions are applied to the individual curtains.

1 Like

Thank you for the response. That thought did occur to me, but I couldn’t think of a good way to have it open/close based on the shade state using a single routine. Perhaps it is a lack of logic on my part or a limit of the app to set up such conditions.

I’ll continue to play with it. Thanks again.

Ideally I would want it to use the built in open/close buttons of the virtual switch.

1 Like

In the past week I’ve seen a similar issue with 2 of the virtual switches locking up and the on/off button becoming non-responsive (spinning wheel and no change). When I looked at Samsung account portal I could see that the device had attributes for both contactSensor and switch and their values were now out of sync with the sensor closed but the switch on. One of my routines turned the switch on but I can see in the history that the usual change in state of the sensor opening did not happen. In both cases I was able to fix the switch by going to the Commands section of portal and clicking the “on” command.
I’m not sure if these virtual switches had both contact Sensor and switch capabilities when I created the 6+ months ago but I did confirm that editing the Settings of the device in the ST app and changing the Switch profile from “Switch” to “Simple Switch” did remove the contactSensor attribute from the device. Hopefully that will solve the issue going forward. I’ll change the 2 that had the issue and then all my others assuming things work as expected. I noticed that all of the routines that use the device were disabled after the change to “Simple Switch” so I had to re-enable them all (easiest from the device’s Routines screen in ST app).
I presume that having both contactSensor and switch capability was to help compatibility with other services like Alexa (which is also inconsistent for other reasons - I switched to virtual Locks to trigger Alexa routines when those problems started) but maybe there is some issue with how that is implemented now in the driver or due to hub firmware changes ? I’d also add that these virtual devices are getting turned on and off many dozens of times a day in my setup so the issue in pretty infrequent.

A couple things.

1. The 1st thing I would try is rebooting your hub to see it that fixes your problem.

2. If that doesn’t work I would create new virtual switches.

3. The “Virtual Things Edge Driver [YG]” is an orphaned driver. The developer has not been around in nearly a year. You should consider using @TAustin 's “vEdge Creator” driver. He has a standard switch with no contacts and an Alexa switch which you can create a separate but linked set of contacts that you use in the Alexa app. You create the contacts in the settings menu. It has been very reliable.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @Paul_Oliver . I’ll definitely checkout the vEdge Creator when I get some time to redo my setup. Note that I was able to fix the state of the hung switches by issuing the “On” command from Samsung’s advanced portal Samsung account without a hub reboot.

1 Like

As this driver repository is no longer supported, I will be very grateful for any advice that will help me to replace the following driver:

• Zigbee Button Remote Driver [YG] 1.3.8 for Aqara Wireless Mini Switch Button

I don’t know of any alternates, so if they work, continue to use them.