[ST Edge] Virtual Things Edge Driver

@Paul_Oliver ,

Thanks for testing and sharing.

Is it possible that you changed the driver for one of the virtual devices you have?
May be you created the devices with other driver and then switched the driver to this one?

Anyway, I pushed a small fix that should show such devices as “Unknown”, if using “Show all devices” option.

I tried your updated driver and “show all” is working. Now it shows 26 virtual devices and 2 are shown as unknown. I deleted 1 unknown switch that I was not using, and I will fix the other one tomorrow. I have been using both yours and taustins virtual devices, so I might have tried to switch drivers at some point.

Thanks again for the drivers and taking the time to fix them when I break them.

1 Like

I’m finally diving into this Edge community and enrolled my Hub with this driver. I created a vSwitch device, and it set off my STHM because the vSwitch (not vContact) is seen as a contact device in the STHM, and even Alexa shows the vSwitch has contact capabilities as well even thought the SmartThings vSwitch device page only shows it as a switch with no Open/Close contact features. Is this by design, or a bug???

@DaWeav
This is by design. The list of supported capabilities for each device type is summarized here [ST Edge] Virtual Things Edge Driver

Hidden contact capability allows vSwitch to be used as a trigger in Alexa routines. Regular switches can not be used in “When this happen” part of the routine, only in action. So the only purpose of contact capability inside vSwitch is to workaround this Alexa’s limitation. It seems there is little to no benefit to show it in the device detailed view, hence it is hidden

It will be a deliberate design for use with Alexa, but as you have discovered the price you pay for that is that you can no longer let STHM default to using all your contact sensors.

The mobile app can also show a status tile when contact sensors are open so that would also be something to consider.

Generally speaking, adding stock capabilities to devices has costs as well as benefits. The costs can be the mild inconvenience of having to choose from irrelevant devices in lists, extra events flying around and potentially getting in the way, unwanted notifications etc etc. Often the cost is worth it.

I would appreciate if a contact sensor was optional. Because it appears in every security application and adds noise to the event log.
I don’t own Alexa

1 Like

This is great work, would it be possible to have a virtual power meter as well?

This way, I could sum in webcore the power consumption of multiple devices, and then use the virtual power meter to show a total consumption!

@veonua
So the request is to have a virtual switch with switch capability only? Did I get you right?
Have you considered to use vDimmer and just ignore switchLevel capability?

I am using switches to control sub-switches and momentary to control the lock from Google

@sulisenator

Do you need only powerMeter or also energyMeter?

@sulisenator There is virtual power meter already,done by @TAustin. It actually measures power usage. You have to enter connected load value in watts, and mirror switch/dimmer/bulb etc.

I have it connected to bulbs, plugs, hvac.

For bulbs I have entered wattage value for all bulbs on the same load.
For plugs I have entered wattage of device that is plugged in (humidifier, heater, fan, etc.)
For hvac I have automation that changes Wattage to one when furnace is used and different wattage when a/c is used.

Remember that Webcore itself, like all other custom groovy smart apps that run in the Samsung hosted groovy cloud, will be going away once the transition to edge is complete. So you may want to reconsider a design that relies on a combination of Webcore and edge drivers and start looking for other ways to do a similar automation. :thinking:

Webcore has its own forum, you can check there to see what people are planning to do in the future.

Both would be great!

Thanks, I know, I am using NodeRed for calculation, I’d be using webcore for now to “write” the value on the device. But I’ll easily move to something else. Let’s hope they deliver on that rules api.

1 Like

Hi Guys… First of all thanks for developing this! I’ve been using it to have Google home talk to SmartThings triggering a contact sensor to talk to Alexa, which uses a routine to trigger a Tuya device. It’s been working AWESOME! I’ve created a second location “WORK” to control a Tuya Device at my office. I have not been able to create a virtual contact sensor in the second location and you can’t seem to move devices between locations that I can find (I just googled it again and it seems you can’t move Non Samsung devices :persevere:). Anyway, is there anyway to create the vDevice in a second location?

You would have to install the driver to a hub in the second Location and select that Location in the app before running Scan Nearby to create a new controller device on that hub.

1 Like

If you don’t have a hub at your second location (work) you can create multiple locations (home & work) in the Tuya app. When you run the ST - Tuya integration (add devices in ST) it will bring all the Tuya locations into 1 ST location. Then you could just create a separate room for work.
This won’t work if you want to keep the ST locations separate.

2 Likes

Hi @veonua

I was looking at this issue and tried a couple of things.

1. First I tried to use visible condition to see if it can hide the sensor from STHM. Unfortunately, it didn’t work
  2. Next, I tried @JDRoberts 's idea to replace a sensor with a lock. Unfortunately, when Alexa sees lock it ignores switch capability. Further, it does not allow unlocking locks, so the switch can not be toggled.
  3. I can add an additional option to create a new virtual thing type that would create a simple switch without sensor. However, this would mean that you will need to create a new device and manually migrate your automation.
  4. Finally, I can add a new option to switch preferences, that allow you to change device profile. It is currently used to change vSwitch icons, but it can be used as well to load a profile without sensor.

There pros and cons for both 3 and 4. I’m not sure what would be the best solution.
Do you have any preferences?

I have only 2 virtual devices, so it should not be a big problem

1 Like

@veonua

I added the ability to select device profile to vMomentary. You can find it in settings.
In addition, I added a “simple switch” profile to vSwitch.
This way there is no need to delete and recreate the device, so all automations should keep working

4 Likes