[ST Edge] vEdge Creator: a virtual device generator for end users

Uh oh, sounds like the issue then!

@Jake_Mohl @bthrock
Any chance this occurred at the same time as a hub reboot? That might help me narrow down how this could be happening.

Aha, I did have an unexpected hub reboot on 11/17. Given the manner in which the momentary button is used, it’s possible that’s when the problem occurred and I didn’t notice until later.

OTOH, I’ve got lots of vEdge momentary switches, and only saw it with just one.

I can not remember when it occurred, I just noticed one day that the tile on sharptools that used the momentary button had switched states.

1 Like

There is an easy way to replicate this behavior. Open the device page and tap the “On” button three times in quick succession. The device will stay ON and not revert to OFF.

Now, I’m not aware that any of my rules or routines are sending rapid sequential commands. They certainly shouldn’t be, but I will have to give some thought to how this might be happening programmatically.

Is there any way to trap redundant commands on the driver side?

What do you mean by this - the switch button or the momentary button?

EDIT: I’m not seeing it if I have the Triggered Switch setting set to ‘Auto-revert to prior state’ and start with a switch that is OFF. If I tap the switch 3 times (as quickly as the app will allow), it reverts to OFF as expected for me.

My settings are exactly as yours (they’ve never been touched since I installed the driver), and at the time of my original post I’d just replicated the behavior a couple of dozen times with two separate devices. I considered using the screen recorder to capture what was happening then, and now I regret that I didn’t because I wasn’t able to replicate it myself when I tried this morning. But it was happening.

In any event, I’ve set up a rule to notify me if any momentary buttons stay ON for more than ten seconds, and if that happens, I’ll immediately pull the device history from the CLI. Hopefully, this was a weird one-off for both me and @Jake_Mohl, but if it does happen again, maybe the device history will help us figure it out. :man_shrugging:

OK thanks! Sounds like some unpredictability coming from the app, but let me know if you can get any more diagnostics on it. Even with the recent app update, I’ve been finding that controls can act very flakey unless you give everything a long time to get fully updated after opening the app.

1 Like

Just got it to do it again … It took a couple of tries, but after 4:05:08 PM it’s stuck on open. The setting page is still “Switch ON Momentarily” and “Auto Revert to prior state.”

Again, it’s an unusual circumstance in which I’m flooding the device with commands, but … :man_shrugging:

ETA: Sequence was one tap, pause a half-second or less, then two quick taps.

1 Like

Hi @TAustin
Can you please remove contact sensor from vEdge momentary button?

Its really important. Thanks

The contacts are there so the button can be used as an Alexa trigger.

3 Likes

Other users depend on it. Are you just needing it not to be shown on the Contols screen or omitted from the device altogether?

If you can explain your use case I’m sure we can come up with a solution. For example I could possibly add a device setting to optionally remove it.

I do it for my laundry. If laundry done triggered momentary switch. And i get notification in alexa. I can not use contact sensor at all because sometimes we do laundry when Arm is On. And when laundry done we had a siren everywhere yesterday such as contact sensor shwed as open.
So i believe my answer is omitted from the device altogether
If other users need that maybe you can create anothe momentary switch v2?

Change your home monitoring from all sensors to selected, and don’t select those that are unrelated.

3 Likes

i did, i guess after update (or after hub reboot) not sure, it selected all of them again.

Please let us know if you are able to solve your issue with @gst’s suggestion. Otherwise I can look at an option to remove the contact.

I can imagine your family was not happy with a siren going off!

1 Like

@TAustin Please don’t remove contact capability from virtual momentary. That would remove functionality from every Alexa Routine.

Removing sensor from STHM is way to do it.

6 Likes

@S_K I have contact sensors that I am using inside the house - interior doors, closet doors and kitchen cabinets, that I have to remove from STHM. That’s what needs to be done, regardless if device is virtual or not.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, I don’t consider removing it an option, only the possibility of an OPTIONAL config setting to remove it. But as you said removing it from STHM monitoring should be the answer.

2 Likes

If you’re using the momentary switch to trigger an Alexa notification, the only reason Alexa is even able to see the switch is BECAUSE of the contact. That’s why when you’re creating an Alexa routine for it, you see “OPEN” and “CLOSED” as the options, rather than “pushed” or “on/off”. Removing it would mean you wouldn’t be able to use it in Alexa, which means your dryer notifications wouldn’t work, defeating the entire purpose.

Excluding it from the STHM is the only option.

5 Likes

Many thanks @TAustin, this is critical functionality in the Edge architecture! Worked first time!

1 Like