[ST Edge] vEdge Creator: a virtual device generator for end users

I did see and install that, but so far smartthings won’t let me change the driver on my smartthings button or smartthings multipurpose sensors to use that.

I’m running out of options if they hold to their word and shut down the groovy platform by the end of the year.

Ask @Mariano_Colmenarejo if he can add those devices’ fingerprints

I’m using virtual device temp/humidity.
I use it to post temperature values through the SmartThings API.
I had problems to find the correct format for JSON.

If anyone wants to use SmartThings API to update temperature value
the JSON format is

[
{
“component”: “main”,
“capability”: “partyvoice23922.vtempset”,
“command”: “setvTemp”,
“arguments”: [ 23.90 ]
}
]

2 Likes

@TAustin Do have advice/direction/templates for someone (ahem, me) looking to build custom virtual device drivers for ST? I have two or three unique Hubitat devices I’d like to mirror to ST.

The mirroring I can do, but I’m trying to decide if I’m game to building the driver myself. I’m probably in over my head, but occasionally that’s how I learn.

I’ve actually been thinking about posting my vEdge driver to a public github repository. Virtual device drivers have become kind of a dime-a-dozen now! I already have a number of Edge drivers posted to github that you could look at. In fact my latest MQTT and HTTP Devices drivers are basically virtual devices with built-in protocol support. I think they are both up there, but may not be the very latest.

How do you plan on doing the integration between your devices and an Edge driver?

Thanks. I’ll take a look and see if I can figure out how it all works, and if not maybe dig around for a tutorial somewhere. If my head doesn’t explode and I don’t think it’ll result in days or weeks of futile cursing, maybe I’ll take a crack at it. :grinning:

@TAustin I’ve been using your driver for a while now just like you showed above and it’s been working great!! The main reason I use virtual presence devices is because ST doesn’t show the phone as a thing which I want to see, so the virtual device takes its place. And I set my location status and lights settings based on the virtual device status rather than the actual phone because you enabled the on/off switch on the virtual device so I can actually manually set the virtual device status if for some reason the phones location isn’t being determined properly as home or away.

Anyway, to get to the point, I have an Aeotec hub set up at my cottage. I’d like to set up some routines that will control lights based on the phones presence at the cottage. But if I change the virtual device to present for the cottage, won’t that also show it is present at home? Is the answer to set up a second virtual presence device for each mobile phone that gets its presence determined by geolocation at the cottage?

Thanks

1 Like

Assuming you’re Home and cottage are set up as separate locations you won’t have a problem. Enroll the cottage hub in the required channel and install the Presence Sensor driver.

Make sure your cottage hub has the right physical address.

Yes, home and cottage are separate locations, with each hub geolocated to their address.

I still think I need 2 virtual presence sensors for each of my and my wife’s phones. That way the actual phone’s presence at home will turn on or off the “virtual home phone”, and the actual phone’s presence at the cottage will turn on or off the “virtual cottage phone”. Then I can run routines based on each of those statuses at each location.

I have 2 locations and it works fine. One for home and 1 for camp.

This has probably been asked before, but I couldn’t easily find it. I have v2.3 installed on my hub. How do I get it updated to 2.5?

Normally, drivers will update on their own…at some interval…maybe someone else knows the frequency.

However, the easiest way I have found to FORCE an update of an Edge driver, is to attempt to delete the driver. Since the driver is connected to a device, it shows an error…but it initiates an upgrade in the background.

Well, in this case, the device name includes the version. The name never gets updated, so it is possible that it is getting updated, just with an old name.is there a way to check the version info of the driver? At least in this case, check to see if it matches the 2.7 that is currently released?

The most current driver version is 2022-10-06T21:36:02.084002973

First make sure you have that version on your hub. If you do, and you still have a vEdge Creator V2.3 device, then you can upgrade it to the latest by deleting the creator device (don’t worry, this won’t affect your existing virtual devices), and then do an Add device / Scan for nearby devices to have it recreated. This will make sure you have the latest, which is V2.7. If you still had any label issue on your Controls screen, this should clear those up for you, and also make sure you can create all the currently supported device types.

2 Likes

Thanks! That’s why I ended up doing.

I have a momentary switch created with your driver that somehow changed from “momentarily on” to “momentarily off,” which I’ve never seen with a momentary switch. Any idea how this might have happened, and is this normal or optional behavior with this driver? Also, is there a way I can prevent this from happening?

I assume you are talking about a momentary button device? These devices include a momentary button, a regular switch, and a contact (for Alexa integration).

There is a device Settings option that lets you define what happens when you press the button (in addition to the button going into a momentary ‘pushed’ state):

• Switch OFF Momentarily: switch goes into OFF state for a second then reverts back to ON
  • Switch ON Momentarily: switch goes into ON state for a second then reverts back to OFF
  • Simple toggle: switch is toggled (if ON then goes to OFF; if OFF then goes to ON)

There is also a device Settings option to control what happens when you flip the switch (rather than the button):

• Switch auto-reverts to prior state after a second
  • No further action

It sounds like you just need to get those settings configured for the device to behave the way you want. Automations can be created to trigger based on any of the three capabilities: button, switch, or contact, depending on what you need.

Thanks for the reply. The button in question had been working as a momentary ON button ever since it was created over the summer, and the settings (which I never had reason to explore before) are still set to “Switch ON Momentarily.”

Somehow, however, the button began staying ON a couple of days ago. Before your reply here, I opened the device and tapped the button next to Momentary | Standby (just taking a wild, uninformed shot to see what might happen) and immediately saw the switch return to ON and not revert to OFF. It’s working normally now without any changes to settings. How it got out of sync (probably not the right word), I still don’t know.

Hard to say what happened. Keep an eye on it and let me know if it happens again. It could have been a random platform glitch, but we don’t know.

1 Like

I have had the same thing happen to me. It was a Normal Off momentary and it switched to a Normally On.