[ST Edge] vEdge Creator: a virtual device generator for end users

Yes,
I have the 2 TVs configured with static IP.
I remember that the first version of your [ST Edge] UPnP Control Point Driver sent the IP, now I see that it sends the UUID:

2021-11-10T15:16:00.968724437+00:00 INFO UPnP Explorer  Event received from: [TV][LG]42LA691S-ZA
2021-11-10T15:16:00.974694420+00:00 INFO UPnP Explorer          Subscription ID: uuid:e91d0736-e785-c41f-6030-fbf3acXXXXXX
2021-11-10T15:16:00.980738441+00:00 INFO UPnP Explorer          Sequence Number: 0
2021-11-10T15:16:00.986846160+00:00 INFO UPnP Explorer          Properties:

It would be worth the UUID and so I can remove the static IP

New driver update:

This update adds an optional feature to the virtual motion sensor devices so you can configure motion to go active when the switch is on, and then pause a set number of seconds, and then return to inactive state (and switch turns off again).

Use device Settings to access the configuration options; default is that this feature is disabled.

Thanks to @Mariano_Colmenarejo for the original suggestion and testing.

Keep in mind this feature will only be available to newly created motion sensors devices once your hub receives the update.

3 Likes

Is it possible to reset the delay on a momentary button somehow?

I am thinking of the following use case:

if a motion sensor tracks no movement for 2 minutes then turn off the lights. Currently, the two minutes condition on the movement forces the routine to be executed in the cloud. But, if resetting the delay was possible then a local execution would be possible: if movement is detected reset the 120 second delay on the momentary button (local execution). When the delay is over and the included switch resets then turn off the lights (also local).

So a resettable delay would allow to turn the cloud executed routine into a local executed routine (by watching the state of the switch instead of “no movement for two minutes”).

Sorry for my bad English :slight_smile:

@thorsten1 That is added to new Motion sensor device.
My motion sensor resets after 12 seconds

Thank you very much, but unfortunately I am not sure if this feature fits my needs.

I created a routine to turn on the switch of the virtual motion sensor if motion is detected and configured the virtual motion sensor as seen at the screenshot you provided. Now the virtual motion sensor returns to inactive 12 seconds after being triggered even is there is still movement.

What I need is to keep the virtual motion sensor active as long as motion is detected by the physical motion sensor and start the 12 seconds delay if no movement is detected anymore. If motion is detected again after this 12 seconds start running and before this time is elapsed, the timer should be stopped and started again if there is no motion detected again.

Is this also possible?

It may be possible to do that as a device option, but it seems like a pretty specific need. Have you looked at trying to accomplish what you want to do with a Rule? I know you were concerned with keeping it local. If you disable the delay in the virtual motion sensor, you can be in complete control of when the virtual motion goes on or off.

If you can’t implement your logic in Rules, then maybe a weCoRE piston is in order. Not local, but you may not notice a difference given the 12 second delay anyway.

Thank you very much for your input, I guess I will stay with the cloud-exexuted rule.

I thought about keeping the lights in a room on as long as there is movement and to turn the lights of with a certain delay, but maybe at the moment this is not possible with local execution :slight_smile:

Actually I made it works local
You need virtual motion, and 3 Automations. They run local
Setup vMotion to 120 seconds delay, and Auto return to Inactive

Create 3 Automations whithin vMotion sensor

They will be Local

1. IF SourceDevice motion is On,
    THEN Turn vMotion ON

This will turn motion to off after 120 seconds
    As long as motion keeps coming from your motion source, this will delay OFF timer for 120 seconds

2. IF vMotion is On
    THEN turn Light On

3. IF vMotion is Off
    THEN turn Light Off

I have something similar for my porch lights, and they work local for sure. Tested other day when we had Comcast/Xfinity outage :slightly_smiling_face:

Hopefully your Source of motion and Light/Switch runs local, otherwise this will not work

2 Likes

Thank you very much, I’ll give it a try this evening :slight_smile:

It works perfectly, thank you very much :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You want a presence sensor instead of a motion sensor. They are very similar, but the presence sensor has a little bit different logic that causes triggering. They are intended for just this purpose. You can pull off the use case either way, but the presence sensor will work with less effort.

Question. And I apologize if this is the wrong place.

I have been slowly pushing all the security aspects of my smart home over to Ring. Just using ST for lighting and automations and things.

I still like the idea of using a couple of those Ring devices in some routines. I used this device creator to make a couple contact sensors which read the status of the Ring sensors using Alexa as the middle-man. All good there.

Is it possible to create a virtual device that would read the status of the Yale yrd226 door lock, which is connected through Ring? I know I can use a contact sensor and, when setting up in alexa, assign “locked” from the lock to “closed” on the virtual device. And then “unlocked” to “open” and that’s a fine solution. But is there a different device that would actually read them as “locked” and “unlocked” ??

When I create a virtual lock, alexa reads it as an actual lock. So when setting up the routine in alexa, I can’t do one for the “unlocked” status because alexa thinks it’s actually unlocking a door and won’t allow that in routines.

Maybe it would help to mention, the structure of the alexa routine I’m trying to set up is

IF yale lock is unlocked
THEN unlock virtual lock

And then another for locked.

What I’m getting at is I’d prefer the virtual device read “unlocked/locked” rather than “open/closed” if possible.

Then once I get that, I would like to build one routine allowing me to lock the front door using ST but that seems pretty straightforward.

Sorry for rambling!

I did this for a while.
You would need to use a virtual lock (created from the IDE) or a virtual edge lock here
Then in Alexa, I you have to go into the device details and allow lock/unlock permissions and create a pin.

If you need more help let me know.

1 Like

Unfortunately even with the permissions enabled, alexa still won’t let you unlock with a routine. Safety issue, which I understand!!, but it can’t tell the lock is virtual haha.

Sorry, forgot to mention you have to use the Custom command in actions and say " unlock door name"

1 Like

Sounds like maybe you need a virtual combo lock device that would also have a contact for Alexa IF-clauses, and switch for Alexa THEN clauses. (Would you need both)? All three would have synchronized state.

Do you think that would give you what you need?

2 Likes

I set this up yesterday. Within the app, it did give everything I wanted. However I didn’t like having to tell alexa my pin just to complete unlocking the virtual lock.

I do use the ring app to lock and unlock the door sometimes and even unlocking that way triggered alexa to ask for the pin in order to complete the routine.

As for the suggestion from @TAustin above…that could possibly work but it’s outside my scope of knowledge.

In the end I think I’m just going to tie the lock to a virtual contact sensor. Seems like any other solution overly complicates things just to get “locked/unlocked” instead of “opened/closed.”

Then I can setup the routine I’m trying to do to “close” the lock and everything will be fine.

Thanks to you both for the tips!

@TAustin could you create virtual Door device, with both Open/Close and Lock/Unlock capabilities, plus switch options for both? That way users could see both capabilities in Alexa.

That might solve @sdaltons request

I certainly could; that’s what I was asking earlier, although having separate switches is an additional twist…

@sdaltons - would this new virtual device be useful to you?

But maybe with option to be synced. Sometimes door can be closed but not locked