[ST Edge] vEdge Creator: a virtual device generator for end users

It may also end up being reused for Matter. Time will tell.

I’ve been completely reinstalling my Location in the last two days, as I thought it was about time I got it on the EU01 shard to match my UK accounts, and I also switched the ownership away from my personal account. Yesterday I was having problems with the first hub I migrated returning a 403 error when running logcat so I thought I’d give it a factory reset today. It still returns a 403 but more surprising to me is that it installs vEdge Creator 2.3 when I do a Scan Nearby (just the once unless deleted). I find this a little odd for two reasons:

1. The device doesn’t give me the ‘Driver’ option in the settings, and nor do any devices created using it.
  2. The app and the CLI tell me that it is not enrolled in @TAustin’s channel and does not have the virtual devices driver installed. It was enrolled and the driver installed before the devices and hub were removed and supposedly factory reset, but I haven’t done anything since.

Confused? You bet I am. Did I forget to do something?

That is freaky! Sounds like a glitch in the matrix for sure. And it sounds like besides the Driver option not being shown, the virtual devices are functioning normally?

You didn’t say, but to prepare for this migration, did you delete all devices and remove all drivers from the hub first? Or did you leave everything intact?

I certainly deleted the devices. If I went wrong anywhere it would be in not clearing out the drivers thoroughly. Then again I didn’t expect anything to survive a reset.

Must be some memory retained back in the SmartThings cloud of installed drivers… but why did it only happen with this one driver and not others??!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: [SmartThings Edge] Permissions differences among location members

I got bored after 'Historically ’

:grin::eyes:

I literally LOL’d at that one!

2 Likes

@TAustin, I’m trying to use the vEdge Battery device Power Source as an If condition in a Routine, but it’s not letting me.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

If you tap on your vEdge Battery 1 device, what happens, nothing? Instead of ‘Unknown condition’ you should see something like ‘Choose what you want this device to do’, so clearly something is wrong with that device.

Have you tried creating another?

It lets me select and choose what I want as the trigger condition, but when I select save, then it shows unknown condition and won’t save the Routine.

I created another one, but it does the same thing.

It lets me use the Battery level condition as a trigger, but the Power Source condition does not work as a trigger.

I’ll just echo @DaWeav 's comments. I’m having the exact same experience, including creating a second device with the same result. Battery Level works as a condition, Power Source does not.

A day or two ago, when I first saw this mentioned, I tried a Routine and it worked fine with Power Source. I’ve just looked again and I see Unknown Condition too.

1 Like

@DaWeav @sdgood

I haven’t been able to re-create it myself - it’s working normally for me. But I’ll look at the device profile and capability definitions to confirm they aren’t missing anything.

2 Likes

Also, when I add the Battery virtual device, it uses the generic symbol ICON, and Alexa does not see it as a device at all.

Alexa does not recognize SmartThings battery devices. What kind of control are you wanting to have from Alexa?

Several of the virtual devices have switches included in order to provide control from Alexa. Alexa only recognizes certain SmartThings device types (batteries not included!) I had not included one in the virtual battery device since it’s not obvious what you’d be controlling. Could you perhaps set up a separate virtual switch controlled by Alexa that would in turn trigger your battery device?

@DaWeav @sdgood @orangebucket

I’ve double checked on my end and can’t see anything that would be causing the problem you are seeing trying to create an IF condition based on battery power source.

@nayelyz - We may have a platform glitch for you to report. A virtual device is using the stock powerSource capability and recently people are reporting that they cannot create an automation routine IF condition with it. See this screen shot.

I personally am not seeing this happen on my app (iOS), but 3 others are having the same problem.

DETAILS
Driver ID: 0fd9a9a4-8863-4a83-97a7-5a288ff0f5a6
Channel ID: e6e29aeb-2793-4ebf-b8f6-e37b69e32c61

Edge Profile

name: vedgebattery.v1
components:
- id: main
  capabilities:
    - id: battery
      version: 1
    - id: partyvoice23922.batterylevel
    - id: powerSource
    - id: partyvoice23922.powersource
  categories:
    - name: Others
metadata:
  vid: 25c83bc2-88e1-3440-9383-47e5073a7733
  mnmn: SmartThingsCommunity
1 Like

Thanks for sharing this, I’ll make some tests to check this issue. I’ll keep you updated.

3 Likes

Using iOS, it doesn’t show ‘unknown condition’ when selecting the power condition as a trigger. It’s showing what it should, but it still won’t let me save the Routine using iOS with a popup showing ‘network error’ when the power condition is the only trigger for the Routine. However, if I add another trigger like for instance time, then it saves the Routine, but without the power condition as one of the triggers.

Android shows the ‘unknown condition’ after selecting the power condition as a trigger, and won’t let me save the Routine even if there are other triggers.

@nayelyz see above.