Here is an Edge driver that will enable end-users to create virtual devices that run locally on-hub.
UPDATED JULY 2022…
- Supports the following virtual device types:
A/C, air quality, alarm, battery, contact, door, fan, garage door, light (including RGBW), lock, momentary button, motion, panic, presence, refrigerator, shade, smoke, switch, temp/humidity, TV, switchlevel/dimmer, thermostat, video camera, water
- Create any number of virtual devices
- Easy and fast to use: No coding or CLI required
- Enables you to create 100% local automations with virtual devices
- See how many devices you’ve created of a given type (inventory)
- Devices include additional controls and features beyond what is available through CLI-created virtual devices
- Several virtual device types include a switch that mirrors controls - useful for Alexa triggers
- Several virtual devices types include custom controls to set device states
- Ability to select dashboard icon for select devices (e.g., switch, contact, motion)
- Momentary button includes both switch and contact, plus preference settings to control on/off/revert behavior, and delay value
- Motion includes optional auto-revert back to inactive after given delay value
- Shade device includes hidden contactSensor for triggering Alexa routines
Note for those wanting to trigger Alexa: use a virtual Contact device, which contains both a switch and contact needed for full Alexa control. Icon preference can be chosen in device Settings.
There is a known issue with Connect/Wifi hubs as of 11/8/21. The symptom is that the vEdge Creator device will not get created when you do an Add device/Scan nearby. Hopefully a future firmware update will solve it.
Virtual Smoke Detector devices may not show the proper state on the device dashboard. This is a known SmartThings app issue. However, the device details screen should show the correct state (‘detected’ or ‘clear’) and automation triggers based on the smoke detector state should work OK.
Battery power source not available as an automation routine condition; this appear to be a SmartThings bug as of 6/2022.
Media playback controls are not functional in the TV devices due a SmartThings issue.
I’m happy to expand the list of virtual device types supported based on community needs.
Please leave your feedback here!
Use this channel invitation link to load the driver to your hub: SmartThings. Add a little smartness to your things.
Enroll your hub, then display available drivers and choose Virtual Devices V2
Once the driver has been installed to your hub, go to your mobile app and do an Add device / Scan for nearby devices. This will result in the creation of a new device called vEdge Creator V2.5 to be found in your No Room Assigned room.
Open the new creator device to the device Controls screen. Set the quantity of devices you want to create of a given type, then select the device type and your device(s) will be created in your No room assigned room.
If you have any problems, it would be helpful to get a log output, but for that you will need the CLI:
smartthings edge:drivers:installed smartthings edge:drivers:logcat <driverID> --hub-address=<hub ip addr>
Upgrading from prior versions:
- If the existing creator device is not working with the updated driver, the creator device can be deleted and recreated without affecting existing virtual devices. Ensure the latest driver is installed to your hub by checking the driver version. Once the updated driver is on your hub, you can delete the existing creator device, then perform an Add device / Scan for nearby devices, and a new creator device will be created.