[ST Edge] SmartThings MyQ Edge (Obsolete)

Ah yes, I forgot that was an alternative. I really need to add that to the repo instructions.

1 Like

For those of you who donā€™t want to continuously run a computer, or if you struggled to figure out Brianā€™s setup, to open and close the Chamberlain doors with Z-wave and and voice commands, there is an alternative using the Zooz MultiRelay. First, I want to say that Brian Beaird is brilliant and does great work. That said, I think this is a pretty good alternative to what Brian has done. The main thing that is lacking is that the MultiRelay doesnā€™t specify door direction. It only acts as a toggle because it deploys an actual Chamberlain remote control to communicate with the door controller in the garage. Like any other remote control, you also have to make sure you keep a good battery in it.

For some good instructions on how to do this, see: https://www.budshomeautomation.com/post/how-to-install-the-zooz-multi-relay-device-handler-in-smartthings

Bud recommended, and I also used, the Zooz MultiRelay Zen16. His site is set up for the Groovy Device Handlers, which are obsolete. The Zooz website has alternative instructions for setting up the current Edge drivers here: How to Add Your ZEN16 MultiRelay to SmartThings - Zooz Support Center

Once you set up the drivers and get the device connected to Smartthings, you can follow Budā€™s instructions.

The hardest part is soldering the wires to the remote circuit board. I managed to do it, but it is some fairly challenging soldering for the novice. Here is what my soldering looked like:

It ainā€™t purty, but it works. As Bud suggested, I used the soldering gun to cut holes in the plastic remote shell for the egress of the wires from the circuit board to the multirelay.

Once itā€™s all put together, hereā€™s what it looks like:

Make sure you use the exact 1 amp power supply that is recommended by Bud. Using the wrong power supply can fry the Zooz device. When setting up the relays, tell it to set up individual child devices in Smartthings. On the individual relays, I specified the auto-off to occur after two seconds. Thatā€™s equivalent to holding the button on the remote for two seconds. I then set up scenes for both of my garage doors that function as toggles for the doors. Be careful with this because you need to be sure whether your door is going up or down. You can check by looking on the MyQ app, or the old fashioned way, which is to look at your door.

So, Brianā€™s method is probably superior, but this is a functional alternative that doesnā€™t require a continuously running computer. It appears to be working well, but weā€™ll see how it goes.

1 Like

A contact or tilt sensor can also be used for open/close status. There is some discussion in this thread on myq alternatives.

Yes, this is an option for a backup parallel method along with MyQ.

Along with this you can choose not reassemble your remote and put it in a plastic project box. Inside this box along with your remote you can put a small buck DC to DC converter to step down the 12vdc to the remotes 3vdc (or whatever your remote is).

The 12Vdc is available on the Zen16 terminal strip where you wire the 12Vdc power supply in.

Then as long as you have AC you have power for the remote board in the box.

See my post in this thread that talks about this to see what Iā€™m trying to explain:

Thank you for the power supply advice. That would be a great addition.

I have been following along here. I had tried downloading docker and using that, but had very little luck. I am also not sure about putting it on my laptop, as we dont keep that on all the time.

I do know that I am so sick of not being able to automate the opening of the garage doors. I am thinking about buying a Raspberry Pi, but have never used one before. I have heard of them, just never had any hands on experience.

How easy will this be to set up on the Pi? I dont have a whole lot of tech experience, so is it worth it, or should i just stay away, and hope that one day smartthings will integrate with MyQ or at the very least allow ITTT to at least open the garage door, instead of just close them.

Very easy to set up. Download the raspian version of choice, slap it on a SD card (one method), insert, boot up and good to go!

Now the hard part is finding a Pi that will not break the bank. They have been hard to come by in the past few years due to all the supply chain issues. Current projections are Pis supplies should start to normalize around Q3 of this year. You can find Pis now but the prices are from third-party sellers who charge HUGE markups. You can sign up at the following site Adafruit to be alerted when Pis come in stock. Emails are sent to match the number they have in stock so it could take awhile. If you receive an in stock alert - buy quickly because they sell out in minutes (for now with the short supply). There are a few other vendors and also in Europe but shipping time is several long weeks.

start here and watch the short video: https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/

installing docker on a Pi is simpleā€¦ google it and there are good instructions. After you get docker installedā€¦ consider Portainer. It is an easy to use system to manage docker.

2 Likes

I found this on Amazon. Would this not work? Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2019 Quad Core 64 Bit WiFi Bluetooth (4GB) its $168 but if it works i am at the point where its worth it! HAHA

maybe @AZSteve can give you some feedback on the libre:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074P6BNGZ?linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&tag=zd-buy-button-20&ascsubtag=25b07925a6a540828b15b99237fcc2fe|9e8862e8-5189-4195-bb08-a38431f97b06|dtp-oo

1 Like

thats way cheaper! I will look into this, and await a response! Thanks for this.

The docker should run on anything that runs 64 bit linux, does not have to be arm64. Just download the correct binaries.

hey @jkp, thanks for the mention.

I had plans to use a RaspberryPi but the cost right now is so high ($150-$200). i decided to try to Libre, i got the 1Gb one and using the Ubuntu distribution linked from Libreā€™s site. this was a great option, at $30 is was cheap enough, i am not running a GUI, all command line as this is meant to run headless.

i am running the MyQ in docker, and, on the same system, running the LanBridge, LanPresence and Edge Weather from @TAustin.

the system is running perfecty, no issues, delays, etc. if you donā€™t need the GUI, this is a great option to run for these types of applications as they are not memory demanding.

4 Likes

for the Libra, since i am running Ubuntu, i followed this set of instructions, no issues installing Docker

while i am a S/W developer by trade, i am not experienced with Linux and i had no issues getting it setup, there are plenty of good documents and a great community

I also have used a Libre S905. Not specifically for MyQ or other drivers like @AZSteve is doing. I already had a Pi doing that.

I used it to run Home Assistant and set up presence tracking via Life360 and HA abilities to connect to my home router to track phones connecting. Then fed that info to Smartthings.

Although I agree that they can be used. I had no experience with them and made my way through using Google to find guides and help.

Trying to run myQBridgeServer-linux-arm64 on my Raspberry Pi and getting an error:

pi@raspberrypi:/opt/myq $ ./myQBridgeServer-linux-arm64
internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:818
  throw err;
  ^

Error: Cannot find module '/snapshot/server/server.js'
    at Function.Module._resolveFilename (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:815:15)
    at Function._resolveFilename (pkg/prelude/bootstrap.js:1955:46)
    at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:667:27)
    at Function.runMain (pkg/prelude/bootstrap.js:1983:12)
    at internal/main/run_main_module.js:17:47 {
  code: 'MODULE_NOT_FOUND',
  requireStack: []
}

Am I missing something?

Thank you so much for this. Mine should be arriving today, so will be setting it up this afternoon! I will follow these instructions.

@brbeaird Iā€™ve come across an interesting problem.
The other day I had experienced several power outages in the day (car accident hit a utility pole in my neighbourhood).

Whenever power goes out and comes back, the official MyQ app registers my 3 garage door statuses as unknown (remotely I can detect their true status with contact sensors I have attached to the doors that are integrated into my home security system). The Home Assistant integration registers them as open (Iā€™ve complained about this), while your app states they are offline (better status description). So nothing too strange.

Once I open and close a garage door, the official MyQ app will then report the correct status of that particular door. HA integration will also have the correct status. Your app was still reporting the wrong status, but also it stated that it was not connected. The smartapp myq-controller also stated that the MyQ bridge server was offline, when it wasnā€™t. Rebooting the server didnā€™t correct the issue, and checking the logs, it was running normally with no errors. (Attempting to open the doors with the ST app didnā€™t work, although itā€™s status changed to ā€œopeningā€, but nothing happened)

Once I opened and closed all 3 of my garage doors, did it register correctly and stated that is was now connected to the bridge server.

Could there something in the code that with multiple garage doors it fails in such a situation?

I pushed a fresh binary up yesterday and confirmed it runs on my Pi. Maybe give that a shot.

Hmm. I would have to play with this and try to reproduce the issue. It should be smart enough to recover automatically.

For what itā€™s worth, I have 3 Garage Doors, running Windows App, and itā€™s been rock solid for months.

1 Like

Hmmmā€¦ little glitch todayā€¦ but solvedā€¦ dropping in for future reference :slight_smile:

MyQ Windows Bridge Server wasnā€™t automatically finding the MyQ Connector IP & Port.

Restarted Bridge Server: Did not fix.

Rebooted Windows: Did not fix.

Quick Test:

• Manually Set IP & Port in MyQ Connector Settings; then restarted Bridge Server and it worked.
  • But then set both IP & Port back to Blank/Autodetect for continued testing.

Power-Cycled SmartThings v3 Hub: Resolved the problem

BEFORE POWER-CYCLE:

FIXED AFTER POWER-CYCLE:

1 Like