[ST Edge] SmartThings MyQ Edge (Obsolete)

I have an Iphone 11.

Smartthings itself does not have a built-in NFC feature. Apple HomeKit, however, does, so, if you set up a HomeKit home, you can then read an NFC tag and do something with that. I find the easiest thing is to use a Meross Smart plug or power strip as a go-between between homekit and SmartThings, since the Meross is visible to both platforms at the same time. And it ends up being a pretty inexpensive way to do it. So, for example, scan the NFC tag with your iPhone, turn on a socket in the Meross power strip, have that socket coming on trigger events in smartthings. Here are more details on that method:

And here’s how to create the automation in HomeKit:

https://9to5mac.com/2022/02/04/homekit-weekly-how-to-create-nfc-automations-for-homekit-using-shortcuts-and-1-tags/

1 Like

Thank you, I will take a look at this option. Too bad ihome is no longer supported since I have a spare plug on HomeKit that used to work with SmartThings.

1 Like

will this integration work for multiple garage doors/multiple myq lifts?

[Edit - Fixed]
When I created the Docker Container, I renamed the container to “myQ”
I just reinstalled and left it as the original name - now it worked fine.

I must be missing something real simple.

I loaded mine on Docker on QNAP.
It’s running:

And I get the “status” page:

I was able to add to the mobile app:

But I’m missing the, click the ellipse to enter your login

(I did try inputting those as variables during setup as well)

You may want to remove and reinstall the Myq Controller, if you’re not able to access it. As you need to be able to go into the controller tile in your ST app and enter your MyQ login credentials. The bridge server would then get those from the app and use that to login and discover your garage doors.

@Cory_Booth,

The name of the docker container should be neither here nor there.

Glad you got it going.

Yes, it’s designed to. It even features a device list setting for limiting the MyQ devices that you want exposed to SmartThings.

Hello all! I have been so excited to try this, I had some time this morning, so I have downloaded docker, and finally got it so it wouldn’t fail when launched.

Anyway, i just did the command prompt and pulled the image, that looks like it went, and it is saying that it is the “latest”.

When I go to pull the container, and hit enter, it is saying “docker: Invalid hostPort: 8090”. I saw that you really shouldn’t need to change the port, but if you do, it should be the same in two places. I tried changing it to something else, but it returned the same result.

I will be the first to admit, i am not a coder or anything of the like, so whomever takes the bait and decides to help me, I sincerely apologize ahead of time! HAHA!!!

EDITED: I should also include that i tried adding the device in SmartThings, and it wouldn’t show up. I am sure that is because I haven’t finished the docker piece. But just wanted to put that out there.

What device you installing this on? Windows, RPi, Mac

What automations do you all use with the MyQ device added to Smartthings? I’m trying to figure out what use cases I maybe able to come up with but the only things I feel comfortable doing are just basically replicating the MyQ app functions.

I have automations to automatically open when I come home, auto close if away for 2 mins, auto close at 8:30pm and notify via Alexa announcement if garage is left open more than 10 mins.

I downloaded it on my laptop, it is a windows device.

I just installed the latest edge driver and server but the doors aren’t showing up in the Home app. Hmm

Go to the Home app → settings → works with Google and select SmartThings to reconnect. This should do a force update and your should are them added.

1 Like

Thanks, that worked :slight_smile:

Not sure if something changed over the last month or so but reviewing the channel again today found a new MyQ connector that wasn’t visible back mid-October. After adding that connector and restarting the docker image everything works flawlessly.
Maybe I caught something mid-oct that was incomplete. Either way this MyQ edge driver works great, very happy. Thank you everyone for the advice and thank you @brbeaird for creating this solution!

2 Likes

@jkp do you have any ideas on this one?

I’m new to using docker and though I’m very comfortable configuring a linux-based computer, I’m haven’t used any of the micro computers that have flooded the market lately. I’m looking for recommendations for hardware that can run the myQ integration and is inexpensive, robust, and --most importanly-- available. I plan to put this in my dad’s house, so it has to be something reliable and doesn’t need me to get it working if the power restarts. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

What are you trying to run this on a Pi? Or what environment. It will let the right people answers and help you set this up.