[ST Edge] Roku Driver

I have premier roku on samsung tv, that can be turned on. It automatically turns tv on. Tv needs to have HDMI-CEC capability.
Tagging @TAustin

Yup you are right. We had discussed way back in the early development of the driver. Many TVs with a stick can only be turned OFF, and some not even that. It just depends. But the stick itself will always be ‘ON’, so even if you try turning the switch off, it will probably go back on, since that is what the stick reports as status.

For others awareness, Gary has discovered a new problem with the power switch in the Roku device Controls screen. It is reporting network errors. It appears a platform change has resulted in that control being problematic. I may need to make a change to fix it, and will announce here when there is a driver update.

2 Likes

I have a question for you: when you turn OFF the Premier Roku from the SmartThings app Controls screen, does the button stay off for you? With most Roku “sticks”, they always report as ‘PowerOn’ even after after successfully turning the TV off, so the switch typically reverts right back to ON state.

I may need to treat the Premier Roku uniquely: it is neither a stick nor a TV. I’m wondering what it reports itself as? Could you do me a favor and go into a browser and enter this:

http://<premier roku IP address>:8060/query/device_info

and send me the results in a direct message? Thanks in advance!

I am away from home today. I’ll be able to get back to you tomorrow morning

1 Like

@TAustin It looks like my list of favorites is not pulling up when creating a scene or routine. Is this a known issue?

On another note, I LOVE to see a feature to create virtual buttons for navigation functions to make it possible to automate things like: Launch Hulu > Down > Select

Most Streaming Apps require a selection before content is played.

You won’t get the list of presets on the automation creation screen. You need to know the preset ID of the channel you want. To find that out, you’ll have to plug this into your browser:

http://<Roku-device-IP-address>:8060/query/apps

So for example:

http://192.168.1.120:8060:query/apps

You should get back a list of all the apps available on your Roku. You want to take note of the “app id” and use that in the “Play a favorite” field when you are creating your routine.

Unfortunately there is no way for SmartThings to display the list there, so it’s a bit of a hassle the first time - but at least the app ids don’t generally change. If you install new apps on your Roku, you’ll have to get their app id this way as well.

Could you not achieve this via an automation routine or Rule? The only thing you might want to be careful of is the timing. It might be necessary to include delays between the launch Hulu and subsequent key presses. Maybe or maybe not; you’d have to experiment. Others here may be able to offer some advice.

Looks like you are an Apple device and the browser isn’t displaying the data correctly. Do you have a Windows PC? You still might need a browser extension for XML and JSON to get a well-formatted display. I use “JSON Formatter”.

Yup. Needed to be on a computer. I found the App ID and works perfectly. Thank you for your help.

1 Like

DRIVER UPDATE NOTICE
Name: Roku Driver v1.0
Version: 2023-03-07T01:56:22.607548428
Channel: SmartThings. Add a little smartness to your things.

What’s New:

• Driver is now Version 1.0 and has been posted to my shared projects channel
    • I will be removing it from my test channel, so if you are currently using this driver, be sure your hub is enrolled in my shared projects channel (link above) to continue getting updates
  • Both Power On and Power Off are now included in the list of keypress options. For those with Roku sticks or Premier+, you may be able to turn on or off your TV using these commands, but beware that it depends on your TV’s HDMI support.
    • Note that the Power switch at the top of the Controls screen will always show ON, since this is what the Roku reports as its own power status. You can use this switch to try and turn off your TV - and it may or may not work - but for Roku sticks or Premier+, it will always revert immediately back to an ON state. I recommend using the explicit Power On and Power Off keypress commands either from the Controls screen or in automations, rather than the power switch.

If your SmartThings Roku device is not showing both the Power On and Power Off keypress options after you hub is updated, give it some additional time to get refreshed; it may also require an app restart to get it to update.

Are we no longer supposed to be able to see the on/off button from the app on the room page?

“Select a keypress” is grayed out and can’t be used.

I am also getting:

“The Device has not yet updated all its status information. Check again later”

I also had 2 tcl roku tvs working fine. Now, one of them says offline.

It can sometimes take extra time for the updated capability to actually update. Let me know if it’s still a problem after an hour or so.

1 Like

Nothing should have changed related to that.

It is all working now.

1 Like

Still doesn’t work.

Sounds like the driver didn’t update correctly, although I don’t have a Roku TV to be sure. Do you have the CLI? If so, try to force a re-install:

smartthings edge:drivers:install

If that’s not available, could you try deleting and rediscovering your device?