[ST Edge] Philips Hue LAN [BETA] (3rd Party Driver, Not ST Native) (2024 workaround in post #736)

Glad it is resolved. If you could answer the following, it would help me get an idea of what could have potentially happened:

1. Was the Hub device offline? Were any lights offline?
  2. Were you having trouble with lights, rooms or zones?
  3. Did you try a hub device refresh before restarting the ST hub?

Hey there,
thanks for this great integration.
Sadly, it doesn‘t work fully for me.

I could add the hub, it automatically added the connected lights. But I do not get to the Hub settings, where I could switch on room import etc.
Also, I can not import scenes for every light.

So the lights work, but nothing around it. This is frustrating, because „popcorn“-Effect is still there :smiling_face_with_tear:

I already deleted and added the Hue bridge again.

What do you suggest? Thanks in advance!

Some additional info: Hub v3, FW 045.00009, Account location GB (although I live in Germany - this is because Sonos integration only worked in GB at first), Hue bridge up2date

@Marcel_Wegener It sounds like you are using the stock Hue integration provided by ST. If you want to send me some screenshot in DM, I can take a look. Your screens should look like those included in the original post. To use this driver, or any edge driver at this point, you need to enroll your hub using the link at the top and use “Scan for nearby devices” in the discovery screen. If you go through the branded Hue setup, it will not use this driver.

I believe you are not using the driver since it imports room/zones by default and does not import lights. You also mentioned not having a settings screen. If it brought over lights by default, it wasn’t this driver.

1 Like
  1. Both hub devices and lights were not offline.
  2. lights, zones, rooms all of them.
  3. yes, I did.
1 Like

It sounds like the driver wasn’t running or possibly couldn’t find the Hue hub on the network after install. I’ll keep an eye on both scenarios. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Hi @blueyetisoftware ,

Just wondering, is there any chance you could surface the whole hub on/off switch:

maybe on the hub device itself?

I’m hoping it is not already there and I have missed a trick - it would be handy

I can see the “Philips Hue” and “Virtual Hub” but no scenes or rooms are coming through even when I drag to refresh the hub. Am I missing something? I left the “Settings” toggles as default.

I still have the stock Hue hub setup as well, rooms created etc for now.

I’ve tried deleting the detected hubs and trying again and also have rebooted the hubs individually.

Any ideas please?

It is not currently there but it is possible. I wasn’t sure what the main use case would be since you can’t create whole hub scenes and you can always create a whole home zone. How would you plan to use it?

Virtual Hub is from a different driver and isn’t related to Philips Hue. If your Rooms/Zones all imported fine and function (on/off) then it sounds like setup is fine. If it is just the scenes that are missing, I would go into a single room group and refresh it before trying anything else. It has been mentioned in previous posts, but the scenes API produces a ton of data and the socket layer of edge gets finicky when making the requests. There are some fallbacks that kick in eventually, but refreshing a single room will attempt to pull them manually.

Nothing other than the hubs are new after scanning. My existing ST rooms are the same as they always were. There’s no new rooms or scenes anywhere. Android ST app if that matters.

This driver doesn’t change your ST rooms. If you have rooms/zones in the Hue app, it can import those as lighting groups so you can turn them on and off as a group. If you go into discovery mode, and press the button on your Hue hub, it should find you Hue and import the Hub, Rooms and Zones. If desired, you can go into the imported hub and find the settings. From there, you can import other lights and devices.

Much like a whole home zone (that I have atm) but I am finding that for a reliable ‘all off’ I have to turn off all rooms, all zones and the whole home zone (via smart lighting). I’m thinking this may be a more reliable method and wouldn’t rely on maintaining an extra zone :blush:

1 Like

So it is pretty much for whole home on/off, not dimming

Yep, although dimming
 hmmmm :thinking:

Since this is now working for me, I discovered that this integration runs in the cloud.

Will local execution work in the future?

This driver runs locally. If you are looking in the IDE, it only says cloud because it hasn’t been updated for Edge.

3 Likes

Great, thanks!

Published 2022-10-27.21.24.11.54

• Fixed bug preventing discovery from finding Rooms and Zones

@DJDunk this is likely your issue. Thanks to @Marcel_Wegener for providing logs on this issue.

3 Likes

Thank you, this seems to have done the trick :sunglasses:

1 Like

I was looking at your use case and curious what you would think about a Home lighting group being created like a Room/Zone instead of adding it to the hub itself? It fits the Hue model better. The hub is technically a device and doesn’t support lights directly. The “Home” is an organization of devices like the Rooms. Bringing in a Home group device would be quick and fit their model.

You would have a whole home group without having to maintain it as a zone. It would be self maintained.