[ST Edge] ONVIF-compliant IP Camera Motion Detection & Video Streaming - Testers Wanted!

Hi - I currently have 7 CCTV cameras around the property, all of the same type, Foscam FI9900EP. To be fair, I never connected them to Smartthings as i was hitting upper device limits which are likely soon going to be resolved.

To my knowledge, these cameras are ONVIF-compliant, but I found some conflicting information online as to whether their motion detection is ONVIF-compliant.

Would someone familiar with these cameras please let me know about this, and also - does this driver apply to my specific camera model? Appreciate any replies.

Can anyone share their experiences so far with someone that has Motion events working and can view footage. Does it work as well as like the smartthings indoor cam in terms of responsiveness scrubbing through footage to see past motion events etc in the smartthings app? And triggering automations? And also do the notifications in iOS have a thumbnail or does it just say motion detected?

I think you may be disappointed… SmartThings is not ‘officially’ supporting video right now with Edge drivers and devices. The kind of functionality you are referring to is only available to select brandname cloud-based smartapps.

This driver can only make basic live video streaming available through camera groups. Android users get a slightly better user experience than iOS.

For many, the motion triggering is probably the more useful function since it allows you to build automations against standard SmartThings motion device states. No thumbnails.

@milandjurovic71 may be able to comment here since he had Foscam camera. I know he had some challenges with device discovery, but once he got passed that, video streaming worked fine. I honestly lost track of whether he was successfully using motion detection.

1 Like

Video streaming works fine, however i was not able to get motion reported. I have tried changing settings but motion never showed up. I have R2 v3 and v4, and video is smooth at 1920x1080

If i can figure out how to get motion that’s all I need.

@TAustin maybe the issue is that i can’t turn on motion switch at all. It always shows crossed cloud

I have tried both settings

1 Like

I will DM you. We need to figure that out!

2 Likes

I’m unable to get the driver to discover my Reolink RLN8-410 NVR. The device is ONVIF compliant. It also doesn’t seem to recognize my E1 Zoom. Any tips?

Please keep me posted @TAustin and @milandjurovic71 - appreciate all you’re doing and it would be great for me to finally have these cameras integrated. Many thanks.

1 Like

Why would you want it to discover your NVR? This driver is meant to interface directly with the cameras, not through an NVR.

I know someone else has gotten the E1 Zoom to work ok, so that shouldn’t be a problem. What kind of hub do you have? The wifi mesh hubs have a known problem with multicast discovery.

You could try using my manual device creator and see if you can have any success with that method. However if you do have a wifi router, you may be in uncharted territory.

1 Like

My cameras connect directly to the NVR, which has its own POE switch, and individual cameras aren’t exposed to the network, only via the NVR IP and subsequent RTSP streams for each channel (h264Preview_01, _02, etc). I would think this is a very common use case. Anyone that has this type of NVR would find themselves in this scenario, unless they used a separate POE switch and then to the NVR, which is a bit duplicatory.

I’m using a Ubiquiti Unifi UDM router and SmartThings V2 hub. I’m thinking it may be related to settings on the UDM re: multicast. I’ll look into that. Thanks for your input!

1 Like

Hi @TAustin & @milandjurovic71

I have 2 X Foscam R2M and 1 X FI9821P cameras.

Like @milandjurovic71 , the R2 cameras work really well for streaming and connect however the motion notification switch on does not work, it briefly switches on then goes off. I can supply logs if that would help trace the issue.

With regards the FI982, I cannot get a valid connection. The logs seem to indicate that the driver cannot determine the authentication method. I do not have the option of toggling ONVIF authorisation like on the R2 device

At the moment I use a SmartApp to turn on movement notifications when various mode changes, so hopefully if we can get motion event toggle working this driver will be an excellent replacement.

that is a good question. I have a reolink RLN8-410 NVR. works great. I also have a door sensor on a gate into my yard connected to smartthings. When the gate opens when I’m not at home, I’ll go note the time and review the footage when I get home. Thieves, kids , ex-wife, amazon etc. What I would like is when the gate is open a snapshot from a camera is sent to me via email. That way I know who is in my yard. I could use motion detection but it is always triggered. I could get a 1000 triggers a day or emails. I could lower sensitivity a little, but a snowblower walked out my yard without triggering a motion. unfortunately, reolink does not support external triggers, and having a cam triggered through smartthings to send picture would be great.
Something like that would be great
Thanks

I have found that ONVIF needs to be enabled in the Reolink PC client in order to be discovered.
Settings-Network-Advanced-Port Settings then toggle RTSP on and ONVIF will also toggle on.

1 Like

This is a good reminder. Some camera brands will require you explicitly enable ONVIF somewhere in the camera configuration settings.

Hi @TAustin ,

Excellent driver thank you for your efforts, any chance you could enable ‘paste’ into the user and password setting values?

I’m on android app (latest) and pasting is not available which is painful for full, many character secure user/password combinations…

Thanks for your thanks! I didn’t realize you couldn’t paste into Setting fields! Unfortunately that is a mobile app thing and not anything I can enable from the driver.

1 Like

Not everyone’s cup of tea but I use the Google keyboard. With it comes a text editing menu that should help.

1. Collapse the autofill
  2. Tap the 3 dots/ellipsis
  3. Tap Text Editing

See my screens below.

1 Like

I have installed this driver and was happy to see that the discovery picked up 7 cameras - my 6 CCTVs and my Doorbird doorbell camera. However, I haven’t managed to get them to work. The CCTV cameras are all Fosacm FI9900EP cameras, and they should be ONVIF compliant (I suppose they would not be discovered otherwise?).

The problem I have is that the onvifstatus remains Not responding. When I refresh, on some of them, I see that status toggle very briefly (fraction of a second) to Responding, but before you know it it is back to Not Responding. And I never get the stream.

I am pasting the log here - this happens when I press refresh, with some errors in there:

EDIT: Reading through earlier posts I realised we’re not supposed to paste logs in tthe thread, and so I have just removed the logs from here and will DM you @TAustin directly.

What am I doing wrong, please? Is there anything that needs to be configured besides the user name and password?

Specifically, perhaps - @milandjurovic71, how did you configure our Foscams to get the stream, at least, if not the motion sensor?

T,

WOW you are moving along with neat stuff.

Any chance RTSP in your pipeline of development activities?

I wanted to post after my earlier post that I solved the issue I had with Foscam and it works great for me. I was setting up - in the driver - my online Foscam password and I figured since it is onvif I needed a local password at the level of each individual camera, which I set up and entered into Smartthings. And it actually worked, I can now see most streams in a Camera Group and it works fine for me.

I have different problems now - like one of the Foscam cameras responding in the ST device but not showing a stream, how to get my Doorbird camera to also work (I am confident this will also work but requires a factory reset on my end as the vendor never gave me the password which would allow me to configure the device), and motion sensing for Foscam still not working, but I am pleased with the progress up till now.

Thanks a lot for this driver @TAustin, it’s just amazing, well done indeed.

Meanwhile, if anyone finds any way of getting motion sensing to work, I would really appreciate that. I have enabled motion sensing on 2 of my cameras, and the Foscam app is indeed sensing motion and sending me notifications, but Smartthings is not aware of these cameras sensing motion. I tried turning on motionevents2 but it keeps reverting to OFF state. I tried with different settings for Motion Rule Selection and Event Subscription - but the behaviour remains the same.

So - would appreciate it if anyone with these cameras lets me know if there’s been any luck in this area.- i.e. getting motion sensing to work on Foscam cameras.