[ST Edge] Issues pairing a device with the driver

@veonua Actually SmartThings still support mirror in Smart Lighting. That’s how this can be done

the cube does not have “on/off” capability required for Smart Lighting.

I looked at that, but could not create a routine because the cube did not show up as a trigger

In case of no on/off, just button capability, i am using Mariano’s driver for light and temperature level. Works great any multi button devices

1 Like

For those interested in the mirror functionality, I shared in this post two examples using the Rules API, one for the Switch capability and the other for those capabilities that use commands with arguments to set the attribute’s value (in this case, switchLevel).

Feel free to post your doubts or thoughts. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

can you show us any successful use of the Rule API by users?

it seems like this API has no traction, only ST team is able to run basic rules, that can be created in the app within a couple of clicks.

1 Like

@nayelyz Or if we can join that Rule Builder tool, even if it is in Beta stage. Anyway Edge is in Beta too.
I am pretty sure any user input is good input.

I don’t have webCoRE installed.

I don’t have Smart Lighting installed.

I have 3 Routines in the app. Two of those are only because Notifications weren’t documented for the Rules API last time I checked and they are beyond my limited reverse engineering abilities (my abilities being limited to making guesses). The remaining one is to change a Location mode at a certain time and is only there because I need to enable and disable it easily.

I have 3 Scenes in the app. This bothers me. If Scenes could be created independently from the app I’d move them all immediately. Alternatively if there was a Rule to execute another Rule directly I’d be using that.

I only have in the region of 80 to 90 Rules as my needs are simple. It worries me that there is said to be a limit of 100 Rules. The minimum needs to be at least 500.

I’m afraid in this context you don’t count @orangebucket, you even have “Developer” in your tag. A “user” would be any regular user, that has only one hub, is not a developer, does not create device type handers, has an I.Q. less than 170, of which precisely zero are using the Rules API @nayelyz

1 Like

Here are two demo tools that can help you understand how to build a Rule and create/delete it.

1. Crafting a Rule. This tool helps you build Rules using:
  • Time references to turn on/off a Switch
  • Turn on/off a device based on the temperature of another (above, below)
  • Turn on/off a device when presence is detected
  • Turn on/off a device when the location mode changes
  • Lock/unlock a device when an event lasts for x amount of minutes

Note: Please, avoid submitting a Rule from this tool unless you save its ID, this is because it won’t be listed on the other tool or in the request to the API (Rules endpoint) using a Personal Access Token (PAT).

1. Listing, creating, and deleting Rules. This other tool helps you execute these actions on the selected location.
  • To create the Rule, you must paste a valid Rule in the Submit Rule tab and click on “Submit”. It can be one from the samples or one crafted in the other tool.
    Note: you can check how to change the commands/conditions to adapt it for other capabilities, also, you can get creative and combine them to form a more complex Rule.
  • To delete a Rule, you can list the existing ones in the “List Rules” tab, get its ID and use it on the “Delete Rule” tab

Note: Remember that all the Rules created here won’t be retrieved using a PAT, also, the ones created with this type of token won’t appear in the tool.

We also welcome anyone who is interested in building and maintaining an independent app on top of the API, we love seeing the Community members’ great ideas and skills and of course, I’ll be glad to help in case questions come up.

1 Like

Have these tools been updated? I checked this out a couple of years ago. I created a test rule in which a Xiaomi temp sensor turned on a ceiling fan at 72F. It worked but I don’t remember why Ii stopped using it. I remember I did have trouble deleting the rule, and had to delete the trigger to delete the rule.

@veonua
Can you add more functions to the cube. for now, for me only face and dimmer are working. I wish Tap, Toss , rotate and more will be available. Also RSSI and LQI

Also for everyone that wants the dimmer. I manage to mirror my cube dimmer to my office dimmer with Sharptools Rule Engine by using variables works for me (I think that using variables are not free @joshua_lyon) . Here is what I did:

1 Like

toss works as well,

RSSI and LQI numbers seems kind of random for me , don’t want to clutter my history with noise

Although tap and toss available in automations , in practice when tapping on the cube nothing happen. Also nothing appear in Cube controls. I can see only FACE. Dimmer, Motion Sensor (don’t know what means), Temperature Alert and Battery.
LQI and RSSI both are parameters that represent the signal reception at the device could you please add.

Im not sure how long have you used the cube before, there are several obserrvations

there are tabs Routines

and History

the action capability is available there.

In my experience, the pressure sensitivity is very low, if you press your finger on the cube, it will not trigger an action. You must grab the cube and knock on a hard surface, usually twice

Motion capability, the cube sends the signal as it wakes , and its very sensitive.
So you can use the cube as the vibration sensor.

I use this feature for alarms

The temperature alarm will go away eventually, as im cleaning and aligning the view across devices .

Thanks,

1. Can you add Action to controls screen. I can only see that in History which is less convenient. That way I will able to see shake, Flip and others.
  2. Tap never works (Shake works), and I tried very hard, even with screwdriver. Please check
  3. RSSI and LQI will be nice. No need to keep in History.
  4. Looking forward for Temp. Alarm to be removed.

I really appreciate your work !!

I use one of these. All the functions work as intended, however, it is a bit sensitive. The DTH by DroidSector exposed the debounce time, which could be changed for user sensitivity. I believe the default time for debounce was 3600ms. Maybe this helps.

3 Likes

could you please clarify the debounce.
Which gestures or use cases do you have in mind.

debouncing: Bouncing is the tendency of any two metal contacts in an electronic device to generate multiple signals as the contacts close or open; debouncing is any kind of hardware device or software that ensures that only a single signal will be acted upon for a single opening or closing of a contact.

I’ve noticed with my cube that a very small movement can activate the cube function, but a larger movement doesn’t do anything. I suspect it is the “bounce” in the switch. Changing the debounce time allows for broader movement, or less sensitivity to accidental movement.

I am just an end user and not a coder so I don’t know how to implement the code. My understanding is it’s used a lot in Arduino.

I am not aware of any settings of Aqara cube that can change sensitivity or bouncing.

The only thing that driver does is translates Zigbee messages from a cube to ST events.

There is filtering on the actions , and only minor processing on the rotation,